5900x Inside a be quiet! Dark Base 900 REV 2

Associate
Hi everyone, I'm sorry if this isn't the place to post this but the topic did say "cooling" if I should be posting else where please let me know.

Any how,

I've just built yet again a new system, I have a ryzen 5900x installed which is cooled by a be quiet silent loop 360 performance AIO cooler. This is all inside a Dark Base 900 rev 2. I have 2 intake fans on the front as it comes in the box, 1 exhaust at the back, and I've fitted the radiator to the top with fans acting as exhaust blowing out of the case, my question is do I need any extra Intake fans? Maybe I'm just getting carried away because of how hot the 5900x gets and I know this is normal but it still worries me after coming from a stable 40-50c system.

Any advice on this matter would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you

Associate
Given that the 5900x is hooked up to the AIO, the vast majority of its heat will be controlled within the AIO system and the fans in the case will not significantly impact on the heat generated by the 5900x.

The rest of the case fans will deal with the ambient temperature of the case and the heat being outputted by the graphics card in the case. What graphics card do you have in the system?

Two intakes, one exhaust will most likely be fine to control the internals of the pc given that the 5900x heat should all be being exhausted through the roof.

Associate
OP
Thank you so much for the reply, I have a 3080ti. I don't know wether you could comment on this too, If you can I'll remove my post from the CPU section, but my 5900x is idling around 35c-45c and hits up to 87 on cod warzone, most posts online say its normal, and undervolting can be done to reduce it but I'd rather avoid messing about if it is the norm.

Associate
OP>I use to get 83C when playing Battlefield V. I know people say this is normal and even AMD said it as well but it never sat well with me. I did originally start off with an all core curve optimiser but refined it by using per core. The all core is easy as pie but the per core takes time as you are testing each core individually. I also used an offset of 0.1v.

This in turn dropped my temps by 10C so now it runs at 72C.

You probably could get it cooler by running a fixed voltage. By any chance are you runnning a Gigabyte board? On some forums they say Gigabyte boards ninja OC the voltage.

Associate
Thank you so much for the reply, I have a 3080ti. I don't know wether you could comment on this too, If you can I'll remove my post from the CPU section, but my 5900x is idling around 35c-45c and hits up to 87 on cod warzone, most posts online say its normal, and undervolting can be done to reduce it but I'd rather avoid messing about if it is the norm.

The 3080ti is quite a hot card so an extra intake wouldn't hurt. If I remember correctly the Dark Base 900 only has space for two front intakes. If an extra intake can't be easily aded then I don't think your temperatures are anything to be concerned about, especially not at idle.

An undervolt would certainly assist in keeping GPU temperatures in check and usually can be done with no loss in performance (in fact usually a slight gain). Worth considering but I don't think performance will be suffering if its running at 87 on warzone.

Also - no need to move your post.

Soldato
I think Dark Base 900 has 2x 140mm front intakes with option of removing ODD cage to add a 3rd front intake.

You might get better temps with 3x front intakes or at least block all opening in fan mounting panel so air fans flow into motherboard compartment has to flow on thru case and can't leak around into intake compartment behind front grill and end up going incircles doing nothing to help case airflow.

Link below to basic guide of airflow and optimizing case airflow might be of interest:
https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/t...-i-put-my-temp-sensor.18564223/#post-26159770

Associate
OP, I have the same case as you and a 5900x. Tryy adjusting the front two fans if you havent already done so, you can push them up a bit so they are directing more intake air nearer the GPU.
I also use a Corsair H110i AIO Loop and my temps sit around 79c whilst gaming (thinking of upgrading to an Artic Freezer Liquid II 280 as I hear they really good)

Is your 3080ti a FE? If so the NVidia 3080 FE's series do run hot as a lot has to do with the thermal pads Nvidia have used.

People have modded the cards and replaced the thermal pads with other branded pads and have seen a huge drop in temps.
I recently modded my own 3080 as the Mem Junction temps were hiting over 100c. Now it sits in the 73-80 temps.

Back
Top Bottom