Deathloop - from the people behind Dishonored and Prey

Soldato
Just dipped back into this game today and it sort of clicked and I got sucked into it for 4 hours.

I still have very little idea what I'm doing but I've unlocked a few weapons and slabs. Getting shift really makes things a bit easier to navigate but I haven't had a chance to use nexus just yet.

Going to put a few more hours into it tomorrow and see what other secrets I can unlock

Associate
Can anyone assist ? I try to launch the game in Steam but nothing happens ? It worked fine yesterday

Edit: Restarted PC works fine now.

I had 2 slabs infused, defeated another visionary and then I had to drop one of the slabs to pick up the new one. I thought you could have multiple slabs ? It seems I could only have two

Last edited:
Soldato
What's the average time to complete this game? I'm 12 hours in but not even close to finishing it but I can't work out if that's because I suck or if I'm on target.

Juliana (AI) battered me last night. Came at me with the Havoc slab and I did not have the right weapons to take her on. She came at me again the following cycle but not with Havoc and I managed to get my revenge. Any tips for taking her on when she has Havoc?

Tried to get the Havoc slab twice last night and both times, I got blown up :p

Soldato
What's the average time to complete this game? I'm 12 hours in but not even close to finishing it but I can't work out if that's because I suck or if I'm on target.
I am at 23 hours and doing (hopefully) the last loop.

I did ignore some optional "sidemissions" though.

Soldato
Juliana came at me with Havoc again earlier. Turns out having a shotgun with stopping power on made very light work of her!
It seems each time I play this game I start to love it that little bit more. It's fantastic.

*edit* Is there anyone playing this with HDR and finding it really dark in some levels, especially when it comes to sneaking around in shadows? Tempted to switch it off as it's causing me problems with not being able to see some things at times

Last edited:
Soldato
Decided that after failng to get Crysis 2 to run smoothly I decided to buy this.
Any useful tweaks, graphical or otherwise before I begin?

Last edited:
Soldato
Finished the game yesterday.

I don't get the rave 10/10 MASTAHPIECE! reviews. I just don't, sorry.

Even putting aside the terrible technical state (random stutters as documented by DF, random crashes, sometimes after hour of gameplay with no possible save...) that makes Cyberpunk look polished, this is...a good game, yes, but a weak game by Arkane standards.

First off, while the level design is fairly good and it is cool to see locations change during times of day, in the end you still have just 4 locations you go to over and over, defeating same enemies over and over. It becomes stale before the end, and that's despite this being shortest Arkane game (took me 26 hours of very methodical play, while I spent over 50 in Dishonored 2 and 42 in Prey).

The voice acting is good - both Colt and Juliana have charisma and some chemistry, but it is let down by the writing, which is juvenile and often just...doesn't make a lot of sense.

There are no WOW THIS IS GENIUS moments like there were in Dishonored 2 (Crack in the Slab, Clockwork mansion) or Prey.

The game lacks the distinct strong atmosphere of previous Arkane outings, Blackreef is just kind of...nondescript as far as videogame environments go. And the game feels super formulaic with its constant going back into the tunnels, seeing the same screens and hearing the same music over and over.

And the endings were unsatisfying as hell, all three of them. That was the last chance the game had to make me go away from it feeling great about it, but it failed.

Having said all that negative stuff, I would still give Deathloop a solid, above average, 7/10. It has a decent hook, the gameplay is quite fun for a while, and it does have those Arkane immersive sim mechanics I like, even if it leans more into being a shooter.

Anyway..with Raf gone and Deathloop being the result of him being gone, and with Arkane's next game being an attempts at making their take on Borderlands, I am not exactly super optimistic about the future when it comes to this studio. Which sucks, since Dishonored 1/2 and Prey are among my favourite games of all time. I bought Deathloop at launch pretty much purely on my love for those games.

Soldato
Just started this and am not so sure, just tried to do something with a crank wheel but when I opened the tube for the Residium Experiment although there was something sparkling I could not pick it up and take it to the other machine to complete the experiment.
Bit too much wandering aound wondering what to do.

Associate
Just started this and am not so sure, just tried to do something with a crank wheel but when I opened the tube for the Residium Experiment although there was something sparkling I could not pick it up and take it to the other machine to complete the experiment.
Bit too much wandering aound wondering what to do.
You probably arrived too late in the day

Soldato
Exactly what I said. Unless it's actually a bug of some kind, you have to go there before the container is removed.
I seem to remember it still glittering later on but the actual canister being gone
Hmm, I think the cannister was there but I could not pick it up, so I shot and something broke and was scattered on the floor but the sparkling was still there.
But who would remove the container if I needed the crank to open the machine anyway?

D3K

D3K

Soldato
It becomes stale before the end,
This is where I'm at right now. I have lost any sense of mystery and intrigue. For progression, I'm left with cycling through the different doors that the generators open and I cba. I loaded it up last night with the intent to just soldier on, went there, got spotted once by someone, alarms went off very quickly after, and I just alt + F4'd.

It started off with me thinking the game was genius, a novel way to story tell and play, but the excitement just fell off a cliff at one point. Partially down to the harsh reality that it's very linear, and partially down to the repetition.

I have to wonder if the 10/10 reviewers completed it.

Soldato
I have no idea why but Fia keeps evading me. I keep being clumsy and getting caught when I get super close to her. Rather frustrating. Almost finished all the other leads

Soldato
Fair play to you guys that have finished this game, I have been playing it for a couple of hours and really have not got a clue what I am doing.
Seems I need to go back to the safe which will give you an idea how far in I am.
Should have got a refund.

Soldato
I think I'm quite close to finishing it. Got all the leads on most visionaries now I think

@Kronos - that's how I felt then suddenly it clicked. I'm still a bit confused but I now understand the game loop

Edit: Just completed it. Was very confusing but once I got a few powers and got into it I was hooked. Not sure I'll play through it again immediately but it's one of my favourite recent games

Last edited:
Soldato
Got myself a sniper weapon yesterday but did not realise that it was necessary to infuse it to keep it so its gone.
How do I get another one?
I thought you could drop an infused weapon and then go back for it, well that didn't work.
Hope Farcry 6 is released this weak so I get rid of the most frustrating game I have ever played.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom