Energy Suppliers

Soldato
Hopefully not Octopus?

Be very surprised, they just took on Avro customers. Agreed with Troop. Haven't heard anything from Bulb since the initial don't panic statement, really hoping it isn't them, but in anticipation I created and printed out a spreadsheet for the parents with the current tariff as well as tariffs of about 7 other suppliers so they know what to expect.

Soldato
I'm with Symbio and only found out when I tuned into the 10pm news.

No email or anything from them. Website has been updated.

No idea who will be taking over the supply but what with no gas and an air source heat pump, plus the fact theres nothing to switch to, I'm in for some impressive bills over winter.
I have the same set up with heat pump, no gas either. Though am/was (unsure what status is) with Igloo. Took a meter reading with photos of both figures. Think my credit lies about £120 give/take £5 as submitted readings 15 days ago.

Soldato
Thankfully got my money back from Avro via the DD guarantee as they are by all accounts an extremely dodgy outfit, and they never became my provider.

I was with Avro and they took a payment from me via DD after I officially switched from them to Utility Point.

Utility point then took over, took a payment, and died within a month.

In either case can I use the DD guarantee to claw back the money they took? Especially interested with AVRO because they were no longer supplying me when they took the payment.

The one from Utility Point should wind up as credit with EDF at least.

Soldato
Hinckley B is due to come on stream 2026. Nuclear power stations take a decade or more to plan, build, commission and test.

I think we need more than one, and I did say long term.

Ultimately we should have started planning/building them when the decision was made to shut off coal.

Caporegime
Still not customer number from EDF, gas showing as now supplied by EDF but electricity is with Utility Point.

Wish they'd get a move on as I need to get a smart meter installed.

Caporegime
I think we need more than one, and I did say long term.

Ultimately we should have started planning/building them when the decision was made to shut off coal.
Pardon me, I meant Hinkley C, Hinkley B is due to be decommissioned in the next few years! There's also Sizewell C nuclear power station - Wikipedia but construction hasn't even started yet!

Last edited:
Soldato
I was with Avro and they took a payment from me via DD after I officially switched from them to Utility Point.

Utility point then took over, took a payment, and died within a month.

In either case can I use the DD guarantee to claw back the money they took? Especially interested with AVRO because they were no longer supplying me when they took the payment.

The one from Utility Point should wind up as credit with EDF at least.
I think it's appropriate to use the DD guarantee given what you've described. They've charged you for a service they did not and cannot provide.

You likely need to call up your bank to do it, and they'll talk you through what may happen (you explain the situation, if it fits the terms they refund, then investigate and thus depending on the outcome of that may take the refunded money back).

Soldato
My Octopus has rolled onto the flexible tariff now. The smart meter still has the old tariff data though so it's calculating it wrong.
Will it eventually update and change the costs or will this month be wrong?

Soldato
My Octopus has rolled onto the flexible tariff now. The smart meter still has the old tariff data though so it's calculating it wrong.
Will it eventually update and change the costs or will this month be wrong?

I'd email them and ask.

Soldato
Anyone been offered the "flexible 5 direct debit ebill" tariff on shell energy?

Leccy
21.77p standing
18.49 per kwh

Gas
26.6p standing
3.26 per kwh

On the app which is where I accepted it, it says its a fixed type tariff... yet in the small print says variable.

Doesn't seem that bad vs others I've seen.

Caporegime
Anyone been offered the "flexible 5 direct debit ebill" tariff on shell energy?

Leccy
21.77p standing
18.49 per kwh

Gas
26.6p standing
3.26 per kwh

On the app which is where I accepted it, it says its a fixed type tariff... yet in the small print says variable.

Doesn't seem that bad vs others I've seen.

Who were you with before?

Caporegime
Same company.

But was on a much cheaper tariff.

Was 14p standing and 14.6p for leccy
And 16p standing with 2.36p for gas.

So yea, it's an increase, but nothing that dramatic as others I've seen

If that's the price including the increase today that's good!

Back
Top Bottom