Energy Suppliers

Soldato
Well that's just ******* great. Just got a email from Shell so I guess my switch to Sainsburys isn't going ahead. The Shell tariff is much more expensive, a extra 10p on each standing charge, almost a extra 3p per kwh on electricity and 0.6p per kwh extra on gas. With all the better of the poor deal gone this is going to be a very expensive winter!!

Can confirm I've had emails from both too.

I think my switch is a day ahead of @b0rn2sk8.

Soldato
6IE3RxB.jpg

So that's the tariff (thanks @TheVoice)

It's 1p a unit cheaper on gas than my current switch (which I can cancel). But I get 200 pounds cashback for switching.

Might stick with my switch
Wonder if its worth cancelling

Unless I'm missing something about the Price cap, that is well above it.

The headline price cap figure is based on a typical user - which is 3,100 kWh of electricity and 12,000 kWh of gas in a year, according to Ofgem. From October 1st it is £1277.00 for a DD customer.

Based on these figures a typical user would be paying £1439.04.

Caporegime
Shell aren't allowed to charge us more than the price cap are they?

Why would you assume that? they have to provide you with a like for like service at the best possible price they can.
I didn't know that. Everything I had read up to now suggested they move everyone on to the same tariff and you either live with it or move to another supplier.

Soldato
Well, Green energy have folded so I have been assigned Shell energy by Ofgem
Green, the rates were 15.4p p/kwh day and 9.1p p/kwh night
Shell, the rates are 41p p/kwh!?!? :eek::mad:

How do big companies manage to survive, by simply charging 4x more than other companies?

Soldato
I'm on a prepay meter so well used to paying over the odds but it's a bit concerning see monthly tariff prices in this thread higher than my current rates. I guess they can go up at any time with little to no warning?? This last year I was on something like 20p standing charge and 20p kw/h. I already know the standing charge is going to up 29p in October because of a letter I had in August before all this nonsense kicked off. The kw/h difference was negligible.

No doubt it will go up by obscene amounts now?? :/

Soldato
I'm on a prepay meter so well used to paying over the odds but it's a bit concerning see monthly tariff prices in this thread higher than my current rates. I guess they can go up at any time with little to no warning?? This last year I was on something like 20p standing charge and 20p kw/h. I already know the standing charge is going to up 29p in October because of a letter I had in August before all this nonsense kicked off. The kw/h difference was negligible.

No doubt it will go up by obscene amounts now?? :/
Your supplier has to notify you of increases in product price and standing charge usually 3 months notice. Do you have a smart meter or are you still an old key meter user?

Soldato
Old school key meter. At least the advance warning thing is good news. Thanks for that.

edit: my october price rise letter was dated 28th August - not even 5 weeks. :p

Last edited:
Soldato
Old school key meter. At least the advance warning thing is good news. Thanks for that.
so your meter gets updated every time you top up (basically the key gets reprogrammed every time you go to the shop), if you want to keep your electric as cheap as possible for as long as possible stick £150 on the meter before the price goes up. Your meter will maintain the current price until you top up after the notified date.

Soldato
Having just checked my letter again, I got it completely wrong. The standing charge is roughly the same (29.2p -> 29.4).

My hourly rate going up from 18.2 to 20.2p which they reckon will cost an extra £30 a year. I'd be delighted if that would stick but it obviously won't. :D

Soldato
Kraken software doesn't appear to implement the hedging / long term modelling strategy , to which there ceo attributes resilience
The software is just a customer servicing abd management tool, thr hedging is done based on a combined eac/aa from all customers and the bug 5 have to buy 14 months in advance based o this data.

Kraken doesnt change that, it may effect the accuracy but it doesnt effect the process

Soldato
Those shell prices are I think above the cap, not sure whats going on there. I have read about a levy thats going to be applied which all customers on any tariff will have to pay into, whether thats been accounted for or if its billed as a levy on bills I dont know.

Soldato
Green was the following
Day - 15.4
Night - 9.1
Standing charge - 22

Shell, even the cheapest tariff is more expensive

Day - 22.5
Night - 16.2
Standing - 34.1

Are these companies not regulated in any way? If seems I could setup my own company supplying electric and charge what the hell I like. Seems a bit like the wild west!

Soldato
Green was the following
Day - 15.4
Night - 9.1
Standing charge - 22

Shell, even the cheapest tariff is more expensive

Day - 22.5
Night - 16.2
Standing - 34.1

Are these companies not regulated in any way? If seems I could setup my own company supplying electric and charge what the hell I like. Seems a bit like the wild west!
Ofcorse it’s more expensive, that’s why these companies are going under because what your paying in the current climate is unsustainable, AFAIK your new company has to put you on their SVR or a special rate but they don’t have to give you the same rate you are paying now

Soldato
Ofcorse it’s more expensive, that’s why these companies are going under because what your paying in the current climate is unsustainable, AFAIK your new company has to put you on their SVR or a special rate but they don’t have to give you the same rate you are paying now

I expected it to be more expensive, but not possibly 3 or 4x more expensive. Yeh, of course they dont have to provide the same rate as its a different company.

Where do people stand legally who were with one of the companies that went under if they were in a 12 month / 24 month or more contract for X rates. Surely these compaines are in breach of breaking contracts signed or does it all go down the toilet when they fold?

Soldato
Those shell prices are I think above the cap, not sure whats going on there.
I wondered if you only get the cap, if you are on the govt £150 is it warm deal ? for lower incomes.
otherwise looks like the small companies may even be subsidising existing customers, with the transferees.

Soldato
I imagine it all goes down the toilet. Be a bit harsh for other companies to have to take a huge hit if someone offered a service too cheaply.

It's annoying as i was torn between Green and Scottish Power and went with Green. I was smug the other day when a mate was having to pay these new prices because i was fixed until April so could ride out the winter cheaply :(

Soldato
Just moving away from prices for a short while...has anyone on Octopus downloaded the Octocomparison app?

I've only been with Octopus since 16th and Go since 17th...just wondering if it is actually accurate on the prices?

Only reason I ask is I've been making a huge effort with running things overnight...clearly it's saving quite a lot of money going by this as this is including charging the electric car.

Considering I had a direct debit setup for £111 a month based on Avros estimates (excluding car) I could be making some decent savings.

Vs5rdFO.jpg

Caporegime
Just got a generic email from Sainsbury's Energy confirming that my switch will be happening on the 7th October. That's one less thing to flap about.

I'm still hoping to get some sort of confirmation on the shell energy tariff.

Hoping to hear something before I can't cancel my switch anymore

Man of Honour
The Shell Energy email was severely lacking in any details at all but their tariffs are very expensive. It's all very confusing. Was with Green, Green goes bust, get a welcome letter from Shell Energy effective from the 27th then a day later get a confirmation email from Sainsbury's that my switch will take place on the 7th. It's enough to confuse the hell out of anyone. In the meantime I suppose I am going to get hit with a double direct debit, one from Green/Shell and one from Sainsbury's also at the begining of the month. I see that gas has taken another big increase in price over the past couple of days as well.

How are people supposed to suck up all these big price increases? Petrol/diesel is increasing again, food is increasing then there are the massive increases in energy cost. All these increases in everything apart from income. Guess how much my RAF disability pension and Veterans Agency War Pension went up this year? A whopping £1.53 a month on my RAF pension and nothing at all on my War Pension. My wife's pay increased by just over a fiver a week. It's ridiculous.

Back
Top Bottom