BMW and M Power Owners

Soldato
How much is something like this worth in 3 years with about 70,000 on the clock?

I keep looking at an F10/F11 530d for next year but the prices seem excessive at the minute, not sure what £15k would usually buy as I've not kept track before covid. My dentist has this 540i and will keep it well maintained and his commute is motorway door to door so should be in good condition when he comes to get rid of it.

Man of Honour
Who knows? Impossible to predict especially 3 years down the line.

In sensible times I'd expect a 7 year old 5 Series to be about £10-14k or so. But everything is somewhat different currently.

Soldato
So let's call it £20k based on current prices. :o

What you be looking for for your F10? Yours will be well kept. I met a guy at a wedding who travelled to Plymouth to buy his black E39 , trying to source style 37s for a sensible proving difficult due to covid tax.

I prefer an estate for putting the bike in the back but for that price I'd maybe swap out for a nice petrol when he is planning to change. Might have an EV for the Mrs and a thirsty petrol on the drive.

I was quite surprised by the noise from it for a modern car.

Man of Honour
I have absolutely no idea! It's already worth quite a bit more than I projected it would be when I bought it back in 2016. The market will probably have corrected by then, though.

I'll keep it now until the new 5 Series comes out in about 2 years time I'd imagine.

Caporegime
So after Mercedes has messed me around I am now looking at a BME X5 45e. I know the engine is a step up over the GLE diesel hybrid that I was looking at but BMW really know how too charge for options!!!! Despite both base hybrid cars starting out at only £800 difference (merc cheaper), If I spec the X5 up to the same options that the Merc has, I come out about £12k more expensive!!!!!

So something has to give on the BMW.

SO I currently have 2 cars specced up

I pretty fully loaded xline and cut down M sport.

Will i regret not going with the Msport or will the options on the xline make that the more desirable vehicle? What am I missing by not getting the Msport? Just the brakes and the rest is all cosmetic?

xline: https://configure.bmw.co.uk/en_GB/configid/txkgrntx

Msport: https://configure.bmw.co.uk/en_GB/configid/94yvn6sa or a slight variation https://configure.bmw.co.uk/en_GB/configid/a18omb9l

Anything anybody would change? The price is basically the max, maybe the odd £100 to play with. The xline gets the tech plus pack plus adaptive steering and acoustic glass, upgraded leather and a few other options I cant tick on the Msport.

So annoyed somebody at BMW UK has decided you cant have the B&W sound upgrade without adding the stupid £2400 sky roof (why not the £1600 normal panoramic roof like the rest of the world???) so makes the stereo a £5,650 option. :(

Caporegime
Honestly on the 45e the msport is cosmetic. The air suspension and setup is the same and the normal brakes are fine. Also the normal seats are already really nice, I had the comfort seats on my g30 and imho not worth the extra but sit in them and decide what you prefer.
I'd drop the crazy expensive paint I think that blue is too dark anyways on the brick that is the X5.
Then again mine is black and I'd be the first to say I think it's kind of an ugly car.

Depending how you purchase the car some options are essentially way cheaper than others since they are considered to increase resale. So depends if you care all that much about list price.

good points. The thing that gets me about the standard seats is they have no adjustable lumbar. Shocking for a £70k car to not have that as standard imo.

I love that blue but point taken about the x5 being a bit of an ugly brick. Definitely the worst looking in its class.

anything else you consider essential?

Man of Honour
I'm having difficulty with this 'the base car is the same price but once I add the same options its £11k more' thing. It doesn't seem right to me that there is such a difference an I suspect your spec comparison is not quite like with like.

Can you give us an example of some of the things where the BMW equivalent is considerably more expensive than the Mercedes alternative?

A good example is the B&O stereo - this is not simply the 'upgraded stereo', that is normally the Harmon Kardon system (but is currently unavailable due to the supply issues). The B&O has always existed as an ultra premium nobody-ever-picks-it option way above HK and isn't therefore just the alternative to the Burmeister system in the Mercedes.

You don't need to spend £2500 on a comfort pack to get lumbar support either, it's available on its own.

Plus Integral Active Steering and Acoustic Glass for £1500? Why? I'd probably rather spend that on a lighting upgrade?

Caporegime
I'm having difficulty with this 'the base car is the same price but once I add the same options its £11k more' thing. It doesn't seem right to me that there is such a difference an I suspect your spec comparison is not quite like with like.

Can you give us an example of some of the things where the BMW equivalent is considerably more expensive than the Mercedes alternative?

A good example is the B&O stereo - this is not simply the 'upgraded stereo', that is normally the Harmon Kardon system (but is currently unavailable due to the supply issues). The B&O has always existed as an ultra premium nobody-ever-picks-it option way above HK and isn't therefore just the alternative to the Burmeister system in the Mercedes.

I was comparing the Burmester to the HK not the b&0. Plus since you can’t have the b&o stereo on its own anymore it’s now a £5650 option

prime example or extra cost difference.

take the premium plus option on the merc for £4250.

this adds

panoramic sunroof - £2,400 on the bmw as you can’t have the normal £1600 in the U.K.
Driver assistance package - only as part (main part) or the tech plus package on bmw which costs £3995. Take off £1695 that the hud and gesture package costs and you have £2300
Air balance package - only as part of comfort plus package on bmw so no idea of single cost and useless in both cars anyway
Multi function steering wheel in nappa leather - part of msport package? Or standard on the bmw?
Burmester upgraded stereo - £995 I think on bmw when you could sill get HK
22” alloys upgrade from 21” on the premium, wider on the rear - another minimum£695 on the bmw after you have gone to 21” on the pro pack
comfort entry package - hard to tell as you have to add the full comfort package on the bmw as you can’t add this by yourself anymore.

so ignoring comfort entry you are looking at Least £6400 for the same options. Pretty much the same all the way through the options list, everything on the bmw costs the odd few hundred quid more but all adds up when speccing up a highly specked car. Even paint is £100 more on the bmw and £500 more for the special colours. I think that’s why bmw priced the base model so close to mercs car so they could suck you in on the extras.

other things help that adaptive led headlights, tinted rear glass, 360 cameras are standard across the merc range and would all cost extra on the x45 and quite a lot esp if they end up being bundled in packages with things you don’t want. Like I really want lumbar adjustable comfy seats and comfort access entry but don’t really want heated cup holders and armrests and heated rear seats but would have to spend £2400 to get the two items I do want.

so yes you do end up with a bmw much higher species than the merc as it will have things like the hud which you can’t get on the merc but your final price will be massively more. The fully loaded merc comes in at £75,695 in met paint and tow bar.

if I try and spec up the 45e to the same price you don’t get many options ticked hence why my two bmw specs are £78k and they are both making compromises and missing things on the merc spec.

it’s even worse if you compare it to the Touareg R which starts at £72k but comes with masses of equipment.With every single option ticked on that car you get to similar price as merc even with soft close doors etc. Price goes through the roof on the x5 with all those gadgets ticked.

Last edited:
Soldato
Cross post :)

New to me car:

Wasn’t the exact car I was after, but got it for an amazing deal, paying a few thousand pounds less than market price due to family member falling ill.

Just had the iDrive upgraded to version 6, with full screen CarPlay.

Timing chain needs doing, as it’s noisy, but only 65K miles so it’s a next 3 months type thing (only do few miles per month at the moment), rather than this week.

Overall, lovely condition and very happy with it :)

Soldato
Strange issue this weekend on my E92 following disconnecting the battery. (To install an MMI unit but this occurs irrespective of whether it's fitted or not.)

Car comes to life and behaves normally, starts, all functions work fine, except the doors not locking by either dash button or remote fob. The battery needs disconnecting for a further 30-40 minutes before reconnecting and it will then function normally.

What could be causing this? I have an aftermarket alarm but I'm confident it's not interfering as all the signals & sounds it gives me suggest it's behaving. So this must be down the the OEM alarm or function...

