Greenlizard0 PL & Championship Football Thread ** spoilers ** [24th - 27th Sept 2021]

Soldato
Brentford and Man City the only sides in the Prem to have won every match so far this season on xG.

Bodes well for the rest of the season.

Caporegime
We've made quite a few teams play shocking this season... funny that ;)

Many factors to the outcome of the game, Brentford were very good but many of Liverpool’s issues (not least the goals conceded) were seriously self inflicted and a failure by Klopp/team to adapt to what Brentford were achieving.
Subs even made things worse tbh

Soldato
Many factors to the outcome of the game, Brentford were very good but many of Liverpool’s issues (not least the goals conceded) were seriously self inflicted and a failure by Klopp/team to adapt to what Brentford were achieving.
Subs even made things worse tbh

It took a good half season during our first year in the Championship for sides (opposition fans) to realise it wasn't just them having a nightmare against us, and that we were well worth our point or three, as it kept on happening week in week out. I wonder how long it'll take in the Prem?

If you're playing a team with obviously better and far more technical players, you've got to beat them tactically and that's what we did. We overloaded the back post, Toney was dragging both Matip and VVD into duels, and beating them, Mbuemo was getting in behind, and we held our shape brilliantly.

I think you'd find we are equally disappointed with our defending for two of your goals as you are with three of ours, but sometimes you have to admit that the other team out-manoeuvres you at various points in the game. E.g. the ball over from Fabinho was sublime, and while I'm not happy with Rico Henry's positioning, it is a fantastic pass and run.

I'm just disappointed we didn't win :D

Soldato
A chance created for Werner and Lukaku have the same xG but I know who I’d want the chance to drop too.

The public get to see a very basic, vanilla type of xG. Those using it to assess or gamble have access to far more significantly quantitative data applied to individual players too.

Both the Brentford and Brighton owners have become almost/probable billionaires from using xG accurately... so it might not all be rubbish.

fez

fez

Caporegime
Its a load of rubbish, it’s a fancy way of quantifying chances created.

A chance created for Werner and Lukaku have the same xG but I know who I’d want the chance to drop too.

What has that got to do with anything. xG is saying "with the average player in this position you will expect to score X% of the time". Better players should result in a higher goal count than the xG and worse players will be the opposite. Either way, it tells you how many good chances you are creating as a team and how many you are conceding which is probably the most vital stat you can know. Shots and shots on target are useless in comparison.

Back
Top Bottom