Childcare - Grandparents

Associate
Not sure where to post this but here seemed the best option. I'm hoping that this is a sinple answer but I have doubts about it not being.

Basically, can I pay a grandparent each month for childcare if they are not a registered childminder? If so, does someone have to pay tax and NI on that amount? The amount would be £436 each month.

Soldato
Not sure where to post this but here seemed the best option. I'm hoping that this is a sinple answer but I have doubts about it not being.

Basically, can I pay a grandparent each month for childcare if they are not a registered childminder? If so, does someone have to pay tax and NI on that amount? The amount would be £436 each month.
If their income stays below 12.5k.. no tax or NI.

You can pay the for doing anything you like.

If that's baby sitting then so be it.

But odd tho.. they are grand parents.

Soldato
If they aren't a registered childminder or nusery then you can't take advantage of the government tax free childcare scheme, if that's what you mean?

Associate
OP
Soldato
But odd tho.. they are grand parents.
Maybe they can't afford to not work, but would rather be a childminder for their grandkids. It's quite common for people to offered to pay a parent to quit another job (or go part time) and look after the kids instead. Unfortunately my parents live a bit too far away, but even though they were retired I'd certainly rather have paid them than a random childminder. Thankfully I found a great childminder who had known my kids since a very young age as she employed by the Montessori nursery they went to before she left to become a full time childminder.

Soldato
This is an agreed amount between us.

I wish I could do that.

I understand that I can't do that.
As already posted then. They'll only pay Tax/NI if you go through a lot of paperwork and get them to declare the income including pensions etc. they go above the tax free allowance.

They're family though, so I'd just gift it to them and not worry at all :confused:

mjt

mjt

Soldato
Or just don’t tell anyone??

If you’re not claiming it back, why would anyone say anything? Will your grandparents receive a visit from the tax man for £436 a month nobody knows about..? Unlikely

Soldato
Can u claim the childcare as a business expense if self employed?

After all... its an expense that must be had to be able to work.. lol

If so.. I'm claiming my tax back homiesssss

Soldato
If your trying to pay them with the money you get from the government for childcare then they would have to be registered childminders.

If your just paying them out of your pocket then who cares why mention it ?

Man of Honour
There’s probably some rhyme or reason to all this guyver about grandparents, babysitting and payment for same, but I freely admit that I can’t get my head around it.
I can’t imagine being paid for looking after my grandkids, but if my younger son wanted to work some moody on the tax man by asking me to say that he was paying us to watch his kids, I’d do it.
My elder son wouldn’t do it, he’s lived so long in Germany that he has a German mindset on obeying laws, he won’t even cross the road if the green CROSS NOW sign isn’t flashing.
The bottom line for me is, I love my grandkids so much, that I’d pay my kids to let me look after their kids.
It’s often said that the best thing about grandkids is that you get to give them back, I never wanted to give mine back, I’d have put them between two loaves of bread and ate them if I could.

Caporegime
"Thanks for looking after the kids granddad and grandma. I've left the cash on the table". Sorted.

This.

It must be so hard if you have kids and no support. Even if I lived near my family and had kids my parents couldn't look after them due to mums mental health.

Soldato
There’s probably some rhyme or reason to all this guyver about grandparents, babysitting and payment for same, but I freely admit that I can’t get my head around it.
I can’t imagine being paid for looking after my grandkids, but if my younger son wanted to work some moody on the tax man by asking me to say that he was paying us to watch his kids, I’d do it.
My elder son wouldn’t do it, he’s lived so long in Germany that he has a German mindset on obeying laws, he won’t even cross the road if the green CROSS NOW sign isn’t flashing.
The bottom line for me is, I love my grandkids so much, that I’d pay my kids to let me look after their kids.
It’s often said that the best thing about grandkids is that you get to give them back, I never wanted to give mine back, I’d have put them between two loaves of bread and ate them if I could.
I'm a dad of 2 young ones and one of my absolute favourite things about being a parent is seeing them interact with my mum and dad and it being a two way street of love and happiness. I'm very lucky they are both brilliant grandparents (and both of the in-laws are too). Good on you for being a good one.

Back
Top Bottom