*** Microsoft Windows 11 Thoughts & Discussion Thread ***

Associate
If it helps I have the following which gives updates and has since around the 15th It just stopped at that version and it wouldn't move forward to any other version. I assume because it's on a 6100U chip TPM works with secure boot enabled. My other machine is still going but that has a 4500U with bitlocker enabled.

Edition Windows 11 Home
Version 21H2
Installed on 11/07/2021
OS build 22000.194
Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.22000.194.0

Associate
Thanks to the TPM 2.0 and secure boot bypass I've upgraded and old laptop with a Sandy Bridge i5 2450m, 8GB RAM that has an SSD it's it's working great. Flawless upgrade and its even running a little smoother :)

This artificial lockout on unsupported hardware is a pain in the ass when even this ancient laptop runs it just fine, so much for saving the environment from e-waste that companies like going on about.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
I'm just slightly annoyed at the CPU artificial lockout. Bypassing it is easy though but it poses the question about whether MS could at any point restrict Windows Updates to bypassed systems if WU detects that your CPU is in the list of "unsupported" chips or if the lockout is only at the OS upgrade/install level. Remains to be seen but I think when that time comes my mobo and CPU will have long been upgraded by then anyway.

Permabanned
OP
I'm just slightly annoyed at the CPU artificial lockout. Bypassing it is easy though but it poses the question about whether MS could at any point restrict Windows Updates to bypassed systems if WU detects that your CPU is in the list of "unsupported" chips or if the lockout is only at the OS upgrade/install level. Remains to be seen but I think when that time comes my mobo and CPU will have long been upgraded by then anyway.

I'm wondering how far are MS willing to go if so many people install it on unsupported hardware. One day we might all wake up and the news headline states something about millions of computers unbootable on windows 11.

I'm wondering how far are MS willing to go if so many people install it on unsupported hardware. One day we might all wake up and the news headline states something about millions of computers unbootable on windows 11.

How many people do you expect to have this problem? Seems like it'll only be a select few who bother to use these get arounds, like those that use these forums, but then how long do users in here keep their old hardware? I'd have thought for ocuk sake, it's not very long :p

The average user won't know any difference, and surely all future hardware going forward will be future proof/tmp enabled?

Associate
Welp, pc froze out of nowhere while gaming, after reboot I'm greeted with a black screen, no chance to login to windows. numlock turns off, mouse turns off, nothing I can do.
Tried boot repair, says it found a problem and can't fix, tried chkdsk in safe mode, nothing found. Can't unninstall windows updates (it simply ignores the option). Don't have a image to recover, so... I'll clean install w11 now. if it gives me more problems I'll go back to w10 and wait a few more weeks/months to let microsoft fix stuff.

Soldato
Welp, pc froze out of nowhere while gaming, after reboot I'm greeted with a black screen, no chance to login to windows. numlock turns off, mouse turns off, nothing I can do.
Tried boot repair, says it found a problem and can't fix, tried chkdsk in safe mode, nothing found. Can't unninstall windows updates (it simply ignores the option). Don't have a image to recover, so... I'll clean install w11 now. if it gives me more problems I'll go back to w10 and wait a few more weeks/months to let microsoft fix stuff.

thats sounds like a nightmare..

Associate
thats sounds like a nightmare..
Can't even install at this point.
So first I had my drive mbr, had to convert (command prompt) to gpt, then during "we're readying things for you" moment it froze then wouldn't continue instalation, format disk and try again.
This time, after naming pc and selecting those "microsoft wants your info" options, another screen showing new stuff of windows 11. Step 2/3 60% "installing", suddenly screen went black and no disk usage. Reset pc, screen goes black after bios, numlock and mouse turn off.
Gonna try 1 last time, but not hopeful.

Associate
Good job there isn't any important data on there...
I always have stuff stored in another disk, + could backup anything else during safe mode. So at this point I can format no problem.
I just hope this is a windows issue and not a hardware one.

update: managed to install no problem, even managed to "login" using pin. Then it showed up the usual "we're doing the finishing touches" message, a bit later blank screen + no response. Rebooting nets me blank screen + no mouse or numlock.

I give up, will go back to w10. Again, just hope it's not a hardware issue.

update2: welp, same thing with windows 10. installed just fine, first thing I did was install windows updates, but soon blank screen. Rebooting doesn't even reach the login screen.
I have no idea what is going on.

update3: computer boots normally to w10, already installed many things while windows update was downloading stuff, then it froze. Rebooted, logged in, installed 1 thin at a time. Computer freezes everytime I try to install gpu. Welp.
At least it wasn't due to w11.

