Dune (2020) - Denis Villeneuve

Soldato
It's the aspect ratio, rather than height,
apparently dune has 1hour of 1.43 aspect ratio and the rest is 1.9, so, above 18/9m screen should get black bars at the top/bottom on the tall screens during the 1.9 part of film,
or conversely on the sides, during 1.9 section if you had a tallers/1.43 screen
they are nonethesless only 4k projectors so you can end up seeing pixels if you are too close, versus 70mm analogue films at an imax (their real forte)

... so I think the Dolby laser cinemas do get a bad press (and you need to make sure the imax is a laser screen anyway) screen might not be as high, but they do have better colour rendition, if you sit closer should have the same effect ? and deafening sound.
https://hometheateracademy.com/dolby-cinema-vs-imax/ etc.

e: *Captured with high-resolution IMAX-certified cameras. More than one hour of IMAX exclusive expanded aspect ratio (full-screen 1.43:1).

Soldato
Indeed hadn't seen that comparison new one is definitely from the modern action movie blueprint dark sombre scenes/palette; maybe that is a reflection of the cameras/film availible then, more than directors choice.
seem the original was cheaper at $80M ajusted versus new one too $165M

Soldato
For me, id watch the new one as its something new and sci fi, but id probs prefer the older one as i just like stuff made back then like 80s 90s, some 70s stuff even, it just looked better on the cameras and effects of the day, everything these days looks far too clean and digital and hd, sometimes less hd can be actually nice. Plus the calibre of actors back then were good, new actors just arnt the same, they rely more on their looks rather than skill. Bar some actors which are good.

I mean i watched discovery but didnt like it that much but it was something to watch.

Soldato
Huh. Someone smoking craic
Rebecca Ferguson (be hard to beat her on screen)
Oscar Isaac
Stellan skarsgaurd (he will smash it and I mean smash it)
Josh Brolin
Jariver Bardem

There's enough talent their to help carry and help grow the younger actors and actresses into their parts.

Soldato
Good news peeps Dune doing extremely well in the limited markets. 80million so far.

Overall A drop of 32%. which is decent.

Could very well scrap a profit now. :)

Soldato
I've just been on the Vue website to book tickets at the Printworks and there aren't any IMAX showings listed. I had a quick check on Reddit and someone contacted the cinema who apparently said there aren't any plans to show it in IMAX yet. That's really disappointing if so! I'm just hoping they just add some in further down the line.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm sure Denis will be thrilled his movie isn't worth being put on the Imax screen at Manchester Printworks. They could be after the double dippers though, show it on release week on the normal screens, then slap it on the IMAX and get the die hards back in :p

Soldato
It looks like Bond, then Venom are scheduled for that screen so I'm hoping they'll slot Dune in around/after Venom. Fingers crossed it's just the Printworks Twitter rep not actually knowing what he's on about.

Soldato
Can book my local Odeon w/the iSense. Nothing on the Leicester Square IMAX yet. I’ll make sure I have tix for the former then if it’s in regular letterbox I’ll help fund Part 2 by going to see it again in IMAX.

Soldato
Cineworld LSQ is showing on opening day. I checked earlier.

https://www.cineworld.co.uk/cinemas...021-10-21&for-movie=ho00007605&view-mode=list

I might leave it until the Monday/Tuesday the following week - depends how busy it is. I'm not booking tickets now because I'd rather go when it's quiet.

Having said that, I went to Infinity War on opening day and it was pretty much dead and that was probably a lot more anticipated than this. :p

Back
Top Bottom