New World MMO

Associate
330,632 - in game playing
477,201 - In que waiting to play

There needs to be way more servers than this, they know how many they sold they knew the numbers from betas etc.
I'm sure they also know the average rate of decline in playerbase of games like this and have forecast the stable player count that's yet to come and set up a suitable amount of servers to manage that and not the initial launch swell.

Soldato
(most likely Pantheon).
Pantheon will never release, and even it by some miracle it ever does it will be exploited to hell and back in the first few days.

On to new world, does it actually have an end game at release? Multiple dungeons/raids and the like? Last time I did any sort of deep dive was before they switched up direction and started adding pve.

Hope folks have fun regardless, mmo launches are usually great fun for a few days.

Man of Honour
I do find it strange that it's max 2k players per server seems a huge oversight.

and then you have queues of 8-15k trying to get into a server that can only hold 2k max players anyway.

The gameworld is pretty small by MMO standards, any more than a few thousand on the server and it would be like trying to play a Call of Duty map with 3000 players on it :D

Man of Honour
Pantheon will never release, and even it by some miracle it ever does it will be exploited to hell and back in the first few days.

On to new world, does it actually have an end game at release? Multiple dungeons/raids and the like? Last time I did any sort of deep dive was before they switched up direction and started adding pve.

Hope folks have fun regardless, mmo launches are usually great fun for a few days.

I've been in the prealpha for Pantheon for 4 years, I'm still confident :)

Would be interested to know why you think it will never release and why you think it would be exploited, thats perhaps for another thread though.

Associate
The gameworld is pretty small by MMO standards, any more than a few thousand on the server and it would be like trying to play a Call of Duty map with 3000 players on it :D

That is a good point, and I assume 2k is a good number for world PvP too, just a bit of a mismanagement on servers I suppose :D but people who are playing are at least playing without lag so that is good.

Man of Honour
That is a good point, and I assume 2k is a good number for world PvP too, just a bit of a mismanagement on servers I suppose :D but people who are playing are at least playing without lag so that is good.

3000 on a server would make sense, as there are 3 factions, as that would then allow 1000 players per faction. However, my question would be whether there is any faction balancing regarding logins, for example will faction logins be limited to 1000 per faction, meaning that if you have 1000 Covenant players already logged in, you cant log in until a gap opens. Or are they not going to limit logins on a per faction basis meaning that you might get 2000 Covenant players logged in and the other 2 factions can only have 500 each before it hits the 3000 cap, meaning that players in those two factions are outnumbered 4 to 1 that day. Questions, questions !

(all stuff which probably should have been explained prior to release to be fair)

Soldato
Eesh, looking at this I may be cancelling my days off on Thursday/Friday which were reserved to play this. The queues are magnitudes worse than when classic wow was released.

I'm surprised even Amazon are unable to get this type of thing right.

Man of Honour
Ah, I see that they have actually tweeted that there is currently no plans to increase the 2000 server capacity and that they will just be adding new servers instead at this time.

Man of Honour
but not exactly surprising for an MMO launch.

Not surprising but I'm not one to give people a free pass because of that. The whole point of others doing something before you is that you learn from the mistakes and issues they encounter so that you can avoid it yourself. Thats called Progress. I see so many people when an MMO launches saying stuff like "stop moaning, have you never been at an MMO launch before", but imo thats a total copout thing to say. You have examples of what worked and what didnt work before, use those examples, learn from them and avoid the same pitfalls, not just repeat their mistakes and shrug your shoulders and say well, thats the norm so its ok.

What was that Einstein saying.. "The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

Its a real shame because there's quite a few people in this thread alone who have mentioned ways things could have been done to counter some of the issues today and we're not even in game design (as far as I'm aware, apologies if anyone in the thread is) , just a real pity that more ways to reduce the issues weren't considered/implemented.

Associate
No one is going to jump to a new server, after leaving up. To me it is p I s s poor management.

Plenty will if they want to avoid queues and have no real reason to play a particular server.

MMO launches are always a balancing act between IT resources (capital investment) and players. As has been mentioned there's a initial cap of 2000 player per 'server'...there's 640K people either playing or queued right now which would mean we would need over 320 'servers' to satisfy current demand. We're probably not talking about a single machine operating an entire server so that's a lot of kit even for Amazon to have just lying around to deal with a peak player count.

HRL

HRL

Soldato
Not sure how I missed this game but is it a bit like Destiny 2 but set in a fantasy world instead?

Looking for something to sink my teeth into and wondering if this might be it. Trailer and screenshots look interesting at least.

Associate
Not sure how I missed this game but is it a bit like Destiny 2 but set in a fantasy world instead?

Looking for something to sink my teeth into and wondering if this might be it. Trailer and screenshots look interesting at least.

It's nothing like Destiny 2, but its an enjoyable game. Think MMO with lots of gathering and crafting, average combat and end game mass pvp and also some PVE dungeons and world raids.

Man of Honour
Good god, there are 97,000 people watching Asmongold on New World...and he isnt even in the game, he is 10,000 in a queue ! 97,000 people. Thats insane numbers. He could literally fill Wembley Stadium lol

Soldato
Didn't he pull over 200k for both the wow classic launch and when he started FFXIV. Silly numbers true, and i still don't understand his need to tell people the server he is starting off on either, whenever he goes folks will roll there to either grief him or be part of the circus, make his char off screen and then say, be a much quicker logon experience for him.

Man of Honour
Didn't he pull over 200k for both the wow classic launch and when he started FFXIV. Silly numbers true, and i still don't understand his need to tell people the server he is starting off on either, whenever he goes folks will roll there to either grief him or be part of the circus, make his char off screen and then say, be a much quicker logon experience for him.

I for one certainly wouldnt want to be on any server he is on, not with that much of a horde of people following him round, would be an absolute nightmare.

Back
Top Bottom