New pc time

Associate
hi all, am thinking of finally changing my 14 year old pc.

It's slowly becoming slower and slower. So thinking it's to to just purchase a new pc as the current specs are Intel core 2 duo E4500, 3gb ram, with a as rock conroe 133-d667 motherboard and ati radeon HD 4600 series graphics card.

ideally i only use a pc to surf and watch my own sourced tv content at the minute but eventually I'd like to upgrade to be able to run something like Microsoft Flight Simulator, although that's not a necessity right now.

i've not built a pc for many of years so hoping you more knowledgeable people will be able to point me in the right direction please.

Think with graphics cards prices been stupid its prob best leaving alone, unless someone can point out something that would be usuable for time been as budget wise at minute is £500-700

Man of Honour
The onboard graphics of the 5600g will allow you to play games at 720p and 1080p depending and the 6 vord vpu will be strong enough to handle a powerful gpu. Power supply ive gone 750w which will allow you to add a decdnt gpu up to a 3080ti. Mobo woth Wi-Fi.

There are other oprions to explore but this is just one .

Review 5600g.

https://www.tomshardware.com/uk/reviews/amd-ryzen-5-5600g-review

CODE My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £642.24 (includes shipping: £12.30)​

Soldato
Associate
OP
The onboard graphics of the 5600g will allow you to play games at 720p and 1080p depending and the 6 vord vpu will be strong enough to handle a powerful gpu. Power supply ive gone 750w which will allow you to add a decdnt gpu up to a 3080ti. Mobo woth Wi-Fi.

There are other oprions to explore but this is just one .

Review 5600g.

https://www.tomshardware.com/uk/reviews/amd-ryzen-5-5600g-review

CODE My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £642.24 (includes shipping: £12.30)

This looks good thank you, just out of curiosity what is the performance difference on the 5600g compared to something like the 3600x ? Just thinking all options.

Also, would it be worth stretching for the 5700g ? Is there enough gain to warrant the extra cost ?

Man of Honour
This looks good thank you, just out of curiosity what is the performance difference on the 5600g compared to something like the 3600x ? Just thinking all options.

Also, would it be worth stretching for the 5700g ? Is there enough gain to warrant the extra cost ?
5600g is better than the 3600x plus your getting the added onboard graphics until you aquire a gpu. I wouldnt stretch to the 5700g it would be best to put the money towards a gpu something lkke a 6600xt around £400.

You can always sign up for 3060ti stock alerts @Craig_d1 can guide you on that, im sure he wont mind.

If you can afford a gpu now then get the 5600x or a 3600 just depends on where you want your funds to go.

Associate
5600g is better than the 3600x plus your getting the added onboard graphics until you aquire a gpu. I wouldnt stretch to the 5700g it would be best to put the money towards a gpu something lkke a 6600xt around £400.

You can always sign up for 3060ti stock alerts @Craig_d1 can guide you on that, im sure he wont mind.

If you can afford a gpu now then get the 5600x or a 3600 just depends on where you want your funds to go.

Thanks Mickyflinn:cry::cry:. Been thinking about just make a thread and when people get one just post on there, to keep it near front of threads.
Hi shaynemawer
FE cards are easy enough to set up to give you at least a fighting chance of getting one

You need to install telegram on your phone firstly.
Then subscribe to 'FE PartAlert'
This gives you access to all FE drops in europe. You'll only be able to get a uk one though now.
Worth going to the relevant distributor and setting up an a/c beforehand just to make it easier. A fellow forum member posted once of failing to acquire one after failing to get as guest
Also take too long, it'll leave your cart
A drop can happen any time mon-fri during working hours
Last drop was yesterday, 3060ti went in 5 mins, 3070ti's took 40 mins and know a few people that got one, so guessing was quite a large drop. 3060ti and 3080 go fastest, then other 2. Generally 3080ti and 3090 hang around for 1-2 hours as pricey
Worth keeping an eye for when drops happen in europe as generally if one happens there(large one), one happens in Uk a day or 2 later, sometimes other way round.
Prices 3060ti £369, 3070 £469, 3070ti £529, 3080 £649, other 2 over £1k. you'll have to pay £11 odd for postage too

Only 1 card per person/ per household, so you wont be able to get another thru partners bank card etc

Good luck

Bear in mind 5600g and 5700g, in order to fit the agpu on it, they halved the size of the L3 cache, which hampers performance on the cpu side to a degree on some tasks..a 5600x will beat a 5600g when both have the same dedicated gpu because of the L3 cache difference

you never know, with China making crypto mining illegal today, might be more gpu's heading our way

Associate
OP

unfortunately stretching the budget is unlikely, so think i'll just go via no gpu for now.

thank you for your help, muchly appreciated.

Associate
OP
Thanks Mickyflinn:cry::cry:. Been thinking about just make a thread and when people get one just post on there, to keep it near front of threads.
Hi shaynemawer
FE cards are easy enough to set up to give you at least a fighting chance of getting one

You need to install telegram on your phone firstly.
Then subscribe to 'FE PartAlert'
This gives you access to all FE drops in europe. You'll only be able to get a uk one though now.
Worth going to the relevant distributor and setting up an a/c beforehand just to make it easier. A fellow forum member posted once of failing to acquire one after failing to get as guest
Also take too long, it'll leave your cart
A drop can happen any time mon-fri during working hours
Last drop was yesterday, 3060ti went in 5 mins, 3070ti's took 40 mins and know a few people that got one, so guessing was quite a large drop. 3060ti and 3080 go fastest, then other 2. Generally 3080ti and 3090 hang around for 1-2 hours as pricey
Worth keeping an eye for when drops happen in europe as generally if one happens there(large one), one happens in Uk a day or 2 later, sometimes other way round.
Prices 3060ti £369, 3070 £469, 3070ti £529, 3080 £649, other 2 over £1k. you'll have to pay £11 odd for postage too

Only 1 card per person/ per household, so you wont be able to get another thru partners bank card etc

Good luck

Bear in mind 5600g and 5700g, in order to fit the agpu on it, they halved the size of the L3 cache, which hampers performance on the cpu side to a degree on some tasks..a 5600x will beat a 5600g when both have the same dedicated gpu because of the L3 cache difference

you never know, with China making crypto mining illegal today, might be more gpu's heading our way

cheers for this, will deffo take this onboard when i decide to grab a gpu.

am guessing as a very casual user and prob never get into pc gaming that i wont really notice the difference between the 5600g and 5600x.

Man of Honour
unfortunately stretching the budget is unlikely, so think i'll just go via no gpu for now.

thank you for your help, muchly appreciated.
Your welcome.

You may have to update the bios on the motherboard for the cpu to work this can be done with bios flashback feature on the motherboard which the Msi board i recommend has. No need for another cpu .

Any furher questions?

Associate
OP
Your welcome.

You may have to update the bios on the motherboard for the cpu to work this can be done with bios flashback feature on the motherboard which the Msi board i recommend has. No need for another cpu .

Any furher questions?

okay, did read that somewhere. so i'll prob bug you when the time comes..

Still so undecided if to grab a graphics card now or not with the build. At most i'll prob just use flight sim for a muck about really, although do have the G923 steering wheel for my ps5 so i could use that for some pc games as well..... choices lol.

What would be the best graphics card to purchase for around £400 now ? that'll take the build to around £1000 mark which am pretty happy about and then if i grab a gpu what cpu would you suggest then please.

Man of Honour

Still so undecided if to grab a graphics card now or not with the build. At most i'll prob just use flight sim for a muck about really, although do have the G923 steering wheel for my ps5 so i could use that for some pc games as well..... choices lol.

What would be the best graphics card to purchase for around £400 now ? that'll take the build to around £1000 mark which am pretty happy about and then if i grab a gpu what cpu would you suggest then please.
6600xt is the best for available for £450 something like this wirh 3 year warranty .

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/giga...ddr6-pci-express-graphics-card-gx-1ej-gi.html

5600x cpu would be my choice along with a better cpu cooler for about £30.

Soldato

If you set up telegram alerts and be patient then a 3060ti FE can be had for £369 and is the best value for money GPU.

This thread had some good info and tips on how to get one.

https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/threads/30xx-series-founders-edition.18900183/page-524

Associate
OP
so after taking onboard everyones advice and having a read. think i know my plan of action.

firstly am going hopefully grab a gpu asap, i've signed up on telegram and will look to get the 3060ti (fingers crossed) then once ive physically got a card in my hands i'll then splash the cash and and complete my build using the suggesting's on here. It'll take my build around the £1000 mark, but hopefully that will keep me happy for a few years.

Last edited:
Associate
last drop was thurs 23rd, but europe had another drop on the sat(never seen that before), so fingers crossed might be another one soon for you

Associate
OP
Fuming, missed out on this mornings 3060ti drop due to my stupid bank Natwest. Kept asking me to approve the transaction via the mobile app. Yet when I did and went back to purchase page to clicked "ive approved button" it would just back out to payment screen again without letting me hit the button. Sad times

Back
Top Bottom