Video / photo cleanup request

Soldato
Hello there, i'm in need of some help. Last week our car was broken into (not damaged, central locking didn't fire as one of the doors wasn't all the way shut.), but we've got nice front and rear camera footage.

When the video is moving, the picture is great, you can see who it is quite clearly, the car is parked directly under a streetlight. BUT when the dash cam is in "parking motion detect" mode, it drops down to 15fps, instead of it's usual 30fps, so when you pause the video the image is grainy and blurred.

If the police would accept a 2 second gif we'd be fine, but they're insisting on a clear still image before they'll start working on an identification.

This a printscreen grab of the video to give you an idea of the image quality...

LeOpG5g.png

I've uploaded the original video file to my google drive - clicky linky

If you think you could work some magic on the file and pull a clear image from the video, please let me know. We're currently stumped with the police as they're asking for a clear still image before they'll go any further.

Thanks.

Soldato
OP
Soldato
I'll run it through Neat video noise remover for you in just a sec. Don't expect magic though, it'll still be a bit soft.

The denoise got rid of the noise in the black and grey areas of the image but didn't really touch their faces. I did notice on one of the frames it appears that the guy on the left has an ear piercing. This image (and the video you showed) should easily be good enough for your lazy police force to work with.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I'll run it through Neat video noise remover for you in just a sec. Don't expect magic though, it'll still be a bit soft.

The denoise got rid of the noise in the black and grey areas of the image but didn't really touch their faces. I did notice on one of the frames it appears that the guy on the left has an ear piercing. This image (and the video you showed) should easily be good enough for your lazy police force to work with.

Thanks.

When they ransacked the van they poured a box of my wife's business cards over the floor, so he handled the box, which we bagged when we were cleaning up. The nice smooth new box. The police have told me this crime doesn't reach the level for their forensic department to expend resources to finger print it unless they already have a suspect and they want to confirm an ID....

Soldato
Thanks.

When they ransacked the van they poured a box of my wife's business cards over the floor, so he handled the box, which we bagged when we were cleaning up. The nice smooth new box. The police have told me this crime doesn't reach the level for their forensic department to expend resources to finger print it unless they already have a suspect and they want to confirm an ID....
They probably already have the scumbags prints in the database, the state of policing in this country is definitely a concern!

Associate
Maybe you could try Topazlabs Video Enhance AI program to do some quality enhancement work, it is said can restore realistic details and remove compression artifacts from old or degraded sources. But I can't guarantee that and I haven't tried it.
It offers a free trial version, so you can try it first.
It's offical page: https://www.topazlabs.com/video-enhance-ai/ref/748/

Soldato
OP
Maybe you could try Topazlabs Video Enhance AI program to do some quality enhancement work, it is said can restore realistic details and remove compression artifacts from old or degraded sources. But I can't guarantee that and I haven't tried it.
It offers a free trial version, so you can try it first.
It's offical page: https://www.topazlabs.com/video-enhance-ai/ref/748/

Thanks for the suggestion, i gave it a quick try and it didn't do much but it has got a LOT of options and settings so i might spend a couple of evenings giving it a try. Much appreciated :)

Soldato
Just had the email, unable to identify, case closed, no further action. Awesome.

Let me get this straight: you have a video of your car being broken into. A video which shows the burglars. And the police are not taking any action? I think you should be speaking to your local press.

Soldato
Thanks.

There is no money for finger printing in the police budget anymore for very minor offences. The police force of today is very very different to the one of 20 years ago,

Caporegime
Seems an odd decision to cut something inexpensive like fingerprints. Even if the prints are unknown currently it may help to link a string of crimes if the thief is caught in future.

Man of Honour
The lack of police action is unsurprising. The estate across the road from me gets hit every few months by a gang with a keyless entry signal amplifier. Residents contribute high quality CCTV footage each time, and some recognising the perpetrators have fingered them, yet the police response to the victims has been “case closed, claim on your insurance”.

Soldato
No police action is essentially the standard. In February of this year the next door neighbours CCTV caught 2 hoodie bro's kicking my shed door through and emptying it of all my power tools.
I identified 4 different areas from the CCTV where they had touched the shed without gloves on but they were utterly uninterested, didnt even try to print the areas and closed the case.

Even my insurance company asked them for a response as to why and they told them to basically eff off.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom