Standard of driving in the UK going downhill.

Caporegime
I'd have thought hps whether it's phone/car/harmon should be pretty accurate as it's referenced to multiple satellites.

it is but only to 3m and its really measuring how far you have gone in a certain time to get your mph and that can be 3m out at the start and 3m out at the end so it thinks you have gone 6m further than you really have.

Soldato
GPS is accurate on a straight road, doing a constant speed...on the level, not going up or down hill

not going to be as accurate as a properly calibrated speedo but most (all?) cars over-read since they're allowed to but can't under-read

GPS and a speedo in a properly calibrated truck would show the same

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

"Professional driver: someone who is paid to drive a vehicle."

Nothing there about needing some form of professional driving qualification.
By that logic, anyone on a business trip would be classified as a professional driver.

I think you’re being pedantic, because I wouldn’t class a cabby as a professional. Half of them are barely human :p

Caporegime
By that logic, anyone on a business trip would be classified as a professional driver.

I think you’re being pedantic, because I wouldn’t class a cabby as a professional. Half of them are barely human :p

No, someone on a business trip is being paid to do business and they are having to drive as part of that. They are not being paid to drive.

Soldato
it is but only to 3m and its really measuring how far you have gone in a certain time to get your mph and that can be 3m out at the start and 3m out at the end so it thinks you have gone 6m further than you really have.
6m at 70 mph isn't going to be much though is it? Still got to be more accurate than a speedo.

Caporegime
6m at 70 mph isn't going to be much though is it? Still got to be more accurate than a speedo.

70mph is 30m per sec. Reading your location wrong by 3m either way could lead to an error of potentially up to 10%. Gps might think you have only gone 27m in the last second or even 33m.

it averages out though and in testing is no more than 2% out.

Error is potentially bigger at lower speeds.

Soldato
70mph is 30m per sec. Reading your location wrong by 3m either way could lead to an error of potentially up to 10%. Gps might think you have only gone 27m in the last second or even 33m.

it averages out though and in testing is no more than 2% out.

Error is potentially bigger at lower speeds.
True. There's always going to be a tollerance, nothing can be 100% accurate.

Soldato
can be deceptive. my car needs to do 33mph to be actually doing 30mph as per the gps.
Not really my point though :p most cars' speedos are going to be fairly close if everyone drove at an indicated 30mph. It was just a point that sticking to the speed limit highlights how fast people are going on normal roads, not to mention how pathetically unable people are at holding a steady speed with their feet.

Caporegime
"Professional driver: someone who is paid to drive a vehicle."

Nothing there about needing some form of professional driving qualification.
You only become a professional in my game after a good number of years, despite 23 years in the game, I frequently learn something new, is that the case for other professionals? I don’t know.

I do know - the hard way - that holding the license does not give you the ability to do the job, equally, I know that some who’ve held the license for years are as clueless as someone yet to pass their test…..

Soldato
You only become a professional in my game after a good number of years, despite 23 years in the game, I frequently learn something new, is that the case for other professionals? I don’t know.

I do know - the hard way - that holding the license does not give you the ability to do the job, equally, I know that some who’ve held the license for years are as clueless as someone yet to pass their test…..
So you're saying I am already qualified........... brb getting a truck.

Man of Honour
can be deceptive. my car needs to do 33mph to be actually doing 30mph as per the gps.

There is a digital speed sign up at the moment on my way home it seems to match my speedo pretty closely and is slightly different to the GPS speed but only 1-2 MPH.

Interestingly couple of nights ago I saw just the tail-lights of a vehicle as it came into view and it was flashing up a red 90 something... (40MPH stretch).

Man of Honour
Just had someone push through where their side of the road was blocked by parked cars - normally I'm quite pragmatic about it but this time it was so blatant as I'd already committed to using the road - they did kind of half wave an apology but they plainly didn't give a ****.

Soldato
Just had someone push through where their side of the road was blocked by parked cars - normally I'm quite pragmatic about it but this time it was so blatant as I'd already committed to using the road - they did kind of half wave an apology but they plainly didn't give a ****.
I'm not sure either has priority with that though, I was under the impression it was first come first serve but iirc its a bit ambiguous.

Man of Honour
I'm not sure either has priority with that though, I was under the impression it was first come first serve but iirc its a bit ambiguous.

It is exactly the same as joining another road - though most treat it like first come first serve. If your lane is blocked you shouldn't enter the section if doing so would cause another vehicle [who is already on the road] to have to take action. Obviously in reality it is one of those situations a little pragmatism is needed.

Soldato
Now that people are blocking roads queuing for petrol, others have taken to bombing it down the wrong side of the road to get past them all. Then they get blocked and neither driver can reverse out of it :/

Back
Top Bottom