Thinking of buy a VW Scirocco

Honestly golf in a pretty frock is a TT not a scirocco

The negative with the TT in that comparison is its a 2+2 really. And the +2 need to be really small

It uses the same platform as many of the VW group cars, including the Golf MK7
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volkswagen_Group_MQB_platform

They also did a 2.0TDi lump for a while if you need diesel

Soldato
They are all a golf lol

If you want a golf, get a golf. But some (most) generations are a bit poo. They ride on the reputation of the early ones which were actually pretty fun to drive. They have been diluted a lot since then.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I like the front of the Scirocco but the back looks like they ran out of ideas and I wouldn't spend anywhere near £20K on one. Albeit MPG will be meh but you could get a pretty tidy Nissan 350Z in that budget albeit not automatic.

Soldato

The negative with the TT in that comparison is its a 2+2 really. And the +2 need to be really small

anyone who intentionally drives a DIESEL TT should be slapped. Preferably with a very large wet fish. Why on earth anyone would spend the money on a TT in diesel form is completely beyond me.

Associate
Have you thought about the Volvo C30? This with a mild remap?

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202109097157831?atmobcid=soc3

OP doesn't want a Golf because they're not as sexy as a Scirocco.

Your car looks like this:
683ba8ab0db5476f93cb63275b514984.jpg

Which ain't too far from a Nissan Micra rear end:

h5ipo8ow5gsfw2r8mo8l4n8oxsvq5n0x.jpg

Pretty obvious he'll decline :D

Man of Honour
OP
Peugeot RCZ? Ended production in 2015 but is a bit different, the 200bhp 1.6 petrol is probably worth a look (claimed mpg of 42 - although a diesel does exist too if the petrol is too thirsty).

Not something i'd spend £20k on though, i'd be expecting to pick one up a good bit cheaper than that.

The Scirroco does occupy a bit of a niche market, which is probably how VW got away with selling a 2004 platform car for so long - nobody else really makes a 'Golf in a dress' type car - something that's as good at being 'a car' as a Golf is but looks different and isn't as common.

Looks a bit too much like an Audi TT, which I don't like.

I'd take the advice of others in the thread and maybe look at a golf gtd

It's certainly looking like a better option and I probably knew that all along.

Audi TT isn't for me, which I did say in my original post.

How many miles are you doing that forces the requirement to be Diesel?

With a 20k budget and a preference to VW, then a Golf GTE is probably as good an option as any

Probably around 10-12k a year.

Diesel isn't set in stone. But a 2.0 litre diesel seems to be the best compromise between economy and performance for my needs.

I looked at them back when they were in production and could couldn't justify the compromises over the golf - they are pretty much the same dimensions but with much less internal space and no noticeable weight gains or handing improvements, all form over function & once your actually driving it you just get worse visibility and a very slightly different bonnet.

If you want something fun just get an mx-5 and be done with it - 20k will get you a very decent example and it'll be so much better to drive :)

If my wife's child transportation needs weren't a consideration, then that's the sort car I'd be looking at.

Soldato
Why would anyone buy a TT at all, you can get a real sports car for the money which won't understeer everywhere :p

I can confirm they understeer, even more so in wet conditions.

One evening my girlfriend was driving and we had an Audi TT behind us driving rather aggressively (Despite her ever so slightly exceeding the 30mph limit) he decided overtake us (I won’t say whether or not she increased her speed as he attempted the overtake) and the lights went Amber he heavy braked and realised he wasn’t going to stop so continued through only to completely understeer through the fairly sharp corner up onto a double kerb/central reservation leaving his bumper road side and a wheel hanging off.

I leaned across as we passed and gave him a couple of smug half beeps.

If the dashcam footage saved it would come under some instant karma compilation :p

It was the 3.2 V6 too.

Soldato
Back when it released in 2008 up against the then current Mk6 golf it was perfectly comparable. The Golf didn't really become measurably better until the Mk7 released around 5 years later.

One of my friends had a Scirocco (200bhp 2.0 petrol) which I drove a few times and it's really good. Better to drive than the Golf GTi of that era IMO and priced very similarly. Looks way better than the TT IMO and a bit rarer.

I'd strongly recommend going for the 200bhp 2.0 petrol if you can. Or maybe the 120bho 1.4 turbo petrol if fuel economy is important. Buying a coupe with a diesel engine is a crime IMO :D

Avoid the 160bhp twincharger engine though as by all accounts they're prone to issues.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Man of Honour
I owned a mk2 Scirocco, so was very curious about the "new" Scirocco back in 2008.
Have to say that I found it a bit lacklustre and rather "underwhelming". Just didn't seem anything special.

Associate

Was just about to post the same suggestion, but I'm biased because I've got one. Economy wise I'm aware OP said 45 to 60 mpg, which would be very optimistic for an FK2 unless pootling along the motorway at 65mph in 6th gear (unbelievably you can get the best part of 50mpg in this scenario, done it many times), but round town or spirited driving it is much lower.

But.......they are so much fun to drive, many peeps won't like the divisive looks though.

Would satisfy the rare car criteria, there are only about 2500 of these on the UK roads.

Don
Probably around 10-12k a year.

Diesel isn't set in stone. But a 2.0 litre diesel seems to be the best compromise between economy and performance for my needs.

At 10-12k the difference between 35mpg and 50mpg is hardly going to be backrupting, and opens up the door to a lot of "sporty" or less common cars.

A decent gt86 would be in budget, isn't exactly common and will be a much sportier car to drive than an "old" golf based scirroco

Soldato
I can confirm they understeer, even more so in wet conditions.

One evening my girlfriend was driving and we had an Audi TT behind us driving rather aggressively (Despite her ever so slightly exceeding the 30mph limit) he decided overtake us (I won’t say whether or not she increased her speed as he attempted the overtake) and the lights went Amber he heavy braked and realised he wasn’t going to stop so continued through only to completely understeer through the fairly sharp corner up onto a double kerb/central reservation leaving his bumper road side and a wheel hanging off.

I leaned across as we passed and gave him a couple of smug half beeps.

If the dashcam footage saved it would come under some instant karma compilation :p

It was the 3.2 V6 too.

A hangover from the Golf is the engine is very far forward, which doesn't provide balanced handling. It's way too nose heavy. Fine for Barry in a hatchback who just wants to floor it at traffic lights, but not a proper sports car.

Last edited:
Soldato
Alfa? Could squeeze to a Giulia (think both the 200 and 280bhp versions official mpg is >40mpg although obviously less IRL) for under £20k and I've only ever seen one on the road.

I think this is a genuinely great suggestion. Great looking car and you might just about get a veloce petrol. Plenty of diseasels under £20k to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom