Has the Human race become lazy

Soldato
I think so.

Even the computer user arena since I was a kid as changed. How many kids are making computer games now to how many were back in the 1980s/90s? How many kids have wrote code (outside of school)?

The amount of people under the age of 30 that walk in to the road without looking up from their phones is amazing. Or using the phone in a moving vehicle. They have no self discipline.

Cheating in games carries no shame these days either. People are too lazy to complete games so they cheat immediately and then have the brass neck to act like they have done something good.

Associate
Technology, whilst a life enhancing area, has resulted in younger kids being unable to retain information, compared to my generation. Actually had a student say "why do I need to remember this when I can just google it" multiple nods of agreement too from other students.
People complaining that the young people of "today" are stupider and lazier than previous generations is also as old as the hills. When you were a student you can be certain that your lecturers would have said the same things about you and your compatriots.

Soldato
People complaining that the young people of "today" are stupider and lazier than previous generations is also as old as the hills. When you were a student you can be certain that your lecturers would have said the same things about you and your compatriots.

When you NOTICE the difference, over 10+ years, of students abilities to retain information, it's not "Ah the good old days when" type scenario. It's real and noticeable. Dependancy on phones is a prop that won't serve them well in life.

Soldato
I think so.

Even the computer user arena since I was a kid as changed. How many kids are making computer games now to how many were back in the 1980s/90s? How many kids have wrote code (outside of school)?

The amount of people under the age of 30 that walk in to the road without looking up from their phones is amazing. Or using the phone in a moving vehicle. They have no self discipline.

Cheating in games carries no shame these days either. People are too lazy to complete games so they cheat immediately and then have the brass neck to act like they have done something good.
Is that a serious question? More than ever before :confused:

It is now a serious and credible job role.

Soldato
When you NOTICE the difference, over 10+ years, of students abilities to retain information, it's not "Ah the good old days when" type scenario. It's real and noticeable. Dependancy on phones is a prop that won't serve them well in life.
Yet grades are better than ever. Go figure?

Soldato
for the vast majority of people who drive, they don't see it as a source of enjoyment, but as a (necessary) means of getting from A to B. In That regard 'modern' cars are almost immeasurably better than older ones. Easier to drive, safer, quieter, more reliable, more efficient, etc.

As to the general "technology will be the death of us" - well, people have been saying that, in one way or another, for literally hundreds/thousands of years:

For example - here is a picture from Punch (a very old satirical magazine) from 1906....
image-20160621-13017-11vazyl.jpg

The details are different, but the underlying message is the same: New technology threatens real human interaction. That was printed more than 20 years before your Dad was born. Even then - this wasn't an original complaint - the same thing was said about the telephone 30 odd years earlier.

The printing press caused a consternation when it was invented in the 15th century - people believed it would lead to the dissemination of false information (does that sound at all familiar).

Plato argued against writing !! Saying it would hurt peoples ability to remember things:
That was over 2000 years ago.

All that and... we're still here.

A really well thought out and brilliant post, just wanted to say that it's rare to see on OcUK and I enjoyed reading it :)

Soldato
I think so.

what do you mean about kids making computer games? Im 32 and never done any programming in school let alone make a game.

Caporegime

To be fair they are correct. I can remember when I was doing my GCSE's they gave the same kids O levels from the 1950's or something and they failed miserably.

My grandad was working on computers when they filled entire rooms and had massive valves. His intelligence was off the scale.

Soldato

If you could reverse and make harder some tasks what would you pick OP to ensure Humanities sirvival?

I can only speak for myself, but local travel. People shouldn't just jump into the car for <5 mile journeys.

Also speaking for myself to the OPs question. Yes.

Associate
Are we lazy? I'm sure some people are. There are many more appliances that can make life easier and simpler. Almost everything from washing machines to industrial plants. A simple example was potato farming. It used to be lots of humans with back-breaking work. Now, a single machine with a single operator replaces the humans.

But does that make it automatically lazy? More people can have leisure activities. But do they? I don't know. I retired a few years ago. I got a dog, a Collie. A big, active fellow. Can I be lazy? Not a cat in hell's in chance.

Soldato
what do you mean about kids making computer games? Im 32 and never done any programming in school let alone make a game.

You're special ;)

I was meaning in the old days there used to be magazines with programs written inside them so people could type them out on the computer and play a game.

At 32 you had the good days in computers that games nearly instantly appeared. In my day (old man white stick shaking) we had to sit around for 5 to 10 minutes before a game would load on the tape c64, and even then sometimes it would run to the end of the tape and click stop, and we'd have to wait another 5 to 10 minutes again. There is a noticable difference in my observations of the patience of the younger gamers vs the 1980s gamers.

Most games were Indy developed, many becoming the top selling games. These days we only really see a handful that make it to the top. There is a film all about how kids went from programming in their bedroom to become billionaires. Kids today have all the modern advantages yet there is a lack of creativity in the gaming industry.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/From_Bedrooms_to_Billions

From Bedrooms to Billions is a 2014 documentary film by British filmmakers Anthony and Nicola Caulfield that tells the story of the British video games industry from 1979 to the present day. The film focuses on how the creativity and vision of a relatively small number of individuals allowed the UK to play a key, pioneering role in the shaping of the billion dollar video games industry which today dominates the modern world's entertainment landscape. The film features interviews with major British game designers, journalists and musicians from across the last 30 years.

Caporegime
When we eventually go full totalitarian the government should make it illegal for fat people to own remote controls, they'd solve obesity in no time.

Soldato
You're special ;)

I was meaning in the old days there used to be magazines with programs written inside them so people could type them out on the computer and play a game.

At 32 you had the good days in computers that games nearly instantly appeared. In my day (old man white stick shaking) we had to sit around for 5 to 10 minutes before a game would load on the tape c64, and even then sometimes it would run to the end of the tape and click stop, and we'd have to wait another 5 to 10 minutes again. There is a noticable difference in my observations of the patience of the younger gamers vs the 1980s gamers.

Most games were Indy developed, many becoming the top selling games. These days we only really see a handful that make it to the top. There is a film all about how kids went from programming in their bedroom to become billionaires. Kids today have all the modern advantages yet there is a lack of creativity in the gaming industry.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/From_Bedrooms_to_Billions
Honestly you post some tripe but this is 10/10 garbage.

Lack of creativity? You think a circle eating outlines of ghosts was the pinnacle of creativity? :cry:

Go and check out Steam's game library you absolute old coot. Check how many games exist and what the average developer age is.

Back
Top Bottom