petrol stations price discussion (was ‘chaos’)

Soldato
To use public transport and to arrive to start work at 08:30 my other half would have to leave the day before to catch 3 buses, the first at 17:06 to eventually arrive at the workplace at 23:36 with a trip of 48 miles. Returning, leaving at 17:00 would mean arriving home the day after leaving work at 08:36. Direct driving route is 18 miles/25 minutes. This county isn't exactly well known for its public transport links!

Similar story here.

GMaps reckons I'd have to leave around 18:00 and head up to Stoke, then Crewe, then to Shrewsbury, to then kip in the station overnight, and catch the first bus back toward Stoke. I'd then have a 30 minute walk from the bus stop, and would arrive at work late (around 9:15).

If I couldn't drive to work then I'd gave to buy a bike. Public transport isn't feasible, and walking would take 4-5 hours (again, unrealistic; you'd have to be a bit unhinged to walk long distances on unlit rural roads with no pavements at night).

Soldato
Problem with the filling the "wrong" side is twofold.
Firstly, you need to get the positioning pretty much spot on or the hose wont reach, secondly you risk being run over by the impatient guy desperate to get into the spots at the front as fast as possible ;)
Yeah the forecourts I fill up at you'd probably get squashed against your own car by dragging the hose round the other side.

The only time I do that is in the MX5 as the filler cap is on top of the N/S rear wing so you can pull slightly past the pump and fill up standing behind the car without having to hold the hose off the bodywork.

TBH I'd happily cycle to work but as I've got a company car I'm expected to have it on site. Tempted to say it is running on fumes just so I can cycle in as I haven't had a chance to get out for a ride since our baby was born beginning of August :cry:

Soldato
It would take me 5h30m using public transport to get to work, rather than 30m by car.
That's ridiculous, public transport is useless for anything other than peak time traveling to the major towns.

I'll use the petrol car for now seems to be more available than diesel.

Soldato
It would take me 5h30m using public transport to get to work, rather than 30m by car.
That's ridiculous, public transport is useless for anything other than peak time traveling to the major towns.

I'll use the petrol car for now seems to be more available than diesel.

I am lucky in that if I had to take public transport it would "only" add an extra 1 - 1.5 hours per day on my travel time. Others I work with live in rural homes with no public footpaths. They would literally be putting their lives on the line walking 1.5 hours each day during winter, on dark unlight B roads where morons who do drive think 60mph is a target.

I think these people just miss the good old days when everything could allegedly be solved with some "Dunkirk spirit".

Caporegime
I can't understand why some people run cars on the fumes - Why don't they fill up to half a tank when ever it gets low. - just keep between quarter and half.
All relative to the car I guess, my Scania HGV (which has 550 litre tanks) will comfortably do 100+miles once the fuel warning light comes on as will my Volvo Diesel car, my old V8 Petrol BMW however would barely manage 40 miles.

I guess a lot of people don’t like the thought of carting around excess weight in fuel maybe, or just plain can’t be bothered to fill up until they absolutely have to….

Caporegime
I just dont see the point in filling up until the 50mile low fuel warning light comes up. Its a burden to have to fill up once per week as it is, why would I want to do that twice in a week?

Man of Honour
I can't understand why some people run cars on the fumes - Why don't they fill up to half a tank when ever it gets low. - just keep between quarter and half.

Why would you want to keep it between a quarter and a half? Why put any thought it into at all?

I drive my car until the remaining range is under 50 miles. Then I fill up at the next convenient point, to the top. Messing about trying to keep it at always half full seems a bit pointless.

Soldato
Also am I thinking the Government's plan to allow foreigners temporary visa's is doomed to failure? Why would someone from the EU up roots to come to the xenophobic UK to drive a truck for a few months before being told to sling their hook back to where you come from.

I can imagine the calibre of HGV drivers that would entice to come here. If they can't get a job in a market crying out for skilled people, then I can only assume they are not going to be the best HGV drivers.

Caporegime
Also am I thinking the Government's plan to allow foreigners temporary visa's is doomed to failure? Why would someone from the EU up roots to come to the xenophobic UK to drive a truck for a few months before being told to sling their hook back to where you come from.

I can imagine the calibre of HGV drivers that would entice to come here. If they can't get a job in a market crying out for skilled people, then I can only assume they are not going to be the best HGV drivers.

nail on head. Though at least they might be able to reverse unlike our newly trained "professionals" in the UK.

Soldato
Why would you want to keep it between a quarter and a half? Why put any thought it into at all?

I drive my car until the remaining range is under 50 miles. Then I fill up at the next convenient point, to the top. Messing about trying to keep it at always half full seems a bit pointless.
Until once in a decade there's a fuel supply issue and you get to engage smug mode.

Soldato
I just dont see the point in filling up until the 50mile low fuel warning light comes up. Its a burden to have to fill up once per week as it is, why would I want to do that twice in a week?

This is exactly my thinking too. I hate fueling up and my commute is a 54 mile round trip on the motorway, meaning I go through a tank in just over a week. I’ve always drained the tank and then filled up :).

Man of Honour
I do 400+ miles a week, I'm not stopping for fuel any more than necessary so it gets rolled onto the forecourt once a week with dregs in the tank.

Soldato

Same here.. I fill up when the light is on. I don't understand why people are afraid of using the rest of the tank? I'm not saying run until you're in reserve but...

Man of Honour
I tend to wait until the reserve light comes up to tell me to add fuel when around 60 miles are left.

So just after I have filled it. :cry:

Man of Honour
Can all you lazy people please just get on the public transport already, jeez.

I work evening/nights mostly at the moment - I'd have to get to work ~2 hours early then wait up to 5 hours at the end of my shift for the first bus home - screw that.

Not really feasible to cycle either.

Back
Top Bottom