Poll: *** The official 2021 iPad mini thread (it has a USB-C port and everything!) ***

New 2021 iPad mini - Are you getting one?

• Yes, yes I am.

Votes: 12 36.4%
  • Nope, not this time.

Votes: 21 63.6%

• Total voters
Associate
Is there expected to be walk-in stock of iPad Mini's on Friday?

I now want one one, but naturally shipping times have slipped. Away for a work trip from Sunday onwards so wanted to take it on the road and give it a spin.

However, it looks like it's not available from any of the London based stores (save a few). Does extra stock open up on the floor during launch days?

Deleted member 209350

D

Deleted member 209350

USB-C here and still not on the iphones, unbelievable.

Apple's ipad lineup looking pretty good and sleek now, 1 for every situation

Soldato
Is there expected to be walk-in stock of iPad Mini's on Friday?

I now want one one, but naturally shipping times have slipped. Away for a work trip from Sunday onwards so wanted to take it on the road and give it a spin.

However, it looks like it's not available from any of the London based stores (save a few). Does extra stock open up on the floor during launch days?

I doubt it will be selling like hot cakes on the day. I'm planning pick up on Friday instore.

USB-C here and still not on the iphones, unbelievable.

Because Apple have spent so much time and effort developing the Lightning port, they are not dropping it yet for it to be on iPhones. They would loose crap loads of money in their echo system and they want to lock people in.

Last edited:
Associate
Tried to walk into White City/Westfield London Apple Store this morning to get one...

A decent queue outside the store, with staff getting everyone to check if they had a reservation. Plus... almost no iPad Mini's actually in stock (just a couple of top spec ones that I don't want).

But the hands on was positive for me at least.

So I bought a 64gb wifi model off Amazon, should be coming tomorrow.

Associate
Oh dear… just set up my mini and I can see the dreaded Jelly scroll effect is pretty strong. I get that it might be an inherent limitation of screen technologies but it’s a bit rough for sure.

I’ll see how I get on with it over the next week or so. Perhaps Apple will release a statement about what’s going on.

apart from that (it is a pretty major issue tho) a super nice device overall. ProMotion I think has to be the next upgrade I think, I think its the only bit lacking for the perfect experience.

Soldato
Oh dear… just set up my mini and I can see the dreaded Jelly scroll effect is pretty strong. I get that it might be an inherent limitation of screen technologies but it’s a bit rough for sure.

I’ll see how I get on with it over the next week or so. Perhaps Apple will release a statement about what’s going on.

apart from that (it is a pretty major issue tho) a super nice device overall. ProMotion I think has to be the next upgrade I think, I think its the only bit lacking for the perfect experience.

Strange, i dont see the Jelly scroll effect on mine.

Associate
Strange, i dont see the Jelly scroll effect on mine.

I can see it even on these forums. But it’s super obvious on clean text, try going to something like BBC News and activating reader mode on an article, then scroll up and down. Remember, it’s in portrait orientation that this is an issue.

but to be fair I’ve been using this for a day now and do think I’ll keep it. It’s a great device.

Soldato
I think saying that the mini is too expensive is a bit harsh… it’s still a solid package on its own and can fit in a coat pocket. For many people it’s worth the price of admission for that alone.

Next to the iPhone 13 Pro Max, the Ipad mini 5G is a bargain. Ok the chip is slightly downclocked but its not clear whether you will be able to see the difference on the screen.

Associate
I really want the iPad mini but do you think Apple will do something about this scrolling thing? Or is just people making a big deal out of it?

Personally I am finding overall that using the mini is a positive experience, even though I have the jelly scroll.

Either I haven’t gotten used to it a bit more, or I just don’t seem to vertically scroll in this kind of manner enough to annoy me as much as I thought it would be after first seeing it.

It also seems like a lot of devices have historically had it as well, just perhaps not in this orientation.

Soldato
Personally I am finding overall that using the mini is a positive experience, even though I have the jelly scroll.

Either I haven’t gotten used to it a bit more, or I just don’t seem to vertically scroll in this kind of manner enough to annoy me as much as I thought it would be after first seeing it.

It also seems like a lot of devices have historically had it as well, just perhaps not in this orientation.

Thanks appreciate the response and glad you are happy with it. :)

Don
Having looked at one of these today, it begs the question; why doesn't Apple just allow it to make phonecalls and behave as a phone?
I wouldn't have an issue using a device of this size as my main device. As it stands, I'd still need to take my Phone with me if I got one which kind of negates the usefulness of the size.

Soldato
If you were on EE and you have a 5G version of the iPad you should be able to do just that as they support WiFi Calling via iCloud.

Your phone can literally be switched off and still make calls.

Back
Top Bottom