It's funny how (fuel shortages)

Soldato
I'm quite enjoying people posting quotes of drivers explaining how there is no shortage. A bit like someone working the till at Maccy Ds explaining the foot and mouth or mad cow disease challenges to the burger supply chain.

Caporegime
Their isn't.

But people are ******* *****

LOL :D

Luckily I have two tube stations, a train station and a billion bus stops where I live, so I'm able to use public transport. The car hit 29 miles remaining on the way home so we're saving that for Friday, when we need to be at work too early to rely on public transport.

The petrol station outside of my work however had fuel today and watching the queue descend in to third world chaos every hour or so was an easy way to pass the time. The lengths people will go to to make sure they're in front of everyone else is amazing, it's like they live in a parallel universe all by themselves and occasionally have to pop in here with us to get their supplies. How some of them haven't had 10 bells kicked out of them is amazing :eek:

Soldato
So call me a crackpot if you will but this theory that I have sounds like it could be on point..

Bare with me. So your a haulage company who had lost a lot drivers from abroad that went home or can't get visas, so you can't pay minimum/lower wages to your drivers you see this as Brexit effecting your profits, not that your actually paying a living wage for a driver.. You still have plenty of drivers from the UK that are driving and learning. You obviously don't have as many as before so you can't send out as many as you'd like to make more money to cover your increase in wages.

Your currently making a profit more inline with what you should be paying anyway but your not happy about this and want to solve it, what do you do?

Create a panic over a non existent shortage of petrol at pumps, which in turn makes people buy more and thus put up demand, which in turn puts up the need for petrol trucks beyond what is the common average, and thus the need for drivers.

Now blame the government and propose that you need overseas drivers because we lack the staff, but actually it's because you want a cheaper workforce to increase your profit margins.

Soldato
So call me a crackpot if you will but this theory that I have sounds like it could be on point..

Bare with me. So your a haulage company who had lost a lot drivers from abroad that went home or can't get visas, so you can't pay minimum/lower wages to your drivers you see this as Brexit effecting your profits, not that your actually paying a living wage for a driver.. You still have plenty of drivers from the UK that are driving and learning. You obviously don't have as many as before so you can't send out as many as you'd like to make more money to cover your increase in wages.

Your currently making a profit more inline with what you should be paying anyway but your not happy about this and want to solve it, what do you do?

Create a panic over a non existent shortage of petrol at pumps, which in turn makes people buy more and thus put up demand, which in turn puts up the need for petrol trucks beyond what is the common average, and thus the need for drivers.

Now blame the government and propose that you need overseas drivers because we lack the staff, but actually it's because you want a cheaper workforce to increase your profit margins.
Or, trying to get rid of fuel that is about to expire as during the pandemic, less people were driving. So there is a lot of petrol that is about to be thrown away

Associate
Government ministers and The Telegraph have already accused the Road Haulage Association (RHA) of leaking the BP information in order to ramp up pressure on the government to let in foreign drivers. A charge, I should add, the RHA denies.

Associate

I was thinking something similar, the industry leaders have all been on the radio whinging about the lack of drivers and begging the government to lift restrictions on EU workers. I am not a tory but I find myself agreeing with Boris, it's about time they took responsibilty for their own industries, training folk instead of relying on cheap imports and offering decent pay and conditions. On top of this our logistics network is rubbish, a huge number of conventional trucks spend half their time tugging an empty trailer, wasting fuel and capacity.

Back
Top Bottom