Poll: ** LG 27GP950 AVAILABLE TO PRE-ORDER NOW - LIMITED AVAILABILITY **

Do you have any black screen issues?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Associate
well that's my bubble burst, destiny 2, 2 black screens back to back after aprox 2.5h play time. I thought it happened on Thursday night but it was so fast and i was in a transition screen that i wasn't sure if it was the game or a genuine black screen so held of saying anything until now.

I will try the cable that came with the monitor now and should it black screen with that, @NikTheSHNIK then i will have to return this for a refund I'm afraid.

Soldato
well that's my bubble burst, destiny 2, 2 black screens back to back after aprox 2.5h play time. I thought it happened on Thursday night but it was so fast and i was in a transition screen that i wasn't sure if it was the game or a genuine black screen so held of saying anything until now.

I will try the cable that came with the monitor now and should it black screen with that, @NikTheSHNIK then i will have to return this for a refund I'm afraid.

Keep us updated with the stock cable.

I actually think LG needed to get more involved with this issue. The amount of users here and over reddit and other forums clearly shows that this unit does have some major design issues.

Associate
I was also told to go through LG by OCUK because it was over the 30day period.

After phoning LG (as mentioned earlier, twitter and their webnote/email is totally useless), they have arranged for someone to come to my house to do a repair/diagnostic.... not quite sure what that's going to do.

I feel a bit weird letting some guy into my office to watch me game until it happens!

Associate
I was also told to go through LG by OCUK because it was over the 30day period.

After phoning LG (as mentioned earlier, twitter and their webnote/email is totally useless), they have arranged for someone to come to my house to do a repair/diagnostic.... not quite sure what that's going to do.

I feel a bit weird letting some guy into my office to watch me game until it happens!
Will he be having a sleep over ha :p

Associate
Keep us updated with the stock cable.

I actually think LG needed to get more involved with this issue. The amount of users here and over reddit and other forums clearly shows that this unit does have some major design issues.

2 black screens tonight on the included standard cable. This isnt a manageable problem with the types of games i play, one of those screens lost me game progress.

browsing the web for a different 4k screen now.

Soldato
2 black screens tonight on the included standard cable. This isnt a manageable problem with the types of games i play, one of those screens lost me game progress.

browsing the web for a different 4k screen now.

Can you try running 1.4 without DSC this will be 4k 120hz so far I not had any black screen.

It doesn't correct the fact we paid money for 4k 144hz or 160hz.

Associate
I got my monitor on monday. It is nice, the colours kick ass for sure, everything is crisp, it is fast, fairly good default settings out of the box, though there are a couple of issues.

I do think (not that I have tried one but at a guess) that if we could get 4k VA monitors that get rid of the black smear and have low response times, those would be amazing monitors.

There is always a tradeoff it seems.

Black screen issue

So I got this following dp cable beforehand to be used with this monitor:
Displayport Cable 1.4 240Hz, DP 1.4 Cable 2M Support 8K@60Hz, 4K@144Hz, 2K@240Hz, HBR3 32.4Gbps, HDR, DSC 1.2, G-Sync & Free-Sync, Silkland Display Port Lead 1.4 for Gaming Monitor, Graphics Card

Unfortunately, it causes the screen to flicker black constantly every second or two, when the monitor is set to 144hz. I put it down to 60hz and then it was ok, but ofcourse that is not good enough. I tried a new hdmi 2.1 cable I had too which was up to 120hz, it was fine. Any idea why that might be?
Fortunately though, the dp cable which says "5k" on it supplied with the monitor seems to be working fine. I have had no black screen yet doing any activity on the monitor.

Reflections

A fair bit of reflection on this monitor I'm finding. Fine on coloured or white content though generally speaking. Just pretty bad when viewing something dark in the day time.

There is backlight bleed too in the corners but that is typical of this panel isn't it. It isn't awful, generally unnoticable, you can see a very slight brighter area on dark content, really isn't all that noticable. Seems like probably about average so I guess I did ok on the panel lottery.

Hi there I think I may follow your suggestions as I have 2x of these screens. And the 2x display port cables I currently use are supposedly support DSC, HDR @ 4k from Cable Matters but now im experiencing black screens and wake lock issues where despite the PC being on. After the monitors go into sleep mode they will not wake up. Just to confirm is this the cable you used? KabelDirekt – 3m – DisplayPort cable, DP 1.4, VESA-certified (8K at 60Hz, 144Hz, HDR10 – ideal for gaming monitors, FreeSync/G-SYNC, officially tested to VESA standards, black) Thanks

Associate
Hi there I think I may follow your suggestions as I have 2x of these screens. And the 2x display port cables I currently use are supposedly support DSC, HDR @ 4k from Cable Matters but now im experiencing black screens and wake lock issues where despite the PC being on. After the monitors go into sleep mode they will not wake up. Just to confirm is this the cable you used? KabelDirekt – 3m – DisplayPort cable, DP 1.4, VESA-certified (8K at 60Hz, 144Hz, HDR10 – ideal for gaming monitors, FreeSync/G-SYNC, officially tested to VESA standards, black) Thanks

The sleep lock issue is to do with the monitor going into deep sleep. i have it too if the PC sleeps for too long. Hopefully an update will come out for the monitor that allows teh feature to be switched off.

