Lithuania urges people to throw away Chinese phones

Soldato
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-58652249

Consumers should throw away their Chinese phones and avoid buying new ones, Lithuania’s Defence Ministry has warned.

A report by its National Cyber Security Centre tested 5G mobiles from Chinese manufacturers.

It claimed that one Xiaomi phone had built-in censorship tools while another Huawei model had security flaws.

Not often you see News from Lithuania.

Soldato
Interesting and not unexpected. But wonder how much of that is driven by politics.. all these researchers always come up with something when the time is right. Not that I support China just odd timing

Associate
I look at it differently:

Given the choice of a backdoor for PLA's espionage, the KGB (whatever they call themselves now), or the NSA, which one would I choose to be spied on by?

Well, the one which has the least reach in this country. Which actually happens to be the PLA.

Obviously if you are a Chinese dissent that calculation is totally different and your lesser evil would be the NSA.

What I always found suspect in the whole Huawei spying thing is that was mostly driven by commercial interests plus lack of backdoors for "our guys".

Guess it takes poachers to know a poacher!

Soldato
I look at it differently:

Given the choice of a backdoor for PLA's espionage, the KGB (whatever they call themselves now), or the NSA, which one would I choose to be spied on by?

Well, the one which has the least reach in this country. Which actually happens to be the PLA.

Obviously if you are a Chinese dissent that calculation is totally different and your lesser evil would be the NSA.

What I always found suspect in the whole Huawei spying thing is that was mostly driven by commercial interests plus lack of backdoors for "our guys".

Guess it takes poachers to know a poacher!
For average person I guess it doesn't matter, but maybe politicians and the like shouldn't be using Chinese phones.

Back
Top Bottom