petrol stations price discussion (was ‘chaos’)

Soldato
Off topic and employment issues aside, I think its a terrifying prospect.

Imagine our government(or even worse Australia) with the ability to so easily turn off all personal transport, or enable it only for certain locations. Don't tell me they wouldn't have done it for the first lockdown.

Shhhhh you'll invite the 'nutters' into the thread who will claim this is the whole idea, it's a CT ;)

Soldato
Shhhhh you'll invite the 'nutters' into the thread who will claim this is the whole idea, it's a CT ;)

This has already happened with other stuff though. Trains have been stopped, mobile phone masts shut down in areas where protests are going on etc.

Teslas can already be remotely shut down, hackers have found out how. Likely other EVs can be as well.

I remember a conspiracy around the government recording phone calls, it was one which went way back to the cold war. That turned out to be true lol

Last edited:
Soldato
What you mean with all the vehicles going in the same direction on two/three lanes between 21:00 and 06:00, yes I have, I would think most accidents at that time of night are caused by tiredness or drunk drivers, I don't care if the AI lorries kills a few drunk drivers ;) (an additional benefit).

Ban everything other than AI lorries between 00:00 and 05:00, they can run nose to tail at 100 MPH.

Every motorway I go on are closed 9pm - 6pm due to upgrade to smart motorway maintenance and goodness knows what else

Funny to see my local village fuel station run out, most people don't use it but it was packed this weekend, even though they'd price gouged petrol up to £1.49 a litre.

Theres a texaco down the road that was open this morning the only one for miles it was closed yesterday so they must have had a delivery, the queue stretched 5 miles along the coast road partly from the buyers and partly because there was no way to get past the queue as its a busy two way road. Well this evening the pumps are dry again but at least the queue is gone.

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

This has already happened with other stuff though. Trains have been stopped, mobile phone masts shut down in areas where protests are going on etc.

Teslas can already be remotely shut down, hackers have found out how. Likely other EVs can be as well.

I remember a conspiracy around the government recording phone calls, it was one which went way back to the cold war. That turned out to be true lol

Hacking on autonomous vehicles has been blown way out of proportion. The tech isn't too dissimilar to aeroplanes and you don't see them falling out the sky every day.

Soldato
Hacking on autonomous vehicles has been blown way out of proportion. The tech isn't too dissimilar to aeroplanes and you don't see them falling out the sky every day.

There are no signs you can mess with in the sky. Stick a fake stop sign somewhere and an AV will stop at it, it has to.

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

There are no signs you can mess with in the sky. Stick a fake stop sign somewhere and an AV will stop at it, it has to.

No it doesn't. It would negotiate a fake stop sign just like a human would.

Caporegime
That is about the speed limit, not the speed limiter.

No they haven’t, I refer you to the reply of my honourable friend above.

Well the new lorries at work must be an exception.

Trust me, they aren’t.

FYI, my 2017 Scania R450 and the 18, 19, 20 and 21 plate variants in our - and many other - fleets are all limited to 90Km/h as it’s a legal requirement that has not changed.

You are confusing the speed limit with what trucks are legally limited to,i.e. the device that operates on the injection pump in the fuel system to prevent the vehicle exceeding its calibrated speed, there is a difference.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I think this was leaked by them all to push the government into giving visa's for Lorry drivers. Instead of solving the problem of pay and conditions.
Absolutely, they are all about maintaining the status quo of low wages for operators, not about improvement of conditions for the guys who do the job, I sincerely hope this bites them hard on the arse.

Caporegime
Yet those who voted to leave the EU are still in denial about the impact this has had and our weakened position within the world:
"There is evidence of HGV driver shortages across Europe, but the UK has been among the hardest hit by the problem.
This was because many European drivers went back to their home countries, or decided to work elsewhere.
When the UK was part of the single market, they used to be able to come and go as they pleased.
But the additional border bureaucracy after Brexit meant it was too much hassle for many of them to drive into and out of the UK.
Many drivers are paid by the mile or kilometre rather than by the hour, so delays cost them money.
Also, the decline in the value of the pound against the euro since the Brexit vote has meant that being paid in pounds has been less attractive for EU nationals."
In my 23 years of U.K. trucking I’m yet to come across a driver paid by distance rather than the hour….

E.U. drivers have - through no fault of their own - kept wages in this industry artificially low for well over a decade, ~£12 per hour without an overtime premium is great if your based in Romania or Poland and sending money back home to the family, it’s not great if your living in the U.K. in 2021. I know of plenty of E.U. drivers who have cleared mortgages back home whilst working over here - they tend to house share with other drivers whilst over here to reduce their cost of living - which doesn’t work for a U.K. based driver trying to support his family ,by himself, as many U.K. drivers try to do.

Last edited:
Permabanned
Interesting on the AI front, got a new car recently with various driving assists, it's basically semi intelligent cruise control. I set it going and did a 10 mile round trip through town and some road works. I basically just had to steer, it negotiated everything, stop start traffic, road works, roundabouts. :) not sure if it handles red lights.....

Soldato
If a human can do it, then so will AI soon, and it will be able to make that decision quicker than a human as well..

No it's not that simple. The AI can't make decisions for itself, it's not really an AI just a load of scripts and pre-programmed routines. It can't look at the surrounding environment and use that make a judgement call like a person can. It won't look around and see workmen or work vehicles to decide if it's legit, just the sign, road and other traffic.

Soldato
Interesting on the AI front, got a new car recently with various driving assists, it's basically semi intelligent cruise control. I set it going and did a 10 mile round trip through town and some road works. I basically just had to steer, it negotiated everything, stop start traffic, road works, roundabouts. :) not sure if it handles red lights.....

?

Back
Top Bottom