*** Microsoft Windows 11 Thoughts & Discussion Thread ***

Man of Honour
:D I've created the USB media using the script linked earlier. The installer mentions nothing about preview or anything so am assuming this is the release version. I have not done an upgrade yet though as holding off because I have wedding production work to finish before mucking around with an OS upgrade!

Soldato
So I like the change to UX at a high level, I just wish they would’ve continued to iterate on win 10 and update all of the old components individually. Widgets feels very vista.

Man of Honour
The UX appears to still be naff. They have improved some things like rounded corners on windows/dialogues....But dark mode is still useless after all these years. Windows are dark sure but dialogue boxes like file transfer boxes are still light so when you have multiple explorer windows open and copy files between places you suddenly get blinded by a bright transfer dialogue... Doesn't make sense. Settings windows are also not dark themed still.

I imagine there will be an update roll-up that is geared just on the Theme/UX though as am sure have seen in the past MS talk and/or show a new UX entirely which looked rather cool and sounded promising.

Associate
I'm all for anti-cheating - but sadly for the most part the only effective way to do it is a game having robust ability to kick/ban players, community ran servers with good administration and the tools to monitor players to help admins/moderators make good decisions on who is most likely cheating rather than a good player, etc. including basic stuff like spectator mode.

The amount of money and resources thrown at cheating any other approach is doomed to either failure or not work great either reducing the appeal of the game due to the restrictions even if you keep most cheaters out or just worked around by the hackers.

Problem with stuff like TPM is acts as much as a barrier between you and your software as it provides you with security from other people or malicious software and there are other ways to protect you from other people or malicious software without also having the features there which provide an additional wall, controlled by a 3rd party, between you and your software.

I 100% agree that it didn't work 20 years ago, I also agree to an extent for some games good mods/admins work and help. I am as unsettled with the whole TPM idea as many people here and elsewhere are. But I may be being biased in saying that and I just hold my hands up and give in now because I don't play games any more. I just feel browbeaten with the whole thing, and although I use Linux in many use cases I wouldn't change to it full time even though I love using it to do a lot of testing and administration, I see it more as a work tool. Like I said, it just takes me right back. I was also sad to learn today that clanbase has give up the ghost, our clan was top of the league back when for a little while!

Man of Honour
Just tried the drag object to taskbar to swap to the programs you want to open it with, and it didn't work either for me. Good grief why are they getting rid of basic useful things like that ... its a perfect interaction for touch movement as well.

Because like a lot of software development these days it is being done by plonkers who are filling a seat as a job/career and not actually interested in making the product they are developing the best it can be. Tick off feature as quickly as possible move on.

The end user is a product and there is little no interest in what the end user actually wants or quality of life experience, etc. and they hide themselves away from any feedback which doesn't align with what they want to hear.

Associate
Updated my main Windows 10 retail version to the hopefully RTM Windows 11 and so far everything seems just fine.

My 8gadgetpack is still working great for my little Vista type side bar widgets and the maker of startisback is doing a Windows 11 version which is still in testing but works great. Get to use the left click for the Window 7 menu, wheel button for the Windows 11 menu and it restores the right click taskbar menu, allows me to use the Windows 10 explorer ribbon and even gives me the option built in to disable that stupid new Windows 11 basic context menu on folders :D

Even able to have the taskbar folders/programs show individually as named folders/programs and not combined into a single icon, hate that feature.

If anyone uses startisback it's available here for the 11 version.

http://startisback.com/tbd/

Back
Top Bottom