Poll: Do you, or anyone in your house, buy a newspaper?

Do you, or anyone in your house, buy a newspaper?

• Total voters
Associate
Not purchased a paper in years, I don't need to when I've got a smartphone. My grandad on the other hand, walks up to his local paper shop every day, rain or shine to get his papers, he doesn't have a smartphone. Like many others, he's set in his way's and won't change.
Well, I'm a grandfather too. I used to buy a newspaper for the Telegraph crossword. I haven't done so for about forty years.

D4N

D4N

Associate
I sometimes get one if I’m buying fuel. It makes a change from looking online at the news, and I’ll read things in the paper that I wouldn’t have bothered even searching out if I were looking on my phone.

Soldato
I dont buy a newspaper, but..

My nieghbour is a 95 year old lady. She has a paper every day and when shes done she pushes it through our letterbox.

Just my way of knowing shes ok. No paper by teatime ill knock on check shes alright.

Soldato
I sometimes get one if I’m buying fuel. It makes a change from looking online at the news, and I’ll read things in the paper that I wouldn’t have bothered even searching out if I were looking on my phone.

Don’t you find it much easier to drive and read your phone though? I guess now the broadsheets aren’t as big it’s not that hard but I do think reading a newspaper whilst driving isn’t as safe as reading a phone.

Soldato
Nope, not bought one in years. We pay for the TV Licence which funds the BBC so I just use their news site, although I wish it wasn't so damn dumbed down and full of social justice rubbish. At least it's near completely reliable though.

Imagine paying £20 a week for the Guardian

Ugh, my Mum regularly buys the Mail and then tries to quote it to me like it's gospel. I can almost feel the brain cells committing suicide as I listen.

Soldato
OP
It's really interesting to read the replies (and the poll, thanks Mods).

I used to buy the local newspaper regularly and read it from cover to cover. Then it went out of business, and now its online - though the website is full of adverts.

Imagine paying £20 a week for the Guardian

I noticed that too. I was surprised. How many working class people can afford to pay £20 a week for the Guardian!?

Associate
Used to but not anymore. Liked to read the metro on the train home but work local now so don’t even both with that. Everything’s online now so can’t see why anyone bothers with papers.

Associate
I used to almost religiously buy the Guardian until it became rabidly middle class false left and self-obsessed - the Independent is anything but "independent" and try to be more Guardian than the Guardian. The papers now represent their own clique, and the only side NOT represented by papers or TV or Radio are the ordinary working class people. So no. I stopped buying them. I also along with hundreds of thousands others stopped voting Labour too, and am further away than ever. They are not the party of the working classes any more (who still pay for it remember)
I do often read ALL papers on the net - and worryingly, I find myself agreeing more and more often with the Tory ones, and getting enraged by yet more self-destructive lunacy with the Labour ones

Man of Honour
We don't. My parents still do, although my dad just uses it as a good reason to stop off at the pub for a couple of pints on a Saturday/Sunday afternoon when he picks it up :D

Caporegime
Not bought a newspaper for years, occasionally read various ones which reminds me why I haven’t bought one for years….

Newsprint was always too small for me to read, so I've never bought a paper for myself.

Ever tried glasses? Edit: genuinely asking (I’m advised you have poor eyesight) an old , late mate of mine was blind in one eye and very very poorly sighted in his other yet recent developments in glasses technology allowed him to read newspapers and the like again.

Last edited:
Soldato
Does anyone remember on a Saturday night watching Blind Date or Stars in their Eyes and during the adverts the News of the World or Sunday Mirror would be advertising some EXCLUSIVE STORY available in the paper the next day! Usually some low budged knocked up in 5 minutes advert with high drama voiceover of a scandal that would "Shock the world!!!" and only avaioable in that paper in the morning.

Looking back its a bit sick knowing what papers like the News of The World were actually up to.

Caporegime
You obviously don't know about his awful eyesight problems
No idea, genuinely asking though, an old mate of mine was blind in one eye and very very poorly sighted in his other yet recent developments in glasses technology allowed him to read again, in fairness I should have put that in my reply and have edited it.

Soldato
Ugh, my Mum regularly buys the Mail and then tries to quote it to me like it's gospel. I can almost feel the brain cells committing suicide as I listen.

We get customers like your mum! It’s infuriating. We are NOT interested in the BS rubbish. Don’t have the heart to say will you stop talking about this. Usually I change the subject about food/drink based on their shopping or something local.

Man of Honour
I was never really a newspaper buyer, always went for a good magazine.

I've not bought one for decades and I consume less and less mainstream media by the week.

News has been replaced by editorial opinion and I don't need someone who shares few of my values to tell me what to think. Sadly our nation seems to want more of this as the current petrol issues evidence.

Back
Top Bottom