Films you enjoyed but then disliked on second viewing.

Caporegime
Always find it interesting when people go off of a movie they originally enjoyed.

Most of the time it'll be to with maturity and the passage of time. What was cool as a kid or teenager won't hold up in later life.

Sometimes movies just don't have that re-watchability factor (I often find this with comedies)

But occasionally it'll happen with action movies, dramas etc.

Spectre stands out as one of these. I came out of the cinema having thought it was quite decent, but on second viewing I was really bored and found the whole thing dull.

Are there any that stand out in your mind that you first enjoyed and then quickly realised you didn't like?

Man of Honour
The Matrix is still an excellent film, but I do think the lingering slow-mo 'special effects' shots have unfortunately dated the film to an era of "oooo look at these special effects!"

Caporegime
OP
The Matrix is still an excellent film, but I do think the lingering slow-mo 'special effects' shots have unfortunately dated the film to an era of "oooo look at these special effects!"

Not quite what I was after. Films can date significantly due to special effects but like you say, you still enjoy it.

I'm talking about movies that you really liked that you might re-watch and think "Why did I ever like this?"

Man of Honour
Not quite what I was after. Films can date significantly due to special effects but like you say, you still enjoy it.

I'm talking about movies that you really liked that you might re-watch and think "Why did I ever like this?"
Yes, it's not exactly what you were talking about, but what once was 'wow cool!' has become '*cringe*' by the passage of time. I can't think of any other film that makes me feel that way in respect of special effects, because almost no other film puts such emphasis on showing off them off. Otherwise, I'm quite indifferent to aged special effects.

Similarly, I will say that *whispers* The Thing (the John Carpenter one) does become a bit of a slog after watching it so many times... you just end up waiting and longing for the good bits, but I still appreciate and like it.

As a child, the 90s American Godzilla film was my favourite film of all time :D

In respect of appreciation as an adult, I don't think the Usual Suspects isn't particularly special as the twist/shock is based on overly manipulating the audience:

For example, Spacey's character is retelling a fabricated story, but if I were to retell a story, I would never describe in details things that happened in my absence, unlike the film which shows other characters doing things and therefore inferring that matters are a flashback, when it's not.

It's not terrible though, obviously.

Man of Honour
I actually have a great skill, I can repeatedly watch a film and still forget what happens.
eg I decided to watch Passenger 57 yesterday which I've seen at least 5 times and I can't remember any of it.
Probably my most watched films will be Deadpool or ID4, again 50% of them will be new.

Soldato
The Deer Hunter. First time I watched it, it was just so cool. The length, the acting, the story - all amazing, stunning, brilliant. Bought the recent anniversary UHD and found it pretty dull

Caporegime
OP
The Deer Hunter. First time I watched it, it was just so cool. The length, the acting, the story - all amazing, stunning, brilliant. Bought the recent anniversary UHD and found it pretty dull

I remember buying it on DVD, as it was one of those "classic" movies you hear about.

Really - it's dull as anything and has one great scene with the Russian roulette...

Caporegime
Funny you say this.

Dunkirk. I tried watching it again last night and just got bored after the first twenty mins.

I wasn't super in love with it first time, but I don't know what it is, it all looks so clinical clean and not like a chaos laced desperate withdrawal of 100s of thousands of troops.

I genuinely dislike it. The scene where he is forced to ditch his spitfire at the end. Just looks modern and lifeless.

Soldato
Rush Hour 2. I was stoned out of my mind when I went to see it at the cinema. Hated it upon a 2nd viewing a few years later.

Soldato
Star Wars Ep7 The Force Awakens - Bounced around like a child in a candy shop when I first watched it as it made me feel like a kid again, which blinded me to most of the films problems. Seen it 4 times in the end (cinema/home) but the 2nd time (cinema) was when the wide-eyed child started to disappear and the middle aged film cynic made a come back, with all the glossed over issues now being seen for what they were.

It was a shame as I quite enjoyed having that "re-lived childhood" feeling/excitement during my first viewing. I still don't think it's as bad as some say it is, and the film has "some" explanations for events which critics ignore, but whilst it's a well made film (great production, music, set design, sound etc) the story, as per usual now, just isn't good enough in the end.

On the plus side at least it's not Ep8!!!! I made it about 1/2 way through my only viewing at the cinema before saying out-loud "Is this actually **** (poop)?" which got more of a positive reaction from the audience than the film did (IIRC it was during the Canto Bight stuff when I said it). Literally no-one out of 100+ people who watched it with me seemed to be praising the film as they left, everyone seemed either confused or were already busy picking fault.

Back
Top Bottom