Rare white deer shot because it was getting dark.

Caporegime
How many people should it be allowed to injure and kill before the police take action? I would like a integer number please.
How many people are incapable of giving a wild animal space?

I mean, it's not hard, is it?

The problem is, as always, humans. Not the animal. The problems is always humans.

Associate
Being a white deer in a built up area like that possibly some human involvement, maybe someone tried to herd it away somehow.

I ride in parks with wild deer most days, not that uncommon to see white ones in those herds especially when younger. In terms of safety full grown males are very strong, easily could kill a child or elderly person and severely injure even younger stronger people with a simple charge. Some huge ones often peacefully grazing with lots of people walking by, they don't need much space in their environment and tolerate noise, but they definitely need to be respected as well.

Soldato
It's a Deer not a ******* Lion or a Bear
Did you see the picture in the link? Did you see the antlers on that thing?

Even if we ignore the antlers, If it starts to panic and sees humans as a danger it has the strength and weight to do serious harm to people. This isn't a disney movie.

How many people are incapable of giving a wild animal space?

I mean, it's not hard, is it?

The problem is, as always, humans. Not the animal. The problems is always humans.
How much space? 10m? 20m?
What happens if the animal approaches people do you expect them to turn around and run away? What about old or disabled people who can't move fast?
Do you think humans should just hide in their houses whenever animals decide to wonder into our towns and cities?

Humans like animals are naturally curious and will approach things. Seems like the problem is being curious.

Last edited:
Soldato

Exactly..

Funny reading the comments from people that have no idea about animals. Also netting it would not have been hard to do and then having a local vet with a sedative. Also any local zoo or animal sanctuary that deals with farm animals or large animals would have been able to catch it, even roping the animal and then a bunch of people restraining it. Again it's a deer not an elephant or a horse and even a horse would have been roped.

The best thing they all could have done is just go in their homes and have someone try make it go back to where it came from on a motorbike or a car if they could or simply leaving it alone and people to stay out of its way.

Anyways it's dead now so none of this helps the poor thing now. We are meant to be the smartest animal in the world we proved that again today we are not.

Caporegime
Exactly..

Funny reading the comments from people that have no idea about animals. Also netting it would not have been hard to do and then having a local vet with a sedative. Also any local zoo or animal sanctuary that deals with farm animals or large animals would have been able to catch it, even roping the animal and then a bunch of people restraining it. Again it's a deer not an elephant or a horse and even a horse would have been roped.

The best thing they all could have done is just go in their homes and have someone try make it go back to where it came from on a motorbike or a car if they could or simply leaving it alone and people to stay out of its way.

Anyways it's dead now so none of this helps the poor thing now. We are meant to be the smartest animal in the world we proved that again today we are not.

It's early on a sunday morning in an urban area qny vet stuff is a few hours away by the time you wake people up etc, if it runs off noones keeping up with it and it's going to cause a crash.

Like you say it's a dear not a bear or a lion it's what we make fancy sausages and burgers out of.

Soldato
Not as funny as reading comments from those who clearly didn't read past the headline.

I read it and read what the police tried and understand why they did what they did, my point was they should have tried more first and sadly they didn't. The police in the situation they were left with sadly gave them this option only, sadly no other place came to help them deal with it that had the equipment or the understanding of how to deal with that situation to save the animal and not allow anyone to get injured.

Soldato
just leave the thing alone

Wild deer are physically large pests.

An inadequate ~350,000 deer get shot in the UK every year in an attempt to manage population in absence of any natural predators in the UK.

Except not recently because covid destroyed venison demand so the hunters couldn't be bothered and deer population got a much bigger increase than usual.

This one looks pretty though?

Soldato
This is not a Jaws movie either.. It's a deer... Have you even been near a deer ?
Define near? Do you mean within touching distance because that would be no.

