petrol stations price discussion (was ‘chaos’)

Associate
Soldato
can you syphon petrol from modern cars ?
had been planning trip today, but only enough to get there, where one of family members has a full tank

Modern cars have an anti-syphon mesh in the filler pipe, plus most these days have some form of flap that won't open easily unless you insert the correct sized filler nozzle to prevent miss filling.

Gone are the days of disconnecting the feed pipe to the carb and then using the fuel pump to fill a can.

Associate
Instead of a maximum spend limit they should do a minimum spend, that would be rather interesting!

Screwing over many people in the process, my motorcycle has a 20litre tank, £20 in a car isn't going to move the guage much, but £20 in my bike is almost full. Scooters can't cram more than £10 in at a time. Little and often, which is why us 2 wheelers that need to get to and from work are struggling. Setting a maximum limit like some stations have, screws over the people that need to travel many miles, they'll be needing to stop to refuel 3 or 4 times to get to their destination which they could otherwise do with 1 full tank.

I don't have the solution (other than castrating the mindless fools that cause this mess) but minimum / maximum buy is not it.

Jerry cans are slightly less of an issue, however if you legitimately run out of fuel because of this mess you may well need to fill up a jerry can...

Associate
No issues for me yesterday in Gainsborough, Lincolnshire. Popped to Morrisons in the evening, petrol station was nearly empty so topped up as I'm heading home today (150 miles or so) towing a trailer and it sucks fuel

Associate
got fuel yesterday as I was out and about and under 1/4 tank, signs up saying transactions are limited to £30 but they didn't appear to have set that to be in place as the pump over from me showed £40 was the last sale. I put in £30 as it seemed like the right thing to do and that's usually what I put in anyway. Could have filled it up but in a week I expect this will all be over.

Caporegime
And I'm reading this morning its the Road Haulage Association who leaked the "problem" to the media - and said media stirred up the panic , no surprise there, an organisation about as much use to my industry as an empty fuel tank....

I think this was leaked by them all to push the government into giving visa's for Lorry drivers. Instead of solving the problem of pay and conditions.

Soldato
Modern cars have an anti-syphon mesh in the filler pipe, plus most these days have some form of flap that won't open easily unless you insert the correct sized filler nozzle to prevent miss filling.

Gone are the days of disconnecting the feed pipe to the carb and then using the fuel pump to fill a can.

These days thieves just drill the fuel tank and drain it that way.

Permabanned
This is not going to resolve anytime soon alas.

But hey, don't worry, 5000 foreign drivers will rock up next week and save the day..../ after the debacle of them being stranded last Christmas? Really? and, its a 3 month scheme, just how many are going to look at our offer of "Come over and save us for 3 months then **** off back home" and think "Great, I'm on my way"....

Would assume the wage was better here? else why would they bother but I also can't see a temporary visa helping much. What long term plan has this gov got or is it standard bojo wing it....

Soldato
Screwing over many people in the process, my motorcycle has a 20litre tank, £20 in a car isn't going to move the guage much, but £20 in my bike is almost full. Scooters can't cram more than £10 in at a time. Little and often, which is why us 2 wheelers that need to get to and from work are struggling. Setting a maximum limit like some stations have, screws over the people that need to travel many miles, they'll be needing to stop to refuel 3 or 4 times to get to their destination which they could otherwise do with 1 full tank.

I don't have the solution (other than castrating the mindless fools that cause this mess) but minimum / maximum buy is not it.

Jerry cans are slightly less of an issue, however if you legitimately run out of fuel because of this mess you may well need to fill up a jerry can...

I guess it depends how hard the limit it to change, can't be that hard can it? Just change it for bikers. I do agree that It is a bit of an extreme solution.

Soldato
I can just see all these foreign drivers running to a country that literally kicked them out a few months ago to just get kicked out again when the problem goes. People who have left won't be running back, it's not worth it. The working conditions are not good it's not just the pay... This country is such a mess it's genuinely a joke. Reason there's a fuel shortage is people panic buying and nothing else.

Soldato
I can just see all these foreign drivers running to a country that literally kicked them out a few months ago to just get kicked out again when the problem goes. People who have left won't be running back, it's not worth it. The working conditions are not good it's not just the pay... This country is such a mess it's genuinely a joke. Reason there's a fuel shortage is people panic buying and nothing else.

What is the pay and conditions like in other countries for truck drivers, I wouldn't think its much different?

Soldato
What is the pay and conditions like in other countries for truck drivers, I wouldn't think its much different?

Well in Eastern Europe where many came from, WAY lower. Also much worse working conditions/terms.

Which is why many flocked to the UK in the first place. It's a better life. People here don't know what they have.

Soldato
Well in Eastern Europe where many came from, WAY lower. Also much worse working conditions/terms.

Which is why many flocked to the UK in the first place. It's a better life. People here don't know what they have.

correct - and we didn’t kick’ anyone out. They just left as it became less lucrative to stay here. Christ some remainers will use brexit to blame anything and everything.

There is a shortage of HGV drivers in most European countries - it’s not just the UK.

Soldato
correct - and we didn’t kick’ anyone out. They just left as it became less lucrative to stay here. Christ some remainers will use brexit to blame anything and everything.

There is a shortage of HGV drivers in most European countries - it’s not just the UK.

Yea it's Europe wide. Theres something like 200k vacancies across Europe. Which means people just don't want to do it anymore.

Soldato
I agree the people who went crazy with jerry cans etc etc but the government are also the ones spreading this ONLY 100 stations closed nonsense.

Utter nonsense. The a handful of stations closed story caused panic buying due to misuse of the words "fuel shortage". Then the panic buying made large numbers of fuel stations running out become true.

Back
Top Bottom