Anyone know any old British scary series/films?

Soldato
I've recently been watching 2 older programmes.

The first one is a 7 part childrens programme called Children of the Stones.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Children_of_the_Stones

The plot seems to be this scientist guy as to visit a village. He takes his son along, who is an aspiring scientist. But they quickly find that the village itself is in some kind of time loop. Also during their stay they noticed some people aren't quite right, like they have been brainwashed. They only have happy thoughts and will greet each other by saying "Happy Day".

The other one is a film called The Stone Tape.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Stone_Tape

The film is about a recording company that is building a new system. They move in to a very old house. But in one of the rooms there is a ghost. So they set about trying to monitor it using their newly built equipment by testing different things to try and trigger it to re-appear. The film inspired the thought that ghosts are instances stored and replayed when certain events happen, the stone tape theory. As a bonus the film also stars a young Jane Asher.

Both of these programmes are on Youtube to watch. Does anyone know of any similar tv programmes from the old days?

Associate
I remember a thing called killer net, its a few episodes i think. You may like it, i think i did at the time, i dunno if id enjoy it as much now tho. But was interesting i think.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0127383/

Crikey, that is a blast from the past, I enjoyed it too. It was the year I got the Internet (1998).

Reminds me of the film with Sigourney Weaver who is agoraphobic, cant remember what its called, but if you like nineties hysteria around the net, worth a watch.

Never read or watched a Ruth Rendell mystery. Channel surfing the other day, one episode caught my attention as it had a dark even supernatural element. The episode I watched was called 'The Double' it was good. I only caught part of it and did a search & found it online. Certainly not what I expected (I thought it would be like an Agatha Christie whodunnit) its not. Its piqued my interest to read a Rendell novel or watch others at some point.

Soldato
OP
The Quatermass films?

The name rings a bell. When I was looking in to The Stone Tape film I found out that Nigel Kneale who wrote it was known for The Quartermass films. I think there is a few of them.

I downloaded a film called The Year of the Sex Olympics which Nigel also wrote. Apparently people are saying its an early take on what is reality tv these days. It was filmed in 1968 and stars a young Brian Cox and a certain Leonard Rossiter.

Soldato
I've been trying to find an old 80's era kids film, I think it's a film, it maybe just a made up memory, all I can remember is there was some mystical cave discovered in the UK and a bunch of scientists went to research it and inside the cave there was a load of little albino cave children who tried to kill the scientists when they were alone

Soldato
I've recently been watching 2 older programmes.

The first one is a 7 part childrens programme called Children of the Stones.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Children_of_the_Stones

The plot seems to be this scientist guy as to visit a village. He takes his son along, who is an aspiring scientist. But they quickly find that the village itself is in some kind of time loop. Also during their stay they noticed some people aren't quite right, like they have been brainwashed. They only have happy thoughts and will greet each other by saying "Happy Day".

The other one is a film called The Stone Tape.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Stone_Tape

The film is about a recording company that is building a new system. They move in to a very old house. But in one of the rooms there is a ghost. So they set about trying to monitor it using their newly built equipment by testing different things to try and trigger it to re-appear. The film inspired the thought that ghosts are instances stored and replayed when certain events happen, the stone tape theory. As a bonus the film also stars a young Jane Asher.

Both of these programmes are on Youtube to watch. Does anyone know of any similar tv programmes from the old days?

A Ghost Story For Christmas. The beeb did several of these in the 70s. Classic MR James ghost stories that are... unsettling, to say the least. "Whistle and I'll come for you" and "A warning to the curious" are creepy as hell.

Watch them on a dark night, just before going to bed for maximum effect.

Associate
A Ghost Story For Christmas. The beeb did several of these in the 70s. Classic MR James ghost stories that are... unsettling, to say the least. "Whistle and I'll come for you" and "A warning to the curious" are creepy as hell.

Watch them on a dark night, just before going to bed for maximum effect.

Definitely, they are brilliant. :)

Back
Top Bottom