petrol stations price discussion (was ‘chaos’)

Soldato
Been hearing that argument since I started driving 20 years ago.

Did the Gov pave the way for self driving vehicles 20 years ago?

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/government-paves-the-way-for-self-driving-vehicles-on-uk-roads

The way we use vehicles is in for a massive overhaul, in 20 years time (probably much sooner) owning a car will be akin to owning a horse, you do it because you like cars not because it's your form of daily transport.

The same shakeup will also be true of logistics, self driving vehicles will become ubiquitous, they're just letting the ICE market have the last squeeze of the orange before everything changes, it's inevitable.

Last edited:
Soldato
Been hearing that argument since I started driving 20 years ago.

Doesn't change the here and now.

So what would attract you to the industry. To give up your job and retrain as a driver?

That's an honest question by the way. Why should anyone else choose to do the job if you won't.

Why would I give up my job :confused:

Over 1.5m unemployed, train some of them who are capable up. It is not that hard to grasp.

Associate
Did the Gov pave the way for self driving vehicles 20 years ago?

Transport companies have been looking at this for a LONG time. There was talk of long term introduction of fully or partially self driving vehicles since as long I've been driving.

Why would I give up my job :confused:

Over 1.5m unemployed, train some of them who are capable up. It is not that hard to grasp.

I'll ask again, if your not willing to do it, and HEADRAT isn't prepared to do it, why should anyone else? Unless your going to force people to do it at the point of gun?

Soldato
Is trucking more popular in the USA - working conditions, decent beds for the night, wages any better ?
..... well , do they have a shortage too, if not why not.

Soldato
The reason I wouldn't do it is I get paid to either sit at home or in a nice office from 09:00 to 17:00, no amount of money would make me want to drive for a living, well if you'd pay me £150K per year I might consider it ;)

Soldato
I’ve never been a trucker but worked away plenty as an electrician.
I would guess that long hours away from home/hobbies/friends, gridlocked roads, responsibility of driving such a large vehicle and mainly eating junk food would be the downsides to long distance truck driving.

Soldato
Caporegime
Transport companies have been looking at this for a LONG time. There was talk of long term introduction of fully or partially self driving vehicles since as long I've been driving.

I'll ask again, if your not willing to do it, and HEADRAT isn't prepared to do it, why should anyone else? Unless your going to force people to do it at the point of gun?

What made you choose to drive?

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

Don't know if been said but can we not use the already trained drivers we have in the armed forces to use as a temporary stop gap? Why desn't the government setup a fast track hgv training scheme?

The Armed forces have almost no ADR qualified drivers.

Soldato
If the tech was here we wouldn't be having this discussion.

The same shakeup will also be true of logistics, self driving vehicles will become ubiquitous, they're just letting the ICE market have the last squeeze of the orange before everything changes, it's inevitable.

The tech is pretty much here, the wheels of Gov move slowly (pun intended), lots of 'vested interests' to be considered not just a few haulage companies and the drivers!

HEADRAT

Soldato

Are you being serious now or just trolling?

I am employed so do not need to consider it.

Many people are unemployed and who knows if were trained who love to do it.

Soldato
Paying proper wages must be hurting the haulage industry, bet they can't wait to get some foreign drivers back so they can get back to treating drivers like ****.

Associate
The tech is pretty much here, the wheels of Gov move slowly (pun intended), lots of 'vested interests' to be considered not just a few haulage companies and the drivers!

HEADRAT

Will be interesting to revisit this in a few years. Long term your right, I just don't think its happening as fast as you think. *bookmarks thread*

Back
Top Bottom