**The Mental Health Thread**

Associate
Hi everyone. Just wanted to add some information, I feel in today’s society we forget the little things that can help. Especially when we feel our dopamine levels drop, naturally as we grow older we get less dopamine so it’s important to focus on the little things that will go a long way.

Whoever reads this, just wanted to remind you how far having a good diet, exercise, sleep, laugher, reminiscing good times and connecting with old friends and making new friends is very very important in balancing dopamine levels in the body. These ALL go such a long way!

It’s difficult and it’s okay having hard days, we all have them. But try not to stay in that position for too long. Don’t neglect your body and try to look after it as much as you can. And there is always help out there if you need it.

Hope you all have a great day!

OG

OG

Associate
Yes, somewhere. I imagine it's not uncommon for people to retreat into computing for one reason or another, and not realising that it is retreating until later in life.

Years ago if you had asked me how my upbringing was, I would have said, "great, strict but great". Now I am only just starting to realise the negative impacts it had on me.

I would say that there are a lot of people on this forum with mental health issues. Far more than realise it.

I think this is a fairly common thought process to go through, even if not directly addressed in therapy sessions. I think once you start having your 'eyes/mind opened' through therapy it feels fairly easy to start thinking more about your past, your upbringing etc. Me (and my wife) have both found that expecting our first child has cast a huge spotlight on our upbringing, parenting styles and even our relationships with our parents in the present day.

We've started our NCT classes over the past few weeks with other expectant parents. After hearing other people talk about their expectations for parenthood and a session where we had to explore how we may deal with post natal depression I'm quite frankly ecstatic that me and my partner are already in therapy, just feels like we're much more aware and (somewhat) prepared of what difficulties we will encounter.

Associate
We all have issues to some extent.. just a question of how much. "Statistics" suggest (I forget exact quote) over 1/3 of us experience some mental health issue during life.

Associate
Completely understand that sort of feeling. Have felt similar when starting going to therapy, have a loving family, good job etc so why on earth am I anxious/what do I have to be anxious about? It's all relative though.

Telling family in my experience is extremely difficult but I promise you, the moment you tell someone close to you about feeling anxious they will more than likely respond with their experiences. I'm always amazed when I do eventually tell colleagues or whoever that I'm in therapy for X they're extremely understanding and some have actually asked about my experiences!

Is there provision where you are for mental health services?

I have reached out to a close friend where I live and met with him for a coffee. He's always busy with work and his child, but he was really nice saying he'd find time to play tennis and stuff. I've also found some casual work three days a week, landscaping and generally helping out, at a friend's lodge close by. Just being outside 3 days a week should help entertain my mind.

Capodecina
Soldato
A nice cool 13C on the way to work this morning, the first Autumnal morning of the year. I seriously felt enlivened on the way to work and my entire spirits have been lifted. Everything feels great.

My therapist agreed that SSAD was a tertiary issue for me but seriously, it feels that the weather often plays an overridingly strong role in how I can feel day to day.

Soldato
@Lysander The lower temperature is certainly nicer during the day and for waking up in the morning.

I did not take well to the Mirtazipine, I had a bit of a breakdown. I am back to the Sertraline, with diazepam twice a day and Zopiclone before bed.
I was concerned about the side effects and insomnia that I had before, but I feel calmer throughout the day, and sleep normally at night (constantly). This combination seems to be working on both ends.

Associate
A nice cool 13C on the way to work this morning, the first Autumnal morning of the year. I seriously felt enlivened on the way to work and my entire spirits have been lifted. Everything feels great.

My therapist agreed that SSAD was a tertiary issue for me but seriously, it feels that the weather often plays an overridingly strong role in how I can feel day to day.

I agree... fresh air and weather do help mood. I've been struggling and wife basically ordered me to go for a walk to collect some milk. Was noticeable how much more alive I felt after

Capodecina
Soldato
I agree... fresh air and weather do help mood. I've been struggling and wife basically ordered me to go for a walk to collect some milk. Was noticeable how much more alive I felt after

Yes, these kinds of things are so basic that we often forget how much of a difference they can make.

Food, exercise and sleep play an immense role in our mood changes.

Associate
What are you on bud?

Citalopram... I'm sure its placebo effect.. I dont sleep well, I wake if a car drives by in the night. I woke when some nice chap was trying my car doors at night. Also got some balance issues which make sleep awkward if I turn over. Nothing too bad but I've never had any problems before last few years

Soldato
I've been told that I will have another review with a look of discharging next Wednesday, so just another week of observation.
I need to check if they will be taking me off the Diazepam or Zopiclone, the difference in general mood and sleep quality is a marked improvement than without, but I understand the Diazepam can be addictive.
In the meantime work are seeing if they can set me up with something to work from home which I appreciate.
Overall, compared to last week things are heading up.

Associate
On day 11 of coming off Sertraline and still struggling with non refreshing sleep. Energy levels are better but still not great though :(

Hang in there, it will get better.

The best thing I ever did was get off the AD's, I will never touch the things again. I came off Venlafaxine cold turkey and it was not pleasant but worth it in the end.

Soldato
Hang in there, it will get better.

The best thing I ever did was get off the AD's, I will never touch the things again. I came off Venlafaxine cold turkey and it was not pleasant but worth it in the end.

Cheers. Already ditched the Venlafaxine earlier this year with minimal trouble but got some bad news not long after that hit me hard. So odd as I was quite active until whatever happened to me started. Fingers crossed!

Soldato
Its awful when you go to bed feeling the worst you've ever felt but can't work out why.
Everything feels quite numb, not bothered about anything, and am so irritable at the moment as well. Every day for the past few weeks has been a blur, with nothing notable to remember.

Sometimes I go to bed, and just wish that I don't have to wake up and deal with the same stuff all over again.
Shouldn't be this way, but i'm in a slump big time. On the surface I have everything which should make someone happy. But inside, I just feel so broken, but can't say whats on my mind because I don't know how to say it.

Associate
So after a fantastic day out with a friend on Saturday , I woke up at 2am on Sunday morning with some of the worst anxiety i've had in years. My interest in anything and everything has vanished , can't motivate myself to do anything. Heart-Rate is high again and appetite gone too. Guess it'll be back to the GP then, seeing some of the responses here though i hope i don't just get handed a load of pills..... Have a fair idea of why i'm feeling this way and it's irrational , but can't shake it

Back
Top Bottom