Energy Suppliers

Soldato
Is anybody here who was with Utility Point not heard from EDF yet? I've yet to get an email from EDF and I don't know how long to give it.

Soldato
Same here, i'd rather be comfy in shorts and t shirt with the heating on, that less comfy wrapped up in layers to save a few quid.

For this winter it's likely to be significantly more than that! I'd imagine most people on here could afford to have the heating on a little earlier, or come on at a slightly higher temperature. But granted there will be lots this winter who won't even consider having heating on in the house until it becomes unbearable.

You've got two choices really, accept the extra cost for heating if you want to be sat around during the winter in shorts and tshirts. Or wear thicker clothes - Jumper/hoody/socks/slippers/blanket and not need the heating on so high/as often.

As i WFH and the missus is out at work during the day, in winter we tend to give the heating a quick blast in the morning and then i'll wear warmer clothes while im in the office and then have the heating on later in the afternoon/evening when she gets back. Haven't got round to installing smart heating yet, and i cba going round switching off the radiators to the other rooms of the house for during the day when they're not in use.

Soldato
WFH - yes, you become mean, on daily heat - need a warmed mouse/track-ball.
too many peoples houses are stuffy at winter times with dry heat, shutting all trickle vents, always nice to have a window a jar.

Commercial premises that are meant to be ensuring covid ventilation, will be impacted, or, are they all locked in;

Caporegime
For this winter it's likely to be significantly more than that! I'd imagine most people on here could afford to have the heating on a little earlier, or come on at a slightly higher temperature. But granted there will be lots this winter who won't even consider having heating on in the house until it becomes unbearable.

You've got two choices really, accept the extra cost for heating if you want to be sat around during the winter in shorts and tshirts. Or wear thicker clothes - Jumper/hoody/socks/slippers/blanket and not need the heating on so high/as often.

As i WFH and the missus is out at work during the day, in winter we tend to give the heating a quick blast in the morning and then i'll wear warmer clothes while im in the office and then have the heating on later in the afternoon/evening when she gets back. Haven't got round to installing smart heating yet, and i cba going round switching off the radiators to the other rooms of the house for during the day when they're not in use.

I need 1 more trv to be completely set up. Gfs room definitely needs one. Hopefully this will mean only 2 rooms need heating during the day. Then our rooms will go off as we move to living room. Main bedroom only comes on during very late evening.

I wish had a benchmark to see how much (if) it saves anything

Dropped my room to 19 and seems fine. Except it is sunny out. But I'm guessing part of feeling cold last few days is the change. Once it settles cold should be more used to it

Soldato

This in theory should be easy with something like HA, you'd just have to ensure that you have a device that can accurately monitor the gas usage (or even log the readings manually).

Then you set a benchmark of how much gas you consume to heat up the entire house to the desired temperature, then the following day (assuming no drastic change in outside temperature) do the same again but only heating up the two rooms. You'd need to run the two tests close together and with minimal change in temperature to have a fair comparison.

From that point it should be pretty easy to work out an approx cost across how many days you both WFH, and multiplied out across late Autumn/Winter/early spring months.

Soldato

I guess that's true. Based on my normal usage my average bill is looking to go from £110 to £140 a month so around £360 just for the extra gas (the electricity charges seem to be around the same from what i've seen)

Associate
I need 1 more trv to be completely set up. Gfs room definitely needs one. Hopefully this will mean only 2 rooms need heating during the day. Then our rooms will go off as we move to living room. Main bedroom only comes on during very late evening.

Dropped my room to 19 and seems fine. Except it is sunny out. But I'm guessing part of feeling cold last few days is the change. Once it settles cold should be more used to it

I tried a TRV on every downstairs rad with Drayton Wiser. Approx 20 in total. Nice bit of kit and worked like a charm. However .... what I found was that unless doors were kept closed, the heat from one room would gradually heat up the hallway/adjacent rooms, and regardless of set temps, all rooms would be approximately the same temperature. I returned the kit and went back to a thermostat (u/s and d/s were already zoned).

Soldato
Transferred to the Tesla plan via octopus. This is for the electric.

11.76p kwh (import/export)
22p standing charge.

I’ll see how it fairs with our solar and powerwall.

Associate
I have fixed price with British Gas until end of November at £85 p/m. With the rise in prices I'm tempted to switch deals now while the prices are only slightly up. Is that the best thing to do with the uncertainty?

Quoted £122 renewal with British Gas (1 year fixed with exit fees),
£110 with Octopus (2 year fixed, no exit fees),
£110 with E.ON (2 year fixed, no exit fees),
£116 with EDF (3 year fixed, £200 exit fee),
£103 with Scottish Power (2 year fixed, no exit fees) Includes 12 month boiler insurance

These are just qouted prices based on previous year KWh, I still need to check the actual prices per KWh with each.

Are there any others I should check (or avoid at this time)? Not sure who the big providers are these days.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom