petrol stations price discussion (was ‘chaos’)

Associate
But this one person walks at a widely accepted jogging pace so everyone else should do so whilst carrying all of their work equipment else they are lazy.

Caporegime
blame the petrol stations for letting people fill up their boots illegally.

people claiming they can't get in to work because of no fuel should be sacked :p get a buses, trains and taxis like other people have too.

lol @ the people on twitface saying they can't get to work because they have no fuel, what do they think people who don't own cars do, spend hours travelling on public transport.

i'd sack anyone who didn't come in to work because it's not convenient without a car. obviously you could excuse some people who drive extreme distances, but what if there was a petrol shortage that lasted weeks or months? they better find an alternate way to work

sadly public transport in rural areas dont work very well, hence the need for a car. I worked out that I would have to take 3 different busses to get to work (27 miles away) and it would take me 2 hours and I still would be 45 minutes late for work (thats catching the first bus in the morning).

In order to get home I would then have to leave 45 minutes earlier otherwise I would miss the last bus home on the last leg.

not sure my boss would be happy with a 90 minute shorter working day and nor flexibility to stay a minute past a certain time.

Taxi would have course be an option, albeit an expensive temporary one, local taxi company with online fare calculating wants £64 each way for the trip.

sadly public transport in rural areas dont work very well, hence the need for a car. I worked out that I would have to take 3 different busses to get to work (27 miles away) and it would take me 2 hours and I still would be 45 minutes late for work (thats catching the first bus in the morning).

In order to get home I would then have to leave 45 minutes earlier otherwise I would miss the last bus home on the last leg.

not sure my boss would be happy with a 90 minute shorter working day and nor flexibility to stay a minute past a certain time.

Taxi would have course be an option, albeit an expensive temporary one, local taxi company with online fare calculating wants £64 each way for the trip.

There probably isnt much chance your local taxi has any fuel either ;)

Soldato
Lucky fuel is sold in person or the the scalpers would have moved in now to buy up the remaining stocks and sell it for £10 a litre

Man of Honour
blame the petrol stations for letting people fill up their boots illegally.

people claiming they can't get in to work because of no fuel should be sacked :p get a buses, trains and taxis like other people have too.

lol @ the people on twitface saying they can't get to work because they have no fuel, what do they think people who don't own cars do, spend hours travelling on public transport.

i'd sack anyone who didn't come in to work because it's not convenient without a car. obviously you could excuse some people who drive extreme distances, but what if there was a petrol shortage that lasted weeks or months? they better find an alternate way to work
To get to work for 8:00 Monday, most of the people where I previously lived would need to leave home on Saturday to arrive in time for Monday.

bus.png

Associate
My 1 hour commute to work would take at least 3 hours and 15 minutes via public transport. IF everything went to plan.

I am OK till Wednesday. If I cannot get fuel before then, I will work from home until I can.
That's not being lazy, that's being realistic.
Unsurprisingly, work have no issue with me doing that.

Soldato
I got some petrol. Woohoo! Had to pay for Shell's finest, though.

Part of the problem with queues, it seems, is people's inability to use fuel stations properly. Not using both side even though there's long reach. Not going in-between cars to get to the front pump even though there's plenty of space. And the general lack of spacial awareness.

Soldato
To use public transport and to arrive to start work at 08:30 my other half would have to leave the day before to catch 3 buses, the first at 17:06 to eventually arrive at the workplace at 23:36 with a trip of 48 miles. Returning, leaving at 17:00 would mean arriving home the day after leaving work at 08:36. Direct driving route is 18 miles/25 minutes. This county isn't exactly well known for its public transport links!

I got some petrol. Woohoo! Had to pay for Shell's finest, though.

Part of the problem with queues, it seems, is people's inability to use fuel stations properly. Not using both side even though there's long reach. Not going in-between cars to get to the front pump even though there's plenty of space. And the general lack of spacial awareness.

Problem with the filling the "wrong" side is twofold.
Firstly, you need to get the positioning pretty much spot on or the hose wont reach, secondly you risk being run over by the impatient guy desperate to get into the spots at the front as fast as possible ;)

Personally I will always go through a gap to reverse into a front spot but don't tend to fill "wrong side", its funny when you get a wrong side filler giving you daggers when your clearly wanting to go past him and he has to move out of the way to let you past.

IMO the vast majority of the delay is caused when paying, people buying all sorts of other crap rather than simply paying for their fuel.

Back
Top Bottom