Soldato
So I think I can safely say running this monitor at DisplayPort 1.4 without DSC doesn't result in a black screen when Freesync is enabled. This does however reduces the refresh rate to max 120hz

Now I know my RX 6800 XT supports DSC and should run 144hz the 160hz option, I am not bothered about tbh but I would much like to have 144hz at least that is what even LG recommended for the monitor.

So is the fault with GPU driver? or DSC is the fault of the Monitor.

TBH I think I might just hang onto the monitor at 120hz is more than enough for gaming at 4k and the image quality upgrade over my 1440p monitor is night and day.

Associate
Can you try running 1.4 without DSC this will be 4k 120hz so far I not had any black screen.

It doesn't correct the fact we paid money for 4k 144hz or 160hz.

I have had black screens running at 120hz without DSC a 1080ti (standard cable) Adaptive Sync = Fast, DAS = On

However that was only in one game (Tales of Arise) and was far worse than other people have mentioned (black screen every 4-5 seconds), so it might just be a quirk of the game itself.

I also played 7 hours or so of Sable/Nioh 2 today, same settings, without a single black screen, so at this point I have no idea whats causing it

Associate
TBH I think I might just hang onto the monitor at 120hz is more than enough for gaming at 4k and the image quality upgrade over my 1440p monitor is night and day.

Obviously each to their own; but personally I feel that's not a reasonable solution - at the very least if people are willing to accept what are sub-standard goods to what was advertised, you should be pushing for a partial refund.

Associate
The sleep lock issue is to do with the monitor going into deep sleep. i have it too if the PC sleeps for too long. Hopefully an update will come out for the monitor that allows teh feature to be switched off.
I too had this issue with my LG where my PC wouldn't successfully wake up from a prolonged period of sleep. I put it down to a Windows Update or similar initially but after swapping out my LG the problem went away and chalked it up as another issue i had with this monitor :(

This is a stellar but deeply flawed monitor imo, especially so for the price tag.

Soldato
Obviously each to their own; but personally I feel that's not a reasonable solution - at the very least if people are willing to accept what are sub-standard goods to what was advertised, you should be pushing for a partial refund.

I 100% agree with you, it's just that the games I play anything above 120hz aren't something I am going to get very often.
I wouldn't recommend this monitor to anybody in its current situation.

Soldato
I have had black screens running at 120hz without DSC a 1080ti (standard cable) Adaptive Sync = Fast, DAS = On

However that was only in one game (Tales of Arise) and was far worse than other people have mentioned (black screen every 4-5 seconds), so it might just be a quirk of the game itself.

I also played 7 hours or so of Sable/Nioh 2 today, same settings, without a single black screen, so at this point I have no idea whats causing it

That isn't good reading, hopefully, I do not get any black screens otherwise I'm back to square one. So far it's been fine for me at 120hz but I would much rather go over a week of playing games to know for sure its not happening.

Associate
i tried 4:2:2 chroma, with 8bit colour. essentially what my old predator x27p did as the first 4k 144hz monitors did not have dsc.
Somehow this is worse for black screens, like 1 every 5 mins, i had to close my game after half hour despite the bandwith being 1/3 of that with 4:4:4 + 10 bit colour.

How is that possible.

Associate
i tried 4:2:2 chroma, with 8bit colour. essentially what my old predator x27p did as the first 4k 144hz monitors did not have dsc.
Somehow this is worse for black screens, like 1 every 5 mins, i had to close my game after half hour despite the bandwith being 1/3 of that with 4:4:4 + 10 bit colour.

How is that possible.
I assume because the units are just all faulty.

Soldato

How is that possible.

That makes no sense at all. So the black screen doesn't seem to be a bandwidth limit like me dropped down to 120hz.

Something is up with 144hz or DSC or something else all together.

Still no black screen for me running 120hz full RGB etc 10bit

Associate
It's so far better than expected. Super crisp. On screen control software is behaving oddly though - i click something then it just chimes when i try and click something else. Like there is a popup i cannot see that it would like me to react to.

I'm coming from an Acer Predator XB27HK 60Hz 4k panel. Also - it's tiny in comparison! Stand is unusual and would serve you well in a fight!

Backlight is interesting. Might enjoy that.

Had a quick bash at valorant and it seems to respond well. Much better than the Acer
I am coming from the same Acer 28" monitor and the LG does look disappointly small by comparison even if a lot of the difference is bezel. I felt a screen upgrade should always be bigger so have bought an Aorus FI32U and have now got to sell the LG.

Associate
Currently in the UK, it seems that LG is moving their repair facility, so are outsourcing things.
A third party turns up and does some basic diagnostics, thankfully i was able to show them my 'cold boot screen splitting' issue when they were here, else we could have been waiting for a while with the blank screen problem!
So they've now taken it away for further repairs. I should hear back in a week. I'm not sure if i will have to wait and see if they can replicate or if they know of a fix from LG for these issues.. or if they will just replace the screen and send it back to me.

More info to follow I guess.

Associate
That makes no sense at all. So the black screen doesn't seem to be a bandwidth limit like me dropped down to 120hz.

Something is up with 144hz or DSC or something else all together.

Still no black screen for me running 120hz full RGB etc 10bit
Hello, I am also an owner of this monitor and I just wanted to mention that turning DSC off is not a general solution - I have a 1080 Ti, so I am limited to 4k120Hz no-DSC by design and the issue is still present.
In my case FreeSync turned on seems to be the only constant when the black screen occurs.

Back
Top Bottom