Steam Deck - Region Locked?

Soldato
So i pre-ordered a steam deck on release but i'm considering gifting it to my brother who lives in Hong Kong at the moment.

What i want to know is, is the steam deck region locked? Or will he just be able to log into his account on the steam deck and use it?

Thanks

Associate
probs one for steam i suppose.. i wouldn't be surprised if it was like Netflix where he will be able to login but it would be the HK store rather than UK.

Have your brother gift it to my brother, then he can ship it back to UK to gift to me. Sharing is caring ;)

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
probs one for steam i suppose.. i wouldn't be surprised if it was like Netflix where he will be able to login but it would be the HK store rather than UK.

Have your brother gift it to my brother, then he can ship it back to UK to gift to me. Sharing is caring ;)
:cry: I'm sure by the time we've gifted it to each other we probably could have bought another lol.

Yeah he's locked to the Hong Kong store on his steam account, the only way to change it is to buy something in the UK store which will allow him to switch. We tested it previously when a game on sale was only available in the UK store so he used VPN to buy.

I was hoping the devices themselves aren't region locked.

Associate
i vaguely remember Steam catching on that some people use vpn from one country to another in order to buy a game at a cheaper price (since some countries don't have tax).. Think it was UK to India or something, and so they put measures in place so that would no longer be allowed

Soldato
I was going to suggest a VPN, surfshark or the likes. Some are better than others for spoofing locations for services like steam, Netflix etc. Best bet would be connecting through a virtual private server, but no idea how that would work on a steam deck.

Back
Top Bottom