Sopranos prequel movie: "The Many Saints of Newark"

Caporegime
Never watched 1 minute of the Sopranos, however this has piqued my interest. I may just start watching the series.
If you get the time, try it. As a couple of posts above have said - it's fantastic TV. I think I am on 3 watches so far and the sheen hasn't worn off one bit yet. Just brilliant.

As for comedy - Pine Barrens (episode) is hilarious or most things Paulie :D.

Soldato
I really liked the Sopranos but have tried a couple of times to rewatch in the last few years and can't get it to stick for a 2nd watch, I generally enjoy slow burn drama quite a bit as well.

Maybe on the back of this movie i'll properly give a rewatch a go, although i'm on the fence from that trailer.

As mentioned above, Pine Barrens is a fantastic episode.

Associate
I'll give this a go out of respect for James Gandolfini and the fact his son looks like a right chip off the old block, got some size to him which is important for the role.

Hard act to follow, very few actors could combine charisma and menace like he could.

With good writing this should be a quality watch.

Caporegime
It's a good watch but has a different feel to the TV series, as it would with being condensed into a 2-hour film. Michael did a good job of young Tony but obviously has a long way to go to meet his father's level of acting. This was probably a benefit really as his acting is quite raw and suits a young, insecure Tony trying to find his way in that life. I don't think it would have felt right getting anyone else in to do it.

Soldato
Sounds like a shame that it wasn’t a TV series instead. I’ll hopefully get a chance to watch this soon, currently midway through rewatching The Sopranos after not having watched it for about 12 years. It’s great :)

Back
Top Bottom