Last edited:
Soldato
I always have stuff stored in another disk, + could backup anything else during safe mode. So at this point I can format no problem.
I just hope this is a windows issue and not a hardware one.

update: managed to install no problem, even managed to "login" using pin. Then it showed up the usual "we're doing the finishing touches" message, a bit later blank screen + no response. Rebooting nets me blank screen + no mouse or numlock.

I give up, will go back to w10. Again, just hope it's not a hardware issue.

update2: welp, same thing with windows 10. installed just fine, first thing I did was install windows updates, but soon blank screen. Rebooting doesn't even reach the login screen.
I have no idea what is going on.

update3: computer boots normally to w10, already installed many things while windows update was downloading stuff, then it froze. Rebooted, logged in, installed 1 thin at a time. Computer freezes everytime I try to install gpu. Welp.
At least it wasn't due to w11.

I looked at your previous posts knew it nothing to do with Windows 10 and 11, it definitely hardware issue.

Saw your spec, try download older Radeon GPU driver to see if it stopped blank screens. If it still have freeze and blank screens then try install Windows Basic Display driver, if that not help then try disabled Radeon GPU in device manager and enable onboard Intel GPU in UEFI and download, install Intel HD Graphics 4600 GPU driver from device manager to see if it stop freeze and blank screens. If both Radeon and Intel GPU still has freeze and blank screens then it could be down to old PSU failing due to age.

Associate
I looked at your previous posts knew it nothing to do with Windows 10 and 11, it definitely hardware issue.

Saw your spec, try download older Radeon GPU driver to see if it stopped blank screens. If it still have freeze and blank screens then try install Windows Basic Display driver, if that not help then try disabled Radeon GPU in device manager and enable onboard Intel GPU in UEFI and download, install Intel HD Graphics 4600 GPU driver from device manager to see if it stop freeze and blank screens. If both Radeon and Intel GPU still has freeze and blank screens then it could be down to old PSU failing due to age.
Been here working on the computer since last post. it has been 6 hours.
It got to a point that the computer simply didn't want to turn on. My biggest fear, either psu or mobo. Not even disconnecting everything from mobo (- cpu) was doing anything, no fan spins no lights.
Ended up removing every cable, every component (-cpu, don't want to mess with my evo 212 and re-paste the cpu). With nothing but 1 fan connected to the mobo, did the wire test and psu works. Re-attached psu to mobo, it turns on. Turn off and re-add components 1 by 1 then test if it turns on, it did.
No idea why it wasn't turning on at all, but now it's back to life.
Now I'm manually installing latest windows 10 update (21h1), windows update always wanted to install 20h0, that one always failed (it prolly installed gpu drivers then after reboot blank screen). Hoping it was a 20h0 issue and 21h1 bypasses any driver issue. Atm 0 drivers installed, not even igpu (cleared it all in safe mode with ddu).

1st time having this gpu driver issue, but after googling looks like I was lucky till now, the amount of ppl with this issue + with new components...
If I get the drivers working I'll be reinstalling w11 again. Didn't have much of an issue with it during these last few days.

edit: I did try older drivers, tried installing manually instead of running setup, any option would freeze computer. Gpu is sending signal (intel still not installed), but a bit worried if it's dying.

edit2: Nope. Trying to install 21h1 nets me the same "reboot to finish installing update", I reboot pc, it does it's "30-70%" complete", then it prolly tries to install gpu drivers and bam, freezes.
I give up for today.

edit3: went to the basement, had my oold computer gathering dust, grabbed my oooold gpu (a amd hd 4830). Downloaded last available drivers, tried to install... it didn't crash, but it didn't install the display drivers (everything else got installed, catalyst, audio, among other things).
Gonna try to install latest w10 update, then check if I can install old gpu drivers.

Last edited:
Soldato
Does anyone know if there will be a Windows 11 media creation tool?

Windows update is broken and no matter what I do I cannot fix it, the W10 assistance ran and only gives me the option for a clean install so passed on this.

Would rather do a upgrade to W11 and then a fresh install after than re install W10

Soldato
Is a total wipe of W11 on the 5th going to be totally necessary? Can I get away with a upgrade from W10 Pro as I dont have much in the way of "clutter" on my current OS drive, and just some games on my secondary..

Back
Top Bottom