Monzo/Starling Banking/Revolut

Soldato
TBH I would recommend using a rewards credit card for most of your spend anyway, so debit card functionality has never been a thing for me.

I'm with COOP who give me £1/mo for free (down from about £2quid IIRC) and 2p each time I use the card up to 50 transactions. Much rather take money out of the system than have a designer app!

Spend with credit card, then pay off the credit card using Curve connected to Chase, so it still gives you the cashback, top-up your Chase account in 50 transactions from COOP. That's how you take money out of the system :D

Soldato
Spend with credit card, then pay off the credit card using Curve connected to Chase, so it still gives you the cashback, top-up your Chase account in 50 transactions from COOP. That's how you take money out of the system :D
Unfortunately I read the T&Cs on Chase and I'm certain the merchant code for Curve is on the "no way José" list.

Also aren't Curve fronted transactions to pay off credit cards fee-bearing now?

Soldato
Unfortunately I read the T&Cs on Chase and I'm certain the merchant code for Curve is on the "no way José" list.

Also aren't Curve fronted transactions to pay off credit cards fee-bearing now?

Only if you front it with a credit card, still free with debit card. Fronting credit cards with credit cards are free with Curve Metal.

Soldato
Gotcha. Like your thinking :cool:

The old workaround still works (as of last month). You can pay off your credit card with a debit card, then go back in time and change it to a credit card. It works most of the times. If you were in Curve Credit beta (now closed), you can also just switch that transaction to a 12-month repayment plan at 0% APR, then put those payments off on the original credit card. Carry the debt indefinitely.

If you've got separate Curve and Samsung Pay+ accounts (which itself is Curve), then you can add your Samsung Pay+ card to your Curve, then connect the Samsung Pay+ account to a credit card, and use your Curve to pay off that credit card using the Samsung Pay+ card. No fronting fees. Again can carry that debt indefinitely, you're paying off your credit card with the same credit card.

Soldato
Yes, realised that after i posted.

I'm still not overly sure whether it beats my Natwest account for my purposes but it'll be good to have the option.
It is getting 'harder' to manage but generally I think having more cards on deck (up to say a manageable amount - 3, 4?) is the key nowadays. Put the hard work in up front to know which card to use where, and regularly skim the offers.

I notice Curve have loads of decent cash back offers now... so does BarclayCard. The Chase card seems to out-do any rewards credit card where AMEX isn't accepted - but only if an overriding cashback offer is not there... You also need to check QuidCo 'In-Store' Rewards and if you are from an employer that gives you Perks@Work then that has In-Store cashback too...

This is why no one wants to go shopping with me :eek:

I miss the days of 2% AMEX + 1.5% CapitalOne Mastercard :p Far simpler.

Soldato
Haha exactly, it drives my wife nuts trying to work out which card to use. It doesn't help that the Vitality Amex card doesn't allow joint account holders.

Also annoying is that Curve don't allow the same card on 2 accounts. So even though i have a Natwest rewards card for non Amex spend with 2 separate card holders. Only one of us can have our card linked to Curve.

This all means that we have the following

Current Accounts
1 current account with FD - Mainly for my wifes self employed income to save the hassle of giving people new details whenever i mess around with banks. To keep it simple i also have all salaries/income going into here.
1 current account with Natwest - £2 fee but get £5 back in rewards each month. All Income then gets transferred to here which is where bills/credit cards are paid from. Anything left gets put into savings
Plus an individual account for us each with FD where we put "spends" each month

Cards
Amex Vitality - Me Amex
Amex Rewards - Wife Amex
Natwest Rewards - Me Non Amex (Wife has this on her Apple Pay)
Natwest debit card - Wife curve card
Plus a card each for "spends" purchases.

It's definitely where something like Money Dashboard really comes into it's own for tracking spending trends since the spend is spread out.

I've not quite got into the seeking out of specific cash back offers, have to reign it in at some point! Although i sometimes curse myself since i just saw Curve do 25% off Kindle books and i spent about £50 on them before our holiday!

Soldato
Cashback offers have offset this crappy cashback period 10x in some instances. When I was working out of town I could top up my income by £200 a month - the Marriott offers were £50 cashback on £300 and I had my card in 3 other names to quadruple up on the offers :cool:

There are a few good 10%ers on BarclayCard at the moment, especially if you're in the market for Christmas gifts...

AMEX savings 'to date' I guess:

gl6Dx38.png

Soldato
I guess that's why it's worth having multiple accounts, there's always someone who'll have an offer for somewhere you want to spend. My Amex cashback offers are generally pretty poor.

About the only ones of interest are for Amex Travel, but even with the cashback they always seem to be considerably more expensive than booking elsewhere :(

Soldato
The AMEX travels ones are major clickbait aren't they :cry:

Year before last the Harvey Nichs/Selfridge's ones were great and cooincided black Friday which was very good.

Kol

Kol

Man of Honour
Anyone else have a complete resign in process when opening starling app today. Had to do the whole video face speech, change pin and all sorts. Was fine logging in last night.
Not personally but they’ve just tweeted about an issue on Android which they’ve identified and they are asking people to go through with it.

Associate
Anyone else have a complete resign in process when opening starling app today. Had to do the whole video face speech, change pin and all sorts. Was fine logging in last night.

Yep I had this Sunday morning. looked pretty silly at my kids under 6 football match recording a video on my phone just so i could access my app.

Back
Top Bottom