Virgin Media Discussion Thread

Associate
I'm in Leicester and recently my connection has been awful.
I'm on 300mb service and several times a night the speed will take a dive bomb and be totally unusable. A router reboot will sometime fix it but last night after 5 reboots it was still shocking.

Associate
Question:
I am on contract with VM, big Oomph package, still 5-6 month until end of current, but moving to area that doesn't have VM coverage. There's only phone line based broadband in new place.
Have read I will still forced to pay penalty, but how it is calculated in real life words.. Their calculator is somehat confusing.
Contract start was on 26 September last year, 18 months, I will move before next renewal period, but not sure about cancellation periods and what that entiles..
How to speak to them re this ..?

Associate
Bit of an odd one - does anyone know if VM block inbound requests from Cloudflare to residential IPs? I self-host a few services and previously I've used DuckDNS to provide a domain name for my home IP. I've been trying to switch over to a custom DNS name managed via Cloudflare, but when I add an A record in CF that points to my home IP address all I get is 523 errors - in other words, the connection from clients to CF works fine, but the connection from CF down to my IP does not. My first thought is that VM blocks the proxied requests from CF onto their network - does anyone know if this is the case or not?

Permabanned
Question:
I am on contract with VM, big Oomph package, still 5-6 month until end of current, but moving to area that doesn't have VM coverage. There's only phone line based broadband in new place.
Have read I will still forced to pay penalty, but how it is calculated in real life words.. Their calculator is somehat confusing.
Contract start was on 26 September last year, 18 months, I will move before next renewal period, but not sure about cancellation periods and what that entiles..
How to speak to them re this ..?

Just go on web chat, probably easiest.

Soldato
Bit of an odd one - does anyone know if VM block inbound requests from Cloudflare to residential IPs? I self-host a few services and previously I've used DuckDNS to provide a domain name for my home IP. I've been trying to switch over to a custom DNS name managed via Cloudflare, but when I add an A record in CF that points to my home IP address all I get is 523 errors - in other words, the connection from clients to CF works fine, but the connection from CF down to my IP does not. My first thought is that VM blocks the proxied requests from CF onto their network - does anyone know if this is the case or not?

I have all my self-hosted services behind nginx, using my domain on CF without issues. You've not given much to go on regards how you've set it up, but double check your IP, router settings (allowing inbound connections on the required ports, DNAT etc), and possibly whitelisting CF's IPs under nginx or similar (authorized proxy IPs).

Edit: Oh, and certificates. Are you using LetsEncrypt or other? You need to set it up under SSL/TLS in CF and choose an encryption mode.

Associate
I have all my self-hosted services behind nginx, using my domain on CF without issues. You've not given much to go on regards how you've set it up, but double check your IP, router settings (allowing inbound connections on the required ports, DNAT etc), and possibly whitelisting CF's IPs under nginx or similar (authorized proxy IPs).

Edit: Oh, and certificates. Are you using LetsEncrypt or other? You need to set it up under SSL/TLS in CF and choose an encryption mode.

I was being intentionally vague out of an over-abundance of caution :) But to answer your question all of the above is configured correctly as far as I can tell, as in it works when I connect in via my existing DuckDNS-managed domain. But when I try to access things via the Cloudflare-managed DNS name, I don't get anything - not even a rejected request on my end, it's like the traffic is blocked before it hits my IP. I'm handling TLS termination within my network using cert-manager so I'm not using Cloudflare's TLS capabilities.

If it works for you I assume it's not a VM policy blocking the traffic, so I'll run it through CF support and see what they have to say.

Soldato
I was being intentionally vague out of an over-abundance of caution :) But to answer your question all of the above is configured correctly as far as I can tell, as in it works when I connect in via my existing DuckDNS-managed domain. But when I try to access things via the Cloudflare-managed DNS name, I don't get anything - not even a rejected request on my end, it's like the traffic is blocked before it hits my IP. I'm handling TLS termination within my network using cert-manager so I'm not using Cloudflare's TLS capabilities.

If it works for you I assume it's not a VM policy blocking the traffic, so I'll run it through CF support and see what they have to say.

It's a public facing server, there's not much to hide as it'll be getting scanned by every bot on the Internet every few seconds anyway. It's hard to help if we don't know what we're helping with. To answer the crux of your question; no, VM certainly don't block Cloudflare. CF community support is an idea (assuming you've not paid for actual support), but you'll face the same issue there as well unless you list and document everything.

What's your meaning in differentiating the DuckDNS domain (self explanatory) and 'Cloudflare DNS name'? What exactly are you doing (or trying to do)?

Have you actually purchased a domain name?
AFAIK you can only use DuckDNS with their own subdomain (yourname.duckdns.org), and they control the NS and DNS - that being the entire point of their service. You wouldn't be able to host a DuckDNS subdomain under CF as you can't change the domain's nameservers - you don't own the domain, duckdns.org does.

Are you saying that you have DuckDNS set up, and that lets you access your self hosted servers/services fine, but when you try your domain address (set up through CF) it doesn't work? More details needed if you want a hand.

It should be as simple as:

Set your domain itself to point to the two nameservers CF gave you (and/or have CF manage the domain as well).
Set a DNS A record in CF (plus whatever else you might need) and point it to the VM IP. Include domain.com and www.domain.com (unless you have other interesting set up).
???
Profit.

Have you tried using a service like YouGetSignal to test whether the ports/services are open and available to others online? Feel free to post the domain here and I'll have a try for you, if you tell me what services you have open to the Internet (SSH, HTTP, HTTPS, other?).

Associate
It should be as simple as:

Set your domain itself to point to the two nameservers CF gave you (and/or have CF manage the domain as well).
Set a DNS A record in CF (plus whatever else you might need) and point it to the VM IP. Include domain.com and www.domain.com (unless you have other interesting set up).
???
Profit.

Have you tried using a service like YouGetSignal to test whether the ports/services are open and available to others online? Feel free to post the domain here and I'll have a try for you, if you tell me what services you have open to the Internet (SSH, HTTP, HTTPS, other?).
I think you're overthinking what I'm posting.

Right now, as I said, I have my service running and accessible via "service.duckdns.org", complete with TLS. It's working perfectly and has been for a long time now, so I'm confident this is not a problem with my firewall, NAT, TLS or anything like that. I've bought a new domain name, and all I want to do is point my new domain name at my existing, working service so that it's accessible via "service.newdomain.com". newdomain.com is managed by Cloudflare DNS, and if I add an A record to point that domain towards some of my cloud-hosted services (in Azure and OCI), it works fine and I can access them. However, if I change the A record to point to my VM address, no traffic at all is routed from Cloudflare to my router - all I get is Cloudflare's error page saying that my browser is working, Cloudflare's server is working, but my host has a 523 error. There's nothing at all appearing in my network traffic logs when I try to access "service.newdomain.com", it's like that packets just aren't hitting my router at all - hence my question about whether VM block CF.

Assuming they don't, as you say it works fine for you, either VM blocks something specific to me or my location (which I've come across before) or there is something wrong on the Cloudflare side, which I need to take up with them.

Associate
I think you're overthinking what I'm posting.

Sounds like you just need to take your troubleshooting back to basics . If you have access to external servers do some external nmaps and internal wireshark captures if you want to prove the port is open, closed or filtered.

Or you could swap over to argo tunnel and not expose any ports.

Soldato

On the off chance you are still waiting with baited breath for someone to answer and haven’t just called them and asked…

It’s a long time since I had anything to do with contract termination charges, so this may have changed, but from an auditing perspective it used to be 30 days notice and then any additional contracted period at the minimum charge for each service. So for example if you disconnect and have 3 months left on your contract after the disconnection/notice period and are on £50/m broadband, but the cheapest retail service was £10/m, you would be billed 3x£10 on your final bill and not 3x£50. Same story for TV/phone etc.

Soldato
I'm in Leicester and recently my connection has been awful.
I'm on 300mb service and several times a night the speed will take a dive bomb and be totally unusable. A router reboot will sometime fix it but last night after 5 reboots it was still shocking.
Ditch the router and turn it into a Modem, use a different brand for the router function like TP-Link Deco M4. I did this to mine after it started to do exactly the same thing as yours. Since switching, i've never lost connection and the wifi signal through the house is perfect. I have the main deco downstairs and another unit upstairs for seamless mesh.

Associate
On the off chance you are still waiting with baited breath for someone to answer and haven’t just called them and asked…

It’s a long time since I had anything to do with contract termination charges, so this may have changed, but from an auditing perspective it used to be 30 days notice and then any additional contracted period at the minimum charge for each service. So for example if you disconnect and have 3 months left on your contract after the disconnection/notice period and are on £50/m broadband, but the cheapest retail service was £10/m, you would be billed 3x£10 on your final bill and not 3x£50. Same story for TV/phone etc.

Seems a bit overkill just for a simple networking issue...unless you meant to quote someone else?

Associate

No, haven't called them, still haven't signed let agreement, so there's no point stirring pot.
I am on 600MB fibre, so hope for best, but prepare for 5x 80.... we'll see

Thanks for hope thou :)

Associate
Ditch the router and turn it into a Modem, use a different brand for the router function like TP-Link Deco M4. I did this to mine after it started to do exactly the same thing as yours. Since switching, i've never lost connection and the wifi signal through the house is perfect. I have the main deco downstairs and another unit upstairs for seamless mesh.

Thanks for the tips, appreciate it but I already am using it in modem mode with an asus AC68, which was working perfectly.

I actually got VM out to check the line on Tuesday, they replaced everything and it's back to a rock solid service.

Associate
having issues with my vm 350 connection, keeps dropping and losing packets. Basicaly un-useable on several nights after 9:30 pm. Only game i play is wow TBC classic and it just lags out and i get disconected. Ran the "online" test thing and it said there was a problem with the line few weeks back, then was ok for a few days and then tonight its gone to crap again, but not saying there is a problem on the test. Run a packet loss test online and seems to be 50/50 some times it will lose up to 35% of packets on some tests. Never had a problem before in 3 years until the last few weeks. Nottinghamshire area.

took 3 attempts to post this message.... its that bad.

Also while mining, i keep getting lost connection to server, reconnecting in 1 second. Happens every 30-40 seconds or so.

Just noticed under internet on home hub overview it says "partial service (US only)" ? im in the uk?

Unless US means upstream?

Last edited:
Soldato
having issues with my vm 350 connection, keeps dropping and losing packets. Basicaly un-useable on several nights after 9:30 pm. Only game i play is wow TBC classic and it just lags out and i get disconected. Ran the "online" test thing and it said there was a problem with the line few weeks back, then was ok for a few days and then tonight its gone to crap again, but not saying there is a problem on the test. Run a packet loss test online and seems to be 50/50 some times it will lose up to 35% of packets on some tests. Never had a problem before in 3 years until the last few weeks. Nottinghamshire area.

took 3 attempts to post this message.... its that bad.

Also while mining, i keep getting lost connection to server, reconnecting in 1 second. Happens every 30-40 seconds or so.

Just noticed under internet on home hub overview it says "partial service (US only)" ? im in the uk?

Unless US means upstream?
Looking on my SH3 it says Internet (Online)

Back
Top Bottom