How you going to survive winter?

Soldato
I remember in uni in the 3rd year in a shared house we tried to save money by not turning on the heating so I bought 100 tea candles for £1 from the Pound Shop and would light 4-5 in the evening. I close the door to my room and it's enough to take the edge off.

But when I wake up in the morning I could see my breath in the air inside my room. It actually feels warmer outside the house!

I doubt it's going to ever get that bad!

See I remember being in uni digs where the electricity was included in the rent price. So we used to crank the oven upto 250 and leave the door open.

Soldato
A few friends to the west of Aberdeen were snowed in for days, lucky ********!

Yep, in February this year my car was stranded (typical BMW) and had to abandon it and walk the rest, thankfully only the last mile of a 30 mile commute. The snow even brought down a few trees I had to sort out.

y4mEwAbQL7M_6ROl1fgqI5fzjRTwmaMQApqxW6EK9uCxfguriL-teQt8LnjvelS9EnEHS2zXmI0f3Ekz-QcbmQSsM89eAHS6IhFWOXbBF-euJw1aqUNcKnt8vBdhOtlx9UTVBbVU-huZpVxorIMRNZEaT-tjgKk_QvAhvn2UTo4swg

Pretty, but damn cold!

y4m1gcoJdp-dixFUw3hMQlCZnfx4w9k-o05MbwQ_n0hKqhINpmGCDxLduftyINSudu8ovZ066DPcsCGzAkfdgoXgGxPg9DBWUOPAiAmfDzoW1SoHOpspGKy-a0vtMQwdBE_zp39Fo-QyiffPtOqPpM84I9Ov-qH4C0nF5slzqUYgb0

Soldato
I assume like every year before, work will schedule all the jobs that are up a mountain for January again....
Soo 200g and 400g thermals under heavy cargo trousers, t shirt, hoodie. With wet weather trousers and jacket. Plus two pairs of socks...

They used to let us order two pairs of boots a year, one breathable pair for summer and one thermal lined boots for winter. Now you have to choose just the one pair, so either sweat your feet off in summer or risk frostbite in the winter...

Associate
Electric blanket will go back on when the temps drop. Flat is gas heating and since I moved in 14 months ago I’ve not used any gas. This year I’ve got 2 mining rigs so they should help out with keeping the flat warm ish.

Only downside to winter is Christmas being a postman I can put up with the rain, cold, wind, etc what annoys me is the amount of rubbish people order at Christmas! People you never see for 11 months of the year suddenly get parcels everyday, then are never in, ask for redelivery and again are not in!

I prefer the Oct-Feb part of the year, as if I'm too cold, I find it easy to get warm.

In the rest of the year, particularly May-Aug, I find it harder to cool down if I'm too hot. I rely on air conditioning just as much as I rely on heating. Around 3-4 months per year for each.

Associate
I assume like every year before, work will schedule all the jobs that are up a mountain for January again....
Soo 200g and 400g thermals under heavy cargo trousers, t shirt, hoodie. With wet weather trousers and jacket. Plus two pairs of socks...

They used to let us order two pairs of boots a year, one breathable pair for summer and one thermal lined boots for winter. Now you have to choose just the one pair, so either sweat your feet off in summer or risk frostbite in the winter...

What's your job, if you don't mind me asking?

Soldato
Electric blanket will go back on when the temps drop. Flat is gas heating and since I moved in 14 months ago I’ve not used any gas. This year I’ve got 2 mining rigs so they should help out with keeping the flat warm ish.

Only downside to winter is Christmas being a postman I can put up with the rain, cold, wind, etc what annoys me is the amount of rubbish people order at Christmas! People you never see for 11 months of the year suddenly get parcels everyday, then are never in, ask for redelivery and again are not in!
Surely using the boiler is cheaper than putting an electric blanket on? Electric must be 6 times the cost of gas.

Soldato
Just be happy if your not living at the far north of Scotland, we are actually quite lucky if living in the southern half of the UK

Associate
I also love the winter, may put on a jacket if it gets below zero degrees.

Used to go Winter mountaineering and ice climbing when I was younger.

Went on a trip to Canada a few years ago and went up the Athabasca glacier - was the only person on the trip not wearing a jacket.

The guide asked my wife if I was OK and she told him that I never feel the cold !

She is also going through the change, so i can put the heating on very low now.

Soldato
Surely using the boiler is cheaper than putting an electric blanket on? Electric must be 6 times the cost of gas.

Heating just their body versus heating whole flat.

Volume of human body likely to be >6 times smaller than volume of flat. Unless they live in a cupboard.. Made me think of Bender's room in Futurama!

Back
Top Bottom