Worst car you have driven

Soldato
Mid-80s Mitsubishi Colt my mum had. Dreadful to drive, would understeer driving slowly into junctions. A supertanker is way more responsive, actually felt dangerous at times. Just to cap it off the interior made you want to cry .... apart from that it was ok.
7RsViFx.jpg

Soldato
Rover 25 with beige and maroon dials - had one as a hire car for about 5 miles, returned it to the hire place and got a Micra, lots better. Literally everything about the 25 felt terrible - seating position, controls, steering feel, engine, gearbox, pedals etc etc etc, such a car could only have been made by either a committee or by a single person who hated cars with an extreme passion.

Soldato
had a nissan micra (the bubble version) as a courtesy car from a garage once, thing had moon miles and was absolutely trashed inside and out.

literally the only, and i really mean only, positive thing i can say for it was that the mirrors offered good visibility.

other than that every single thing about it was terrible, no feel in the gear lever, clutch, brakes, steering or throttle and any speed beyond 30mph felt like you were over-reaching its capabilities. the seats actually gave you backache, whilst you could park it in a tight space the massive doors meant you couldn't get out if you did and you felt embarrassed to be seen in it.

i'd have rather taken the bus than drive it, but there were no buses going anywhere near where i needed to go at the time.

My first car was a Micra.

It was both the best car and the worst car I have ever had.

+
Almost never broke.
Loads of headroom for a tall bloke.
Cheap to buy.
Cheap parts.
Had it nearly 6 1/2 years and did not mind one bit as it saw me through my teenage years and university.

-
59hp and 59lbft.
Gear ratios too long.
No air conditioning.
Could not have windows open on motorway as the wind turbulence affected speed.
Exceptionally uncool.
Heavy clutch.
Would often smell of fart inside the car (although every car I have ever owned seems to do this?!).

Last edited:
Soldato
I've been lucky. I learned to drive in a Mk2 Fiesta 1.4 Ghia. Was my Mum's and I bought it from her when I left uni. Then I had a 2.0 Mk1 Mondeo. That was great apart from it was one of the first ones built and had no ABS. At least it taught me how to brake early. I went without a car for a while and then bought an 2.5 e46 BMW Compact, which I still have. They've all been good driving cars.

Worst ones have all been hire and courtesy cars. I had a Punto once that had wheels on it that would do better on a bike. That skidded all over a dual carriageway in the rain.

Soldato
I had the 70s, quite nippy as it weighed the same as a can.

actually sorry it WAS a 70bhp - 4 gears manual with a choke. Went like stink lol. My dad paid £100 for it so I had something to learn in.

The day I passed my test he scrapped it.

Given it was lethal it was probably for the best

Permabanned
OP
The 1980’s Datsun Stanza: Actually a really nice car... but very interesting handling characteristics.
Understeer & Oversteer in a FWD car.
They got some independent engineers to try & sort it out...not sure if they ever succeeded.

Last edited:
Caporegime
One of these.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Škoda_130

A gutless wonder that had concrete suspension & a vague idea of where to steer left or right when you did so with it steering wheel. Citroen CX Familiale was a close second.

My dad bought a Rapid brand new in the late 80's as a second car. I loved it tbh. Then again I was like 3 years old but it was nice putting shopping in the front bonnet.

Soldato
/\/\/\ Somehow I don't think the model I drove was 'rapid' :p Driving it in the rain is not an experience I would like to relive again. My dad was a passenger at the time as he came along to make sure it started & brought a battery for that purpose.
I tried to overtake an artic limited at 56mph & it struggled. Dad said 'put your foot down' Me = 'IT IS DOWN!'

Funny how you remember driving the bad cars more than the good cars. Cars I liked = Audi S8 Mk1 & LS400.

Back
Top Bottom