Civilization VI

Man of Honour
Why do you take coastal cities?

Also can you tell me how much damage do you do in the end game with battleships on a city? As I mentioned above, even with missile defenders I dont seem to be scratching the surface...

Because with half a dozen battleships boosted with the bombardment ability a coastal city is easy to take and it then gives me a beachhead to use loyalty to take the adjacent cities without needing an army. Plus the battleship can have a range of 4, which means it can sit outside the range of city defences and bombard the city without taking any damage themselves, so its only ever a matter of time before the city falls.

Associate
Anyone else having issues with it being stuck at please wait after next turn no matter the game or settings since the winter patch?

Yep. I've had the most amount of hang ups I've ever had in the game. At least 1 in 5 games ends up sitting on the turn waiting ad infinitum and I end up having to open task manager and killing it.

Vietnam look interesting for the next Civ. Going to be interesting with their district placement requirements.

Soldato
Because with half a dozen battleships boosted with the bombardment ability a coastal city is easy to take and it then gives me a beachhead to use loyalty to take the adjacent cities without needing an army. Plus the battleship can have a range of 4, which means it can sit outside the range of city defences and bombard the city without taking any damage themselves, so its only ever a matter of time before the city falls.
How do you use loyalty to take near by city's. I can barely get loyalty builds to work.

Man of Honour
How do you use loyalty to take near by city's. I can barely get loyalty builds to work.

Make sure that you have cities nearby within 9 tiles, build up their population (this is where taking the enemy cities really helps because you get a ready made population) , stick the governor into the city who has the reduces nearby enemy city loyalty ability (forget their name) and make the city run the bread and circus build item over and over. I've literally taken 70% of the map in my games by just using loyalty to "flip" nearby cities rather than build up big armies.

Soldato
Make sure that you have cities nearby within 9 tiles, build up their population (this is where taking the enemy cities really helps because you get a ready made population) , stick the governor into the city who has the reduces nearby enemy city loyalty ability (forget their name) and make the city run the bread and circus build item over and over. I've literally taken 70% of the map in my games by just using loyalty to "flip" nearby cities rather than build up big armies.
Does that still work on the slower game modes with slower build speed? Not tried the bread and circus method, I used the governor and Civ's with extra -loyalty but even when I was in a golden age and the people next to me in a dark age I had trouble flipping city. About 2 or 3 per game total was all I managed on the harder game settings. Do you focus on max population size? City's set to food at least the ones near the enemy?

Thanks for the info something to try next time I play.

Associate
Does that still work on the slower game modes with slower build speed? Not tried the bread and circus method, I used the governor and Civ's with extra -loyalty but even when I was in a golden age and the people next to me in a dark age I had trouble flipping city. About 2 or 3 per game total was all I managed on the harder game settings. Do you focus on max population size? City's set to food at least the ones near the enemy?

If you want to flip cities via loyalty, then either of the Elenores are the Civ's to pick. Plonk a theatre district as close to the enemy border as you can, fill it with great works and laugh as their cities fall down like dominos. You usually find that once one city goes, all the surrounding ones start folding too as two theatre districts with great writing works and art or artifacts (I usually get a religion and try to pick cathedrals for that +1 religious artwork) you'd be looking at 10+ loyalty being projected on them and that is excluding if you can get a golden age going too.

The one problem I've been finding though is you still get penalised for taking an enemy capital, even if they rebelled and joined you peacefully. It's pretty ridiculous to take the -5 diplomatic currency per turn for it which was designed to stymie warmongers.

Man of Honour

I only ever play the game on the longest game length and have won on every difficulty level right up to and including Diety, I dont focus particularly on food but I do try to keep my cities populations growing nicely. Once you start loyalty flipping its like a wave or dominoes, you start flipping each next one faster and faster, sometimes too fast, which is something you have to be careful of. You dont want too many, too close to each other, to be in the "free state" stage at the same time or they become very difficult to turn due to the large loyalty bonus that adjacent free states get.

Soldato
I only ever play the game on the longest game length and have won on every difficulty level right up to and including Diety, I dont focus particularly on food but I do try to keep my cities populations growing nicely. Once you start loyalty flipping its like a wave or dominoes, you start flipping each next one faster and faster, sometimes too fast, which is something you have to be careful of. You dont want too many, too close to each other, to be in the "free state" stage at the same time or they become very difficult to turn due to the large loyalty bonus that adjacent free states get.
That could be a 2nd area where I went wrong. Last game was with Dramatic Ages and 70% citys by mid game had flopped to free states. It got so bad some AI Civ died as 100% of city's flipped to free state and I couldn't flip anything back. Not sure if Dramatic Ages has been tweaked since it first came out. It was pretty crazy the first 2 games I played with it.

Soldato
Anyone tried the brilliant/broken monopolies mode yet?

Haven't done the sub 100 turn win game just yet, but have found I'm close to turning off the cultural win condition with it enabled as the tourism multiplier goes crazy really quick and the ai is not geared up to prioritise amassing luxuries...

The dramatic ages mode is still brilliantly funny, mostly as a dark age spiral of doom is the fate of the ai if you just do one little thing to them, just convert them to your religion and they fall apart

Soldato
Looks like the Anothology is just the base game including all DLC (both expansions, new frontiers pass, and all of the DLC Civs), nothing actually new added.
Definitely not worth it for the existing players then. I read they were making it a bit more accessible and easier for people to get into Civ games. They are usually pretty complex by the time a couple of expansion packs have come out.

Soldato
looking to start playing this again, pretty new to the whole Civ games though, should I be getting any of the DLC to add to the experience or should I just play the base game first (I already have the base game just never had chance to properly put some time into it).

Deleted member 236143

D

Deleted member 236143

the new gathering storm content is good, rise and fall just really adds factions, so try to get em on sales.
Using governors can be hmmmmm and hmmm at first watch some vids on them.
But still a game I have sank hundreds of hours in

Soldato
looking to start playing this again, pretty new to the whole Civ games though, should I be getting any of the DLC to add to the experience or should I just play the base game first (I already have the base game just never had chance to properly put some time into it).
My preferred way to play is without with expansion. Play a few games then when it starts getting boring add an expansion, play some more wait a while then add an expansion and so on. This extends the life of the game for me to over 500 hours over years.

Soldato
For me gathering storm was good because I liked the extra dynamic of the natural disasters. I’m not a big fan of the loyalty or spy systems. I think the spy system is a little overpowered and the loyalty system is annoying for base expansion on smaller/restricted/lots of players maps.

Soldato
I have all the expansions and like to chop and change what I turn on - Heroes and Villains one game, Secret Societies the next, then some games with lots of them on. Currently going through a thing where I play as a single leader (currently Peter as never really used him) and play the same setup 4 times for a Science, Culture, Religious and Domination victory. Done Religious (Turn 168) and Science (turn 239) so far, once I win I hit restart, get a different map, but all the rest of the settings (including the AI leaders) remain the same.

I generally play small maps on Emperor currently, might have to go up a level (not Deity though :)).

Soldato
My preferred way to play is without with expansion. Play a few games then when it starts getting boring add an expansion, play some more wait a while then add an expansion and so on. This extends the life of the game for me to over 500 hours over years.

That’s a good idea, I’m guessing I just buy the DLC on steam when I need it and it automatically pops up in the game?

Soldato
That’s a good idea, I’m guessing I just buy the DLC on steam when I need it and it automatically pops up in the game?

Its often the case that buying the whole lot as a bundle is a lot cheaper than buying the base game, then the 3 main addons and all the little addons. I would buy it all if there is a good deal out there and then just turn on the different options on a game by game basis.

Back
Top Bottom