LG 48CX OLED - 4K 120 Hz

Soldato
I'm not really sure how to get rid of it but there's text colour fringing on my 48CX. Makes it hard to use as my main monitor so i'm only using it for movies/games (and my 1440p 27" monitor for everything else)
Did you change the HDMI input to PC mode? To get there on my C1 I press the Input button on the control, then select the Home dashboard and in the top right there are three little dots that you click and then select 'edit' and you get a list of all your HDMI ports. Next to each one is an icon, select the one that your PC is connected to and you will be presented with a drop down list, select the PC icon from that list and hopefully that will fix the problem.

Associate
Has anyone had any issues with gsync not working since the last firmware update? Because for the life of me I can't get it working again. It says it's enabled in the control panel etc but there's visible tearing in all games, I even resorted to reinstalling windows last night but to no avail.

I've used gsync monitors for years so have a fair idea how to set it up and problem solve it, if it's not playing ball, but this has me completely stumped. I noticed it had stopped working around the time I updated the TV so that's why I'm thinking it could be that. Also wondering if it could be the hdmi cable but like I say it only stopped working last week when I updated the firmware, it was fine before that.

Edit:

Turned TV on this morning and after a week of head scratching and frustration, gsync is now clearly working! Happy days!

Last edited:
Associate
Anybody caught the WAN show last weekend? Linus spoke about OLED-ing your life, using this and that screen at home and the 48C1 at work.
Thankfully somebody provided the timestamps.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPidIspifRM&t=1774s

Strangely in his latest new desk video he put up a CX from the looks of it IIRC.
Anyway, after 1-2 months of using it he already notices image retention. Now that's really surprising, given the experience in this thread and my own after two-ish going on three months of use.
It actually made me watch one of those Burn in Test Pattern for OLED Panels videos, but I didn't notice anything, and keep having the same windows up.
I often split 50:50 with two browser windows, would have expected something in the middle. Nope, nothing.
Otherwise there's a lot of WoW going on with static UI elements, first in UHD, now with black bars at 1836p.

Taskbar is on screen 2 because auto hide is as buggy as it gets.
Blank black screen saver after 2 minutes.
Black desktop background.
Dark mode wherever possible.
Minimizing windows I don't need whenever I think of it.

It really makes me wonder how he set his screen up and how such a quick degradation was possible.

Associate
I'm starting to think that the 42inch version of this might be the only monitor to consider...still a bit big but should be so much better then IPS display it might be worth it... reckon we will get 42inc for £800 at some point?

Caporegime
I'm starting to think that the 42inch version of this might be the only monitor to consider...still a bit big but should be so much better then IPS display it might be worth it... reckon we will get 42inc for £800 at some point?

I would expect so, plenty of times the 48" has dropped below £900 now.

Associate
Anybody caught the WAN show last weekend? Linus spoke about OLED-ing your life, using this and that screen at home and the 48C1 at work.
Thankfully somebody provided the timestamps.

Strangely in his latest new desk video he put up a CX from the looks of it IIRC.
Anyway, after 1-2 months of using it he already notices image retention. Now that's really surprising, given the experience in this thread and my own after two-ish going on three months of use.
It actually made me watch one of those Burn in Test Pattern for OLED Panels videos, but I didn't notice anything, and keep having the same windows up.
I often split 50:50 with two browser windows, would have expected something in the middle. Nope, nothing.
Otherwise there's a lot of WoW going on with static UI elements, first in UHD, now with black bars at 1836p.

Taskbar is on screen 2 because auto hide is as buggy as it gets.
Blank black screen saver after 2 minutes.
Black desktop background.
Dark mode wherever possible.
Minimizing windows I don't need whenever I think of it.

It really makes me wonder how he set his screen up and how such a quick degradation was possible.

Anyone who can burn-in an OLED in just two months is an idiot, Linus is that idiot who doesn't know how to use one. I hide the taskbar on my OLED it's not buggy in Windows 10 also been using mine as a monitor\movies\streaming for over year now.

Associate
Anyone who can burn-in an OLED in just two months is an idiot, Linus is that idiot who doesn't know how to use one. I hide the taskbar on my OLED it's not buggy in Windows 10 also been using mine as a monitor\movies\streaming for over year now.

That's just it. He may be goofy on camera but I don't think he's that igit, which makes me wonder what the hell was going on, what settings he was using and what not.
In the end this may just have been a screwed up panel. Will we ever find out?

The taskbar, that's me. I like multitasking, run several browser profiles of Chrome for example, this, that. 30+ windows? Sure. Now where did I put that? It only takes ONE damn window claiming focus but not signalling as such.
The taskbar will not hide, just because one window pulled focus but did not pop up to the foreground. Then you're stuck clicking through all the windows, trying to find it, or you end up restarting explore.exe.
Prior to buying the C1 I've conditioned myself and changed habits, tried my best with the taskbar, kept hunting down locks, that prevented the blank screensaver and what not.
My solution was moving the ******* taskbar to screen 2 and skip the auto-hide. There, solved. I really CBA anymore.

Everybody's different in their use case and for me the auto-hide just didn't work out.

Associate
Same experience with taskbar - it's not bug free for sure, mainly that if one app has raised notification the taskbar doesn't auto hide.

@Wynter - You using the C1 for productivity? If so, what kind, and how you find it in general, and clarity of text (software dev here)

Associate
Same experience with taskbar - it's not bug free for sure, mainly that if one app has raised notification the taskbar doesn't auto hide.

@Wynter - You using the C1 for productivity? If so, what kind, and how you find it in general, and clarity of text (software dev here)

No, just prosumer stuff. Text looks just fine to me. I'm still stuck on UHD60, 8bit, full on a 2070S, am still waiting for EVGA to finally grant me the StepUp to the 3080, but I doubt that'll make a difference.

The main drawback of the screen is ASBL. That'll be most noticeable for you. I often enough have a Google doc and a notepad open. After 15ish or so minutes the screen darkens noticeably until I scroll in either window enough to make the screen think it's not static enough anymore. Depending on your OLED brightness setting it may be a very visible difference. In Game Mode I'm on 69 just because, have set up my energy savings mode at OLED 35, but even there I notice it.

Otherwise, last week I've had browsers back to back and lots of cmd windows open, playing with pfSense, Unbound and piHole and what not, lots of scrolling and cursing, and didn't notice much of the ASBL.

Associate
That's just it. He may be goofy on camera but I don't think he's that igit, which makes me wonder what the hell was going on, what settings he was using and what not.
In the end this may just have been a screwed up panel. Will we ever find out?

That's the problem he not going to reveal the real truth what he did, his video is to put shame LG OLED been used as monitor just like many youtubers like him. Linus is all about big American talk instead of getting to point.

The taskbar, that's me. I like multitasking, run several browser profiles of Chrome for example, this, that. 30+ windows? Sure. Now where did I put that? It only takes ONE damn window claiming focus but not signalling as such.
The taskbar will not hide, just because one window pulled focus but did not pop up to the foreground. Then you're stuck clicking through all the windows, trying to find it, or you end up restarting explore.exe. Everybody's different in their use case and for me the auto-hide just didn't work out.

Yes Everybody uses there oled different, I don't use multitasking just Edge browser so Auto Hide Task bar works, and I turn off all the windows apps hide all the icons can't stand them on screen & have no background image that's my setup it looks better imo. Static is a problem for OLED's I know LG OLED TV detects that a static image is displayed on screen after approximately two minutes then starts dimming, and then lowers the pixel brightness by up to 20% over the course of around 90 seconds. It then stays at the lower brightness, I know some people here have turn off the Logo Luminance Adjustment but on mine it set to High.

I'm still stuck on UHD60, 8bit, full on a 2070S, am still waiting for EVGA to finally grant me the StepUp to the 3080, but I doubt that'll make a difference.
I too am waiting but for RTX3090 price to drop if it don't drop this year I am buying one. 10-bit image can display up to 1.07 billion colours compare to 8-bit can only display 16.7 million

Last edited:

D3K

D3K

Soldato
This year's deals on LG's have been an exception because of covid. I had a B6 to being with, and all the way through to the 9s they did one final clear out around xmas time (with the odd exception around April) and that was it, everything was switched to the new models.

The CX and C1s have broken that trend and have been constantly up for sale.

If people continue to hold onto their purse strings, or LG does not ramp down volume, then yeah you will get them as cheap as this year.

Associate
Are folks using a monitor arm for these things? I want it fairly far back on the desk, and am a little concerned it might get knocked/jiggled because it moves a lot (standing desk)

Associate
Are folks using a monitor arm for these things? I want it fairly far back on the desk, and am a little concerned it might get knocked/jiggled because it moves a lot (standing desk)

If you want it far back from a desk wall mount it, and if you want it flush fit wall-mount TV then buy the LG G1 OLED in only three sizes 55\65\77inch

I use a TV stand on a desk and don't knocked.

Last edited:
Associate
Tried using it as a desktop monitor again but it’s definitely just too big for me. Shame as I then hooked it up to the pc, gamed on the couch and it’s bloody fantastic to use. Will definitely look at a smaller oled when they do come out but can see the price being to much for me to stomach.

Soldato
I use my CX purely when i am gaming on my PC and have it mounted above my Gigabyte M28U which i use for everything else PC related.

Dual screen setup.

Back
Top Bottom