petrol stations price discussion (was ‘chaos’)

Soldato
They don't want to do it.

How many times does this need explaining. The workforce has been deserting the industry for years, both native and immigrant workers. The eastern European guys were leaving long before Brexit. IR35, stagnant pay, improving conditions back home.

Ask yourself why you don't want to do the job.

Same reasons as everyone else I bet.

Make the job more attractive and maybe the 300000+ license holders might consider coming back to the industry, or maybe we can attract new ones as well.
I don't need to do it as not unemployed and not trained :confused:

Soldato
Yeah, a very small percentage of people want to be HGV drivers, also how long do they have left before they're all replaced by Tesla (other electric vehicle manufactures are available) self driving trucks, 10 years tops? You might as well train people to be coal miners :D

I wonder if this is not a way of bringing forward the autonomous vehicle debate, we have no drivers therefore take the man out of the loop. Automated lorries can then use the motorways from 21:00 until 06:00 while the majority of people are tucked up in their jammies ;) You'll then make much better use of the motorways we have got, increasing capacity almost immediately as you'll be using all the roads 'off peak'.

There must be massive subsidies from Government coming for this, imagine the billions saves on building less roads and massively reducing congestion as well as the environmental benefit. The only thing stopping this is Government dogma, they should just legislate for it and then follow up with £££££.

Last edited:
Soldato
You know everyone realises that your the internet version of the guy who just talks absolute rubbish down the pub right? But it's 2021 and we have access to the internet so we can immediately disprove all the garbage that comes out of your mouth? How can you be so consistently wrong? On everything. Honestly mate on a True\False quiz, 100 questions, I'd expect you to get every single question wrong, and be so confident as well. :D

Ok great input

Yeah, a very small percentage of people want to be HGV drivers, also how long do they have left before they're all replaced by Tesla (other electric vehicle manufactures are available) self driving trucks, 10 years tops?

I wonder if this is not a way of bringing forward the autonomous vehicle debate, we have no drivers therefore take the man out of the loop.

AVs seem to have run in to a wall (litterally). They can't do anything about the grey areas where the AI can't decide how to react, they may never.

Soldato
dunno what i missed but i filled up at tesco yester and there was absolutely nothing out of the ordinary going on. not going to trawl 20 pages to find out though :D

Associate
Yeah, a very small percentage of people want to be HGV drivers, also how long do they have left before they're all replaced by Tesla (other electric vehicle manufactures are available) self driving trucks, 10 years tops?

Been hearing that argument since I started driving 20 years ago.

Doesn't change the here and now.

I don't need to do it as not unemployed and not trained :confused:

So what would attract you to the industry. To give up your job and retrain as a driver?

That's an honest question by the way. Why should anyone else choose to do the job if you won't.

Soldato
Ok great input
AVs seem to have run in to a wall (litterally). They can't do anything about the grey areas where the AI can't decide how to react, they may never.

On highly predictable motorways off peak I think it would be fine.

Been hearing that argument since I started driving 20 years ago.
Doesn't change the here and now.

20 years ago a self driving car was science fiction

Soldato
Highly predictable? Never driven on a motorway then have you.

What you mean with all the vehicles going in the same direction on two/three lanes between 21:00 and 06:00, yes I have, I would think most accidents at that time of night are caused by tiredness or drunk drivers, I don't care if the AI lorries kills a few drunk drivers ;) (an additional benefit).

Ban everything other than AI lorries between 00:00 and 05:00, they can run nose to tail at 100 MPH.

Soldato
Yep, you offload at huge distribution centres and use manned vehicles for compex routes not suitable for AI.

Might as well rebuild the local railways then. More efficient, less traffic, cleaner and safer. Also don't have to worry about batteries and recharging them.

Soldato
Might as well rebuild the local railways then. More efficient, less traffic, cleaner and safer.

Why when you've already got roads for distribution? You could run 'road trains' between 00:00 and 05:00, the only think you'd have to buy is an AI EV tractor unit.

We've built our distribution around road, no point re-inventing the wheel!

Soldato
That's an honest question by the way. Why should anyone else choose to do the job if you won't.

It's a good question, I presume there is a point where the salary becomes to inticing and people would want to be an HGV driver. I presume also it might also be open to those who haven't been great at school but have practical driving skills. I would hate the drive an HGV, I can't imagine even with training feeling safe driving such a large vehicle, also hours of work would also put many off.

Man of Honour
the only think you'd have to buy is an AI EV tractor unit.

Which are quite expensive. One freight train can move the load of 30-40 EV tractor units. They make much more sense for trunk distribution - very few areas where you'd want a distribution site are not rail served.

Soldato
In Australia I believe their road trains can shift 175 tonnes, there are far more roads than there are railways, I'm pretty sure it's much more expensive for 1 mile of rail than it is 1 mile of road.

There is more Motorway and A road than rail track, quick Google

20,000 miles of track vs 31,800 miles of major roads.

But I do take your point, use trains for the real heavy lift/shift then self driving vehicles for distribution, either way the days of the HGV driver are numbered.

Last edited:
Soldato
In Australia I believe their road trains can shift 175 tonnes, there are far more roads than there are railways, I'm pretty sure it's much more expensive for 1 mile of rail than it is 1 mile of road.

There is more Motorway and A road than rail track, quick Google

20,000 miles of track vs 31,800 miles of major roads.

The roads are way to narrow and busy to have those in the UK. In Aus you can travel for miles without seeing another person. Same in the desert parts of the US where they also use them.

Soldato
Yeah, we are all thick as ****. Its no wonder people get put off the industry when this is what is thought of them.

I think you're putting words in my mouth there, no?

I presume you're a professional driver, what kind of shift pattern do you run, what time do you get up in the morning, what time do you get home? I'm sure the answer to these questions might indicate why many wouldn't want to be an HGV driver?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom