UEFA Champions & Europa League Football Thread ** spoilers ** [28th - 30th Sept 2021]

Man of Honour
Not a great performance but Villarreal are insanely difficult and frustrating to beat. Real didn't manage it at the weekend so I'll take that.

They also lost to a team most people have never heard of last night...

Real and Barca are in a right state.

Soldato
Let's face it Villareal are our hardest opponents in the group. They haven't lost a game in la Liga. Yes we have been jammy but 3 points against them is everything. We win our next game we are top of the group.

**** sake, seriously. I don't dispute that they're a half decent side and I'm fully aware they're hard to break down considering they've drawn majority of their games in La Liga this season. This doesn't justify the god awful performance until the final 20 to 25 minutes of the game. They were much the better team the first half and despite their reputation for being hard to beat, they were more threatening in the final 3rd than we were.

As a fan I want us to win, and to top the group but I'm also not under any illusions that we'll be found wanting as soon as we get into the last 16, unless Ole somehow gets the squad playing considerably better i.e. completely chalk and cheese to how we're playing now.

Man of Honour
Real are top of the table and undefeated...

I see elite manager Tuchel didn't win tonight, against another team that are in a right state :D

Early days though, they haven't looked great.

Do you really think we can't do any better than Ole? He had no idea what to do tonight and we won because of overwhelming quality, nothing else; a blind man could see that.

Caporegime

Do you really think we can't do any better than Ole? He had no idea what to do tonight and we won because of overwhelming quality, nothing else; a blind man could see that.

I've never said that. But equally nobody out there available is clearly better than him. It's just 'grass is always greener' effect right now.

Caporegime

That is a bit harsh. Once he changed the formation bringing Pogba off and Matic on we were far more stable. As much as everyone hates us playing two CDM's we were far better with Matic on.

Man of Honour
That is a bit harsh. Once he changed the formation bringing Pogba off and Matic on we were far more stable. As much as everyone hates us playing two CDM's we were far better with Matic on.

Luck more than planning, IMO.

Let's be straight here - it's good we won, and Ronaldo is marvellous - but we should have been multiple goals down. It was painful stuff.

Caporegime
Plus his subs, Fred and Cavani were instrumental in the winning goal. For some reason are just capable of extremes at the moment. Someone is either **** or they're world class.

Caporegime
Luck more than planning, IMO.

Let's be straight here - it's good we won, and Ronaldo is marvellous - but we should have been multiple goals down. It was painful stuff.

We should have drawn with Young Boys if it wasn't for the back pass. We should have drawn with Aston Villa and be joint top but we didn't. You need to take your chances.

Perhaps the reason why Villareal have drawn 5 of their league games is because they are terrible at finishing.

Soldato
I've always preferred Cavani as our #9, he's a class act in my opinion. Look at the run he made when the ball looked as it was going out, chases everything down, can hold the ball up, can finish and is very strong.

The problem is where does that leave Ronaldo? Not sure he has the legs to play wide left. I know Cavani's positioning in that game was drifting out wide to the left, but he was very much central for PSG after the 15/16 season.

Back
Top Bottom