It's funny how (fuel shortages)

Associate
download.jpg

Associate
Out of interest, what is the rough costs of getting trained (+ADR qualified)?

ADR is a doddle to pass. I have one, ran out now though (lasts 5yrs). Was about £500 IIRC, but tankers need an additional one. I think refreshers are cheaper.

The actual HGV licence is the issue if people's own experiences are to go by. I don't know anything about HGVs though.

Soldato
You'd be unlucky if the car didn't last at least an hour running accessories without the engine on. I do know people who've run into problems with longer traffic jams etc. in the several hours where they've ended up running the battery down and having to be jump started though :s

It happened to me last friday queueing for fuel I'd turn off the engine and restart when we nudged forward a couple of feet every ten minutes, a couple of lads gave me a shove to to bump start it, won't be turning it off again thats for sure. Took it to halfords they said the battery was fine just needs a good charge up need to go for a drive for an hour and a half(!) I don't have anywhere to park and charge up so just bought a battery jump start/booster thingy instead incase there isn't anyone around to push if it happens again. I've got to admit I've taken to parking it on a hill where possible so I get get a bump start by letting it roll away if needed. Also taken to turning off all unneeded electrical items and I don't need aircon lately anyhow

Soldato
Out of interest, what is the rough costs of getting trained (+ADR qualified)?

Rough guess but when I enquired about getting class 2 6-7 years ago it was around £1,000. Then an additional £1,000 for C+E, not including the medical before hand and the testing fee which was £250 a time. ADR will likely be a similar figure if not more due to its dangerous nature.

Soldato
It happened to me last friday queueing for fuel I'd turn off the engine and restart when we nudged forward a couple of feet every ten minutes, a couple of lads gave me a shove to to bump start it, won't be turning it off again thats for sure. Took it to halfords they said the battery was fine just needs a good charge up need to go for a drive for an hour and a half(!) I don't have anywhere to park and charge up so just bought a battery jump start/booster thingy instead incase there isn't anyone around to push if it happens again. I've got to admit I've taken to parking it on a hill where possible so I get get a bump start by letting it roll away if needed. Also taken to turning off all unneeded electrical items and I don't need aircon lately anyhow
Aircon is driven directly from the engine. You should leave it on auto all the time really, much better in the long run.

Soldato
These fuel issues will cause cancellations in hospitality and tourism which has struggled most of the last 18 months.

People probably are cancelling mini breaks, visits to tourist attractions as struggling to get fuel. Saving what fuel they have in their cars for day to day stuff - work, food shopping, medical reasons. Same reasons to leave home in early lockdowns.

Associate
Got a jolly nice letter from the DFT today!

I particularly like the bit:

To those of you who are currently driving, we would like to thank you for the vital service you have provided during the COVID-19 response and the incredibly important role you continue to play in keeping goods moving around the country

It is quite a nice letter although I am probably too easy to please.

To earlier posts regarding training costs, I think the costs have risen a bit due to including the Driver CPC and the pass rate for the HGV test is circa 50%, so factor in an extra test or two. Although I did mine ages ago and passed first time the very first day of training is blooming hard, a lot to get your head round.

Don
I think people’s rational thought goes out the window when they see a queue. Was passing Asda at the weekend and cars were queuing out onto the main road.

Sainsburys over the road wasn’t particular busy just a couple of cars waiting.

Man of Honour
lack of panic buying round here and resultant complete normality of fuel availability has me thinking otherwise...

I can only speak from casual observation but the fuel stations around where I live seem to be getting their normal deliveries - in fact the one nearish work has been having 2 deliveries a day sometimes - it is just going in max 2-2.5 hours after as people descend like locusts. It seems to have calmed down a bit today but still at quiet times the forecourts are as busy as would normally be a peak time and some fuel stations seem to be out.

I'm not seeing any fuel shortage, supply wise, around here just insane activity by consumers.

Soldato
I'm not seeing any fuel shortage, supply wise, around here just insane activity by consumers.

i do think an awful lot of this is frenzy/panic. round here folk aint panic buying and every station seems to be operating normally.

i filled up as i was almost on redline (my default time to fill up) and there was a free pump, that had fuel, and the longest wait was getting back on the road after filling.

Soldato
i do think an awful lot of this is frenzy/panic. round here folk aint panic buying and every station seems to be operating normally.

i filled up as i was almost on redline (my default time to fill up) and there was a free pump, that had fuel, and the longest wait was getting back on the road after filling.
Depends where you live. London is bad

Soldato
Shell, Morrisons and Sainsburys which had fuel and long queues yesterday are dry today. The only place open is the small independent station which only has a couple of pumps but the queues were stretching all the way down the hill all day. Its still open now but I'll be surprised if theres anything left by tomorrow. 3/4 of a tank now and starting to get ever so slightly concerned would you wait till the end of the week and hope the crazyness ends or top up if you if and when you spot something open?

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

Still queues around my area and stations running out. Difficult to just put this down to panic buying now.

Same here - absolutely nothing at all anywhere on the Fylde coast once you get past Kirkham / Gt. Eccleston. Same thing happened during the fuel protests - as we're on a peninsula all the fuel deliveries get swallowed up the nearer they are to the refineries (Ellsmere Port for this neck of the woods) - they prioritise stations nearest the depots.

I've siphoned 12l out of the Westfield to put in the wifes car so she can still get to work (teacher).

Soldato
the fact that there's still deliveries being made to forecourts should be an indicator that it's not as big an issue as it's being made out to be

even in London...how many times have you seen a fuel tanker at a forecourt? I'm guessing not too many, in 20 odd years driving it's not something I've seen often (I don't live in London tho...)

now it's 'oh there's a fuel delivery at x station', must go get fuel!

can't say for certain but it seems current demand has outstripped supply

so has demand increased or supply fallen?

answers in a postcard

Back
Top Bottom