• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Alder Lake-S leaks

Caporegime
Gaming performance will depend on 3 things.

The speed of Alderlake Intercore communication, Intel have a lot of catching up to do against AMD with that, AMD's CPU limited performance in games is a lot higher than it is in Cometlake / Rocketlake because Zen 3 intercore latency is much faster than Intel.

If Intel can keep the workload in games entirely with in the big cores.

And the DDR5 question with those incredibly loose timings.

PE: Ashes of the Singularity is not gaming, its just AI Calc.

GSVcwoc.png

Caporegime
You are on higher end AMD chip if I remember right?

Would you upgrade based on what you know up to now about the 12900k for gaming alone? Let’s face it these CPU’s will be pre order, so it would be based on what info we have now.

5800X @ ~5Ghz

I have no intention of upgrading the CPU for at least 2 years now, i'm still waiting to upgrade the GPU :mad: RTX 2070 Super, MSI Gaming X.

We really don't know anything about Alderlake gaming, nothing at all yet :)

Last edited:
Soldato
We really don't know anything about Alderlake gaming, nothing at all yet :)
I would only upgrade for around a 30% jump in everything, and since it would involve new ram and board, it would need to be able to at least take one cpu upgrade with another 15 or 20+% gain for me.

Maybe next year or the year after is the best, hard to say at the moment. Either way you go you'll probably get 1-2 upgrades maximum on a given board though. Would be nicer if we could get 3 possible upgrades on one board but seems unlikely.

Soldato
OP
let's hope Alder Lake's single core synthetic actually translates into something usable, unlike Rocket Lake.

Going to come down to latency.

rocket lake had a solid 20% ipc improvement but zero gaming improvement due to the increased memory and inter core latency. If they've fixed the latency problems then there is last years 20% ipc and alder lakes 20% ipc to take advantage of - 40% gaming improvement? Hopefully

Soldato
They'll need to manage some boost, as it would be unlikely people will massively plump for the twice the wattage chip to do the same task, unless it has some actual real world benefit, but people might just look at a single core thread on cb r23 and throw their cash.

I'm very interested to see how this plays out. The difference win11 versus win10 makes( i assume for the better), the difference ddr4 and ddr5 makes(i actually think ddr4 systems will be better initially), and indeed the difference various configs of cores active versus disabled make.
If that CB run was from a chip with virtually all cores switched off, then it isn't legit. Probably isn't but you never know.

When is the review NDA have we any idea?

Soldato
Zen 3D cache edition is looking a bit dodgy in light of these alder leaks.
Not really. Every Alder Lake leak is a synthetic score, and we already saw Rocket Lake's synthetic scores totally vanish in the real world when used in actual real systems on actual real tasks. Plus, every Alder Lake leak puts it against vanilla Zen 3. All we know about Zen 3D is an average 15% uplift in games on a 12 core prototype, with the occasional rumour saying anything from 10% to 25% depending on workload.

So best case scenario is Alder Lake's synthetics transpose to the real world, and Zen 3D gets a 10% boost over vanilla. That means the 12900K will outperform a 5950X by about 20% whilst consuming twice the power. That's a very slim lead for "best case scenario", not sure what's "dodgy" about Zen 3D.

Associate
Zen 3D cache edition is looking a bit dodgy in light of these alder leaks. Can see an AMD discount special hitting the shops.

We know that Zen3 scales with cache more than anything else. A highly tuned Cezanne frequency matched to a 5800x that’s running much lower IF and Mem gets killed because it lacks the L3.

Really Zen 3 should continue to scale well with more cache until the bottleneck is somewhere else.

Associate
fc140350616717f8b056293be4533ddca21acb16dbf5857d8c4b73e26dc6ca17.png

a79ee5d4631f49fd6706d62ac97bab17d055baca8143911b9538182e227c2305.png

Caporegime
If Alderlake is significantly faster than Zen 3 i can't wait to see people cry foul play when the obligatory GPU benchmarks get pushed out as CPU benchmarks because no one plays games at 1080P with low settings and showing realistic use cases is more important than the performance differences between CPU's.

Because a 10850K costs the same as a 5800X and at 1440P high settings they are the same performance and that's all i need to know, how they might perform comparatively next year with an RX 7800 or RTX 4800 is not at all relevant to anyone....

Well lucky for me i'm smarter than they are.

Soldato
Well if the NDA on reviews is a day of launch, then worry, if the NDA is well in advance of launch then a bloody good perf increase is on the way.
Lets wait and see.

Back
Top Bottom