The door dash button and remote fob 'lock' will sound the actuators in the doors but doesn't actually lock them. What's even more weird is that if I push the door trim pin's 'down', when I press the unlock button on the fob, it will unlock the doors but not re-lock them?! It feels like something somewhere needs time to 'clear'. I couldn't find any threads on line replicating this issue.

Door handles internal/external still function as you'd expect.

Any ideas?

Soldato
Strange issue this weekend on my E92 following disconnecting the battery. (To install an MMI unit but this occurs irrespective of whether it's fitted or not.)

Car comes to life and behaves normally, starts, all functions work fine, except the doors not locking by either dash button or remote fob. The battery needs disconnecting for a further 30-40 minutes before reconnecting and it will then function normally.

What could be causing this? I have an aftermarket alarm but I'm confident it's not interfering as all the signals & sounds it gives me suggest it's behaving. So this must be down the the OEM alarm or function...

The door dash button and remote fob 'lock' will sound the actuators in the doors but doesn't actually lock them. What's even more weird is that if I push the door trim pin's 'down', when I press the unlock button on the fob, it will unlock the doors but not re-lock them?! It feels like something somewhere needs time to 'clear'. I couldn't find any threads on line replicating this issue.

Door handles internal/external still function as you'd expect.

Any ideas?
No one is going to trouble shoot past your 3rd paragraph :o

Man of Honour
That's the M3 in the garage for the foreseeable. Absolutely no super unleaded in the area and I don't want to waste any more fuel trying to find some. I was hoping to take it to Cornwall next week as we're going away on holiday but we managed to find regular E10 for the Tiguan will be used instead. The current fuel situation IMO has been solely created by the media.

Soldato
That's the M3 in the garage for the foreseeable. Absolutely no super unleaded in the area and I don't want to waste any more fuel trying to find some. I was hoping to take it to Cornwall next week as we're going away on holiday but we managed to find regular E10 for the Tiguan will be used instead. The current fuel situation IMO has been solely created by the media.
Just fill the M3 up next week ? Sure it'll all be fine by then tbh. People haven't suddenly started using more petrol so the demand for petrol stations will be well down over the next few weeks I bet.

Maybe you're part of the problem trying to fill it up right now for a trip next week :p

Man of Honour
Maybe you're part of the problem trying to fill it up right now for a trip next week :p
I went to fill it up as it's on the fuel light.

The Tiguan has been filled up as it's in daily use and was also on the fuel light.

Perhaps you shouldn't be so presumptuous. ;)

Soldato
I don't use my car that much, so why do I now feel like I've been grounded aha. Supposed to be going to this Lotus event tomorrow too. Hmmm.

2021-09-27Grounded.JPG

mjt

mjt

Soldato
Right settled on this finally

https://configure.bmw.co.uk/en_GB/configid/e6j5d4on - £79,320

BMW X5 45e Msport in Tanzanite Blue

Comfort Pack
Technology Plus pack
Towbar
Sun Protection Glass

managed to get 8.5% discount from the dealer so makes it £72,577.80. I had hoped to get it under £70k but 8.5% doesnt seem to be a bad discount under the current climate?
Tanzanite blue doesn’t do anything for me. I’d get that dark red or spend less on a non-Individual colour personally. Black leather is boring too :p

Soldato
Right settled on this finally

https://configure.bmw.co.uk/en_GB/configid/e6j5d4on - £79,320

BMW X5 45e Msport in Tanzanite Blue

Comfort Pack
Technology Plus pack
Towbar
Sun Protection Glass

managed to get 8.5% discount from the dealer so makes it £72,577.80. I had hoped to get it under £70k but 8.5% doesnt seem to be a bad discount under the current climate?
You gotta be a top revenue earner/have copious amounts of corner sofas and Gucci belts to be spanking 5 grand on rear dual zone aircon + rear cooled seats + some vibrating front seats and soft close doors. And then a further 3 grand of crap rear infotainment - do your kids not have iPads?

Not sure if you spotted either but it says 45e doesn't get the M-Sport exhaust (assuming you have something better?)

That said £72k for a new 45e seems to be cheaper than what is available second hand at the moment.

Back
Top Bottom