petrol stations price discussion (was ‘chaos’)

Soldato
Yet those who voted to leave the EU are still in denial about the impact this has had and our weakened position within the world:
"There is evidence of HGV driver shortages across Europe, but the UK has been among the hardest hit by the problem.
This was because many European drivers went back to their home countries, or decided to work elsewhere.
When the UK was part of the single market, they used to be able to come and go as they pleased.
But the additional border bureaucracy after Brexit meant it was too much hassle for many of them to drive into and out of the UK.
Many drivers are paid by the mile or kilometre rather than by the hour, so delays cost them money.
Also, the decline in the value of the pound against the euro since the Brexit vote has meant that being paid in pounds has been less attractive for EU nationals."

Man of Honour
Coming back from a visit we drove past a BP garage with an empty forecourt and no 'empty' signs up so told the wife to turn around.
We drove onto the forecourt, I asked a staff member if they had petrol and we filled up.
We passed 3 stations going home all empty.

it was this one if anybody lives near it and needs petrol, my wife did need petrol before anybody asks but wasn't going to queue - https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.9...675hXBoow!2e0!7i16384!8i8192?hl=en&authuser=0

Associate
Yet those who voted to leave the EU are still in denial about the impact this has had and our weakened position within the world:
"There is evidence of HGV driver shortages across Europe, but the UK has been among the hardest hit by the problem.
This was because many European drivers went back to their home countries, or decided to work elsewhere.
When the UK was part of the single market, they used to be able to come and go as they pleased.
But the additional border bureaucracy after Brexit meant it was too much hassle for many of them to drive into and out of the UK.
Many drivers are paid by the mile or kilometre rather than by the hour, so delays cost them money.
Also, the decline in the value of the pound against the euro since the Brexit vote has meant that being paid in pounds has been less attractive for EU nationals."

Most left because of stagnant wages, poor conditions, and tax changes like IR35.
The Polish economy is much stronger than it used to be so many have found good jobs back home, or with the uncertainty over the coof, have sought work nearer home within the Schengen zone.
Drivers from the Balkan states are still exploited quite badly but this is mainly involving the cabotage rules allowing foreign registered trucks to do local work in other EU countries. It's a disgusting system which decimated decent working class jobs all across the EU.
Curiously, the Poles weren't very happy when Romania gained freedom of movement rights due to wage concerns, I guess they are racist gammon to.

Assume everyone will be delighted at substantial price rises for literally everything to fund wage rises.

Yes, let's keep paying poverty wages to keep stuff unsustainably cheap for you.

Soldato
Not me is it, its literally everyone and the majority of goods in the UK would be affected. Better wages are probably justified but everyone will have to meet the cost, businesses are not going to suck it up.

Maybe CEOs and board members should stop taking tens of millions a year from the profits (and even when there isn't much profit). They are the leeches of society.

Soldato
Not so bad if we all got a wage rise :/

Most government departments are going to collapse due to lack of staff, due to poor pay. They already are tbh.

Utter tripe. Old school Nasher nonsense.

Most people in the public sector do so despite the poor pay. They get better conditions and (got) pensions to help make up for it. 95% of my colleagues aren't going anywhere else apart from a better job in the public sector.

Associate
Utter tripe. Old school Nasher nonsense.

Most people in the public sector do so despite the poor pay. They get better conditions and (got) pensions to help make up for it. 95% of my colleagues aren't going anywhere else apart from a better job in the public sector.

Maybe if a few of your public sector colleagues such as in the DVLA had bothered doing any work the last 18 months we would have a few more freshly qualified drivers.

Caporegime
Assume everyone will be delighted at substantial price rises for literally everything to fund wage rises.

I think we are at a crucial moment where jobs that actually make the country run will become more valuable. WFH jobs that add absolutely nothing to the working of the country will start to reduce in wages. It is really the governments fault making us a service based country really.

It has all been masked in the past 15 years by cheap foreign labour. Which in itself has been drying up all across Europe way before brexit happened. The Baltics and Eastern Europe have all basically been sucked dry hence why Romania, Bulgaria etc were all added in 2014. That has all ran out so I wouldn't be surprised to see Turkey and all those Yugoslav Republics being added next to make up the shortfall.

Soldato
Maybe if a few of your public sector colleagues such as in the DVLA had bothered doing any work the last 18 months we would have a few more freshly qualified drivers.

Fair point.

I was too busy implementing government policy that was dropped on us via a press conference, and keeping the social care systems working.

Reminds me, got 40 days holiday to take in the next 5 months, having hardly had a day off in 18 months... :D

Before someone keyboard warriors in with something dumb ... yes I'm counting my blessings. Not out of work, or on furlough ... or working for the NHS. It's been horrific for the healthcare and social care workers.

Associate
Fair point.

I was too busy implementing government policy that was dropped on us via a press conference, and keeping the social care systems working.

Reminds me, got 40 days holiday to take in the next 5 months, having hardly had a day off in 18 months... :D

I was helping to keep the country fed. No one clapped for us.

I think we are at a crucial moment where jobs that actually make the country run will become more valuable. WFH jobs that add absolutely nothing to the working of the country will start to reduce in wages. It is really the governments fault making us a service based country really.

It has all been masked in the past 15 years by cheap foreign labour. Which in itself has been drying up all across Europe way before brexit happened. The Baltics and Eastern Europe have all basically been sucked dry hence why Romania, Bulgaria etc were all added in 2014. That has all ran out so I wouldn't be surprised to see Turkey and all those Yugoslav Republics being added next to make up the shortfall.

This^^^^^

Back
Top Bottom