What's the multiplayer FPS I need?

Caporegime
What are the cool kids playing these days when it comes to multiplayer FPS games? I'm thinking deathmatch, team deathmatch, CTF - basically my brain has stagnated to UT2003/4 and needs what is now, I suppose, a retro and probably unfashionable hit of the good stuff.

I don't care about and actually avoid:
  • battle royale
  • games where realism trumps enjoyment
  • 'war' type games (I tried COD MW and bounced off it ... hard)
I saw a piece on Eurogamer this morning about whatever the new Halo is called and it featured, in part, the PC port, and it probably sparked this longing for more simple, more to the point, fun. Even watching the guys play a beta was enjoyable. I'll keep an eye on it.

I know it's not healthy or even practical to look to the past too much but if any of the above makes sense and you have some suggestions I am all ears.

mags x

Caporegime
cool kids are playing new world for the pvp modes

Apex legends
or
Valorant

are like the new fortnite but a lot will probably switch to new world for now

Soldato
I'm more a 'war' type game fan. But my mates play Destiny2 - and it's free. I have played it and it's a modern day UT.

As a big Destiny fan I don't see how you have played Destiny and thought it was a modern day Unreal Tournament. They play nothing alike? :confused:

What are the cool kids playing these days when it comes to multiplayer FPS games? I'm thinking deathmatch, team deathmatch, CTF - basically my brain has stagnated to UT2003/4 and needs what is now, I suppose, a retro and probably unfashionable hit of the good stuff.

I'd recommend Split Gate. It's a free to play arena based shooter and is really good fun. Has the modes you are looking for and the gameplay is really smooth.

I tend to stick to Team Swat and Team Shottys and Snipers but there are modes for everyone. It'll take a few games but when it clicks and you start using the portals you'll get some laugh out loud kills and feel like a god - until someone portals behind you and gets their revenge :D

Soldato
As a big Destiny fan I don't see how you have played Destiny and thought it was a modern day Unreal Tournament. They play nothing alike? :confused:

I am so sorry I didn't write an in depth accurate review. It isn't war, it's a fantasy shooter with fantasy weapons etc etc. More UT than realism.

Please expand on what the difference is then, for the OP

Caporegime
OP
^ Thank you for that, I'll have a look. It seems the wall/rocket jumps and that type of older school mechanic are replaced by (literal) portals? Nice :D

e: for clarity, I'm responding to post #5 by Junglist.

Man of Honour
Give quake champions a go. Get ready to get very rekt but if you have half decent arena FPS experience you'll be the rekker as opposed to the rekker sooner rather than later. Population count is low but it's free and the menu music is killer :p

Caporegime
OP
Give quake champions a go. Get ready to get very rekt but if you have half decent arena FPS experience you'll be the rekker as opposed to the rekker sooner rather than later. Population count is low but it's free and the menu music is killer :p
Good call Zefan and thank you. The last update I had on that from Steam was 'Quake Champions 2021 Summer Update' which was good; the traversal is there, the movement is almost there, but it still feels very WIP. I realise that might be unfair given their backing and resource. Thank you though :)

Keep them coming gang :)

Man of Honour
It's definitely "finished", but it never got popular enough unfortunately. It's also free to play so it has this slow burn development feel like even War Thunder still sort of has. For a solo/duo blast though it's really amazing fun when you grow in competitiveness in ranked.

Soldato
I am so sorry I didn't write an in depth accurate review. It isn't war, it's a fantasy shooter with fantasy weapons etc etc. More UT than realism.

Please expand on what the difference is then, for the OP

I'm not sure what the snide response is for? But Destiny is nothing like Unreal Tournament other than it's a FPS.

The reasons in my mind why Destiny/Destiny 2 are nothing like a UT or Quake styled FPS.
  • Destiny is a class based game. The 3 different classes all have different movement speeds and jumps - UT Does not do this. Every character has the same speed and jump
  • Destiny being a class based game, the 3 different classes also have different grenades and expanding on that, abilities and 'supers'.
  • Destiny's Armour and weapon perks can effect the balance of the PvP multiplayer
  • Destiny does not have map pick up weapons instead it is all based of what you find in both PvE and PvP. If OP started playing Destiny PvP today at level 0 he will have less effective weapons compared to someone who has been grinding away and has the raid weapons - same can be said for armour
Destiny is a fantastic shooter in its own right and the PvP is great fun to play but it is horrifically balanced due to Bungie not knowing if they want it to be a predominantly PvE or PvP game. I've no issue with anyone recommending Destiny as a game to play as the shooting is really nice and tight feeling on the PC and movement between the classes is fun to get used to but I think it's a bit silly calling it a modern day UT when the only similarities they share are they are both space fps and have announcers.

UT is balanced from the off. Doesn't matter how long you've played the game, each round you start off with exactly the same as someone who could be playing their first ever round. All the playable characters move the same and all the weapons which can be found around the arena handle the same irrespective of what armour you may be wearing or what exotic weapons you may be using.

^ Thank you for that, I'll have a look. It seems the wall/rocket jumps and that type of older school mechanic are replaced by (literal) portals? Nice :D

e: for clarity, I'm responding to post #5 by Junglist.

It's really good fun. On some maps placing a tactical portal on an angled wall then jumping down to gain lots of speed and shoot out the other end across the map at breakneck speeds is very satisfying. Have managed to get some kills that had me laughing like a child more times than I'd like to admit

Soldato
Seeing as there are a fair few people who like it I'd be up for a few games some time. Pretty much only play it by myself but can imagine it's good fun with a team!

Back
Top Bottom