It probably weighs in the region of 100kg maybe a lot more. Imagine if it bolts down the street and slams into someone. I weigh 120kg and I know that it would not be pleasant for any individual if i run into them. Let alone a deer who probably has a higher top speed than me.
what if it goes for a headbut or a kick?

Soldato
Cornering a wild animal is a bad idea.

the article mentioned they had it in an industrial estate, going by maps/street view of the area they mention looks to have decent walls/fences with barbed wire etc, can't see how locking it in the relatively large area would be so hard?

nearly got run down by a doe once, even sans antlers one of those charging full speed isn't something i'd fancy colliding with.

Soldato
I read it and read what the police tried and understand why they did what they did, my point was they should have tried more first and sadly they didn't.

Maybe the extra time required to try more things would have made for additional risk to the public, something a higher-up decision maker will have had to account for in their risk analysis. At some point they just simply ran out of time to try humane actions and probably felt they were only left with one choice which did deal with the situation very quickly, even if they'd realised that it's not an ideal solution in the end.

Soldato
the article mentioned they had it in an industrial estate, going by maps/street view of the area they mention looks to have decent walls/fences with barbed wire etc, can't see how locking it in the relatively large area would be so hard?
It would be easy for us to "lock it in". Tha main concern is if the animal feels like it is trapped it may start fighting to get out.

nearly got run down by a doe once, even sans antlers one of those charging full speed isn't something i'd fancy colliding with.
That reminds me, someone at work was riding a push bike and had a deer slam into him and wipe him off his bike. His wife had to come and collect him because he was soo shaken and dazed that he wasn't in a position to continue riding. Thankfully no need for hospital treatment.

Caporegime
Did you see the picture in the link? Did you see the antlers on that thing?

Even if we ignore the antlers, If it starts to panic and sees humans as a danger it has the strength and weight to do serious harm to people. This isn't a disney movie.

How much space? 10m? 20m?
What happens if the animal approaches people do you expect them to turn around and run away? What about old or disabled people who can't move fast?
Do you think humans should just hide in their houses whenever animals decide to wonder into our towns and cities?

Humans like animals are naturally curious and will approach things. Seems like the problem is being curious.
There are cities in this world where deer encroach during the rutting season, and everybody knows to keep their doors shut and give them a really wide berth.

The trouble is in this country we killed everything that looked at us funny (centuries ago), and the people living here today are scared of foxes and seaguls, for Pete's sake.

Again, the problem is us. What are we going to do, given that we're expanding more and more into green sites to build more houses. Just exterminate all the animals that could maybe knock down a child? FFS...

This is the problem. Human thinking is the problem. "We're the most important species and everything that could hurt us must be shot on sight."

Soldato
There are cities in this world where deer encroach during the rutting season, and everybody knows to keep their doors shut and give them a really wide berth.

The trouble is in this country we killed everything that looked at us funny (centuries ago), and the people living here today are scared of foxes and seaguls, for Pete's sake.

Again, the problem is us. What are we going to do, given that we're expanding more and more into green sites to build more houses. Just exterminate all the animals that could maybe knock down a child? FFS...

This is the problem. Human thinking is the problem. "We're the most important species and everything that could hurt us must be shot on sight."
You didn't answer any of my questions, probably because you don't have an answer.
The thing about deer roaming through cities during rutting season is interesting though. So which cities are those? Try not to dodge this question please.

Not sure if serious.
Yes i am serious. What about you?

He's deadly serious, sadly. Won't somebody think of the children and elderly, constantly being terrorised and brutalised by those awful white deer.
Nice hyperbole.

Soldato
It would be easy for us to "lock it in". Tha main concern is if the animal feels like it is trapped it may start fighting to get out.

the area i looked at we were talking brick walls and those heavy industrial fences, can't see it getting out that easily, at least short-term. big enough area too so hopefully enough space for it to not feel too hemmed in.

that said i am assuming it's the big estate at the end of the street and not somewhere else they had it.

Back
Top Bottom