It's funny how (fuel shortages)

Man of Honour
Why the BBC in particular when Sky, ITV, Channel 4, GBNews, 'Red Top' (DM and Sun were definitely sensationalising this) and other newspapers were reporting the same? :confused:
I guess because they are funded by the licence fee and therefore are expected to be a bit less dense than the private media outlets.

Man of Honour
Supply was never the issue to start with, garages have a set schedule for when deliveries come, they know exactly how much fuel they sell on any given day, but the second people started to panic buy those figures became useless and stations were selling through upwards of 50,000 litres of fuel in a matter of hours/days instead of the usual weeks/months. I suspect rural areas, like towns/villages will be just fine, but metropolitan locations like London, Birmingham etc will all have issues for some time due to the population density.

Nail on head I’d say, but there’s always the crazy exception to the rule that comes flying out of left field unexpectedly.
My wife said to me today, “I’ve only got a quarter of a tank left, drop me at Tesco to do a shop, and see if they have any petrol.”
I dropped her at Surrey Quays, drove across to the filling station, and there were only two vehicles ahead of me, so I filled up with £47 worth.

Soldato
Had zero trouble getting fuel up north , seems to be all the dopey southerners, there's a surprise :D
I'm in the south, I drove past 2 fuel stations earlier, both with fuel and each had only 1 car on the forecourt, so you can re-direct your contempt towards those Londoners. :D

Last edited:
Soldato
Stoke is a bit of a weird mix with one Shell by Festival Park, Hanley being without fuel since the 26th (my local one for V-Power) and the "almost next door" Morrisons (with 1 mile) getting plenty of fuel and having no/minimal queues.

Man of Honour
Well we know Londoners are crazy, you'd have to be to want to live there. :p

Tongue in cheek, whenever I read a post that runs London down, my first thought is that it’s from some anguished soul who wished that he/she could afford to live here.
All jokes aside, I’ve been trying to convince my wife to move to S.W. France for almost 20 years, but being a Peckham girl, she’s convinced that she’d never learn French, and is terrified of losing me in the street and being lost alone.
I want to leave U.K., but if I have to stay here, I’d never move from London.

Soldato
Supply was never the issue to start with, garages have a set schedule for when deliveries come, they know exactly how much fuel they sell on any given day, but the second people started to panic buy those figures became useless and stations were selling through upwards of 50,000 litres of fuel in a matter of hours/days instead of the usual weeks/months. I suspect rural areas, like towns/villages will be just fine, but metropolitan locations like London, Birmingham etc will all have issues for some time due to the population density.

Thats the problem set deliveries rather than delivery on demand areas with low demand have full pumps whereas areas with high demand are dry because theres no flexlibility in the system.

Had zero trouble getting fuel up north , seems to be all the dopey southerners, there's a surprise :D

Northerners are so slow by the time they realised theres a problem the pumps have been refilled!

Soldato
Exactly. London is incredibly densely populated and there's still a ****-ton of cars even if they get used less. The roads still fill up every day so while there's public transport there's also probably a million individual car journeys a day.

I'm on 4L but that's ~40 miles or about 5 round trips, given I only drive to see family here and there. I'll fill up when things calm down.
Yea i barely use my car.

I need to this sunday though to pick someone up from the airport. BUt now are debating whether i should bother, seeing as any road that has a petrol station will jammed with panic buying idiots blocking the roads causing traffic.....

Soldato
I suspect rural areas, like towns/villages will be just fine, but metropolitan locations like London, Birmingham etc will all have issues for some time due to the population density.
Honestly I'd say it's the other way round, diesel especially is in short supply out in Norfolk, with some areas not getting any for several days. Rural areas usually get put lower down the priority list to ensure cities like Norwich and London etc can keep running.

In my local town (which has about 10 stations), if you get a delivery it's usually gone in under 6 hours due to people needing fuel (pretty sure there is some panic buying) and it being made worse by people having to travel to my 'local' petrol stations from further afield (along with no cap on amount) because the ones near them are closed due to lack of fuel.

I had to keep a check on a facebook page for some diesel and then travel out at a random time straight after a delivery to get it (I'm not panic buying I actually needed it) and luckily didn't have to queue. Having said that it was still easier than trying to get a graphics card lol

Soldato
Tongue in cheek, whenever I read a post that runs London down, my first thought is that it’s from some anguished soul who wished that he/she could afford to live here.

No anguished soul here my friend, can't stand the place. It also fits the londoner stereotype of self importance quite well that you'd assume that everyone would want to live there :cry:

Soldato
Drove past the Shell about 0.75 mile from home. Price display sign switched off and sign saying no fuel plus sign on the corner as on a junction. Yet some numpty in front of me tried to turn and caused problems.

Many people in the UK don’t read signs. See this all the time at work!

Man of Honour
No anguished soul here my friend, can't stand the place. It also fits the londoner stereotype of self importance quite well that you'd assume that everyone would want to live there :cry:

Take it easy mon ami, I did preface my attempt at a humorous post with “tongue in cheek.” :cool:
I certainly don’t feel self important because I’ve always lived in London, but I AM mildly intrigued that anyone might not want to live here :confused:
I’ve been all over U.K., and never found anywhere to touch it, but of course, that’s purely my opinion ;)

Soldato
Take it easy mon ami, I did preface my attempt at a humorous post with “tongue in cheek.” :cool:
I certainly don’t feel self important because I’ve always lived in London, but I AM mildly intrigued that anyone might not want to live here :confused:
I’ve been all over U.K., and never found anywhere to touch it, but of course, that’s purely my opinion ;)
This is sort of my angle - being raised here it just feels like everything is here and anywhere else would be missing something or other. Of course I know I could be enlightened if I tried going elsewhere for a while, and many friends have. In fact it seems once you get out of London you don't come back, people are happier. But it's a big step to take intentionally when my head says there's no point!

Soldato

No offence meant.

Fresh air, peace and quiet, countryside etc. Plenty of reasons for people to stay away.

Plus the threat of a knife being pulled when trying to get some fuel :p

Soldato
I wouldn't want to live in London, I'm not exactly a huge fan of even just visiting.... but then I do live in Norfolk where all the Londoners keep buying up the houses (at over inflated prices) for their holiday/retirement homes :p

Back
Top Bottom