People who go and sit in their car to eat their luncheon at work

Soldato
Been working from home for 3 years, started new job that's office based where I'm around people for 8hrs a day. Straight to the car for my half hour break, I'm okay with it and it seems quite a popular choice with others there.

Soldato
Been working from home for 3 years, started new job that's office based where I'm around people for 8hrs a day. Straight to the car for my half hour break, I'm okay with it and it seems quite a popular choice with others there.

That absolutely sounds like a surreal comedy sketch. A busy office full of people are all talking away to each other at their desks, the coffee machine and in various meetings and training sessions. Then at lunch time they all stop talking and traipse outside to sit in their cars and eat their lunch alone in silence.

Man of Honour
That absolutely sounds like a surreal comedy sketch. A busy office full of people are all talking away to each other at their desks, the coffee machine and in various meetings and training sessions. Then at lunch time they all stop talking and traipse outside to sit in their cars and eat their lunch alone in silence.

Sounds normal to me.
You've just had 4 or 5 hours of a busy office so you go and have 30 minutes 'me time'.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

I do this on occasion if I’ve driven to the supermarket and come back with snacks :D

Man of Honour
I always eat my lunch in my van, or a cafe, always on the move!

Bit like me I guess when I drove a Black Cab, late morning I’d go to a sandwich bar off Fleet Street, get a Mexican tuna on white and a black coffee to go, then aim for Lincoln’s Inn Fields, where I’d sit in the back and read the paper while eating the sandwich.

Associate
Can’t say I’ve ever taken lunch in the car but used to take my lunch alone. Sometimes just go for a walk for an hour, being around the same people all day I just need some peace and quite.

Soldato
Someone at my old work used to go and eat his lunch and then have half an hour's kip in his car at lunchtime. He had young kids so didn't get much sleep at home :p

I don't think I ever ate lunch in the car, but went and sat on a bench away from the office sometimes if the weather was nice. Just fancy a change of scene sometimes.

Soldato
Haven't done it for about 30 years, but I worked at OPCS (now ONS) back in the 90s and almost always went and sat in my car at lunchtime. Peace and quiet and I could listen to the radio/my music or read a book. I also had a cooler in the car as I used to take a pint of milk to work as part of my lunch, which probably stems from when I was a Postman in the late 80s and used to stop the milk float and get a bottle :)

Man of Honour
I work with a women who used to do this, the weirdest part was that she used to sit in the passenger seat rather than the drivers seat and when I said, ahh I suppose you can be more comfortable while you eat in that seat because the wheel doesnt get in the way, her reply was, actually never thought about it like that, the reason I sit in that seat is so it wears it a bit more as no one ever sits there. weird people are weird...
Makes sense to me, load balancing the seats so it takes longer for the driver's seat to be damaged.

As for the topic in general I can understand why people would do this, mainly for privacy reasons. Maybe they are embarrassed about what they are eating, maybe they don't want people trying to talk to them etc.

Caporegime
Bit like me I guess when I drove a Black Cab, late morning I’d go to a sandwich bar off Fleet Street, get a Mexican tuna on white and a black coffee to go, then aim for Lincoln’s Inn Fields, where I’d sit in the back and read the paper while eating the sandwich.

This sounds like a recipe for disaster​

Associate
I do this purely because I work in an Academy providing IT Support and staff here will demand support even if I'm sat in the canteen eating with the students, regardless of the importance of the job.

Capodecina
Soldato
The weirdos are the ones who don't choose to use their lunch break as a break from work.

This is true. I never take a lunch break, and as a result I can leave early should I choose to.

Some workplaces don't have any private official areas, and my site is no different. I totally understand people going somewhere where they can be alone when they are constantly around other people for 7+ hours during the day.

When I say "official" private areas, cars or no cars, it's very common for some people to find spaces onsite to get away from it all. In health centres and hospitals it's very common to find staff eating their lunch in an unused clinic room [which shouldn't happen, but it does]. People need time alone, some more than others. We all have our different routines and needs that have to be met so we can function productively.

Man of Honour

This sounds like a recipe for disaster​

While I totally take your point, a Mexican tuna sandwich is a tasty snack for those who like spiced but not overly so food.
In addition to tuna, it will contain sweet corn, peeled and diced cucumber, diced red onion, diced red bell pepper, some seeded jalapeño, maybe some cilantro or cumin, a sprinkle of lime juice, avocado, and ground black pepper if you ask for it.
A more than adequate light lunch at 12.30-13.00 that will see you through until dinner in the evening.
If you luck out and find a 21st century sandwich bar that has sourdough or rye bread, you’ve hit the jackpot.

Back
Top Bottom