Coil whine free PSU - Recommendations

Associate
I have just installed a corsair RM750x (2018) to replace my whining corsair HX620w and..
Its dead SILENT! Heavenly compared to the annoying squeeking old one!

I choose for the 2018 version of the RM750x over the 2021 version because of the fan and its profile. Both versions have a fan -off mode at low loads but the 2021 version has a magnetic levitated fan.
That should be better quality and 'more reliable' than the rifle bearing of the 2018 fan but its also slightly louder. Moreover the 2021 version has a more agressive fan curve so it will also spin faster than.

Since i really wanted to install my psu fan downwards i was afraid the temp inside the psu would make the fans spin more than the published fancurve shows. (because the fancurve shown by corsair only shows output wattage on the graph but actually the fan speed is not only determined by that but also by temp sensors inside the psu. ) If mounted fan down those might trigger sooner than if the fan (and thus opening ) would be up allowing warm air to rise out of the psu.
All mostly assumptions, but i didn't want to take the risk and went for the 2018 version which is still very good efficiency wise.

So fromage, if you'dd ever come and seek an answer on you initial question: yes the RMx units seem worth trying. (Next to my experience there were three others here who described zero coil whine with them, but sadly photoshop his/her experience shows its no guarantee).

(i'm using an AMD 5600x on a b550 gta MB from biostar with a 1660ti from nvidia)

Associate
Seasonic Core GM650 - Zero Coil whine:
-Ryzen 3950x
-MSI Radeon 6800
- 2 NVme drive
- 2 Sata Drives
- 48GB RAM

I've had GFX/ PSU combinations before with both mild & medium/ strong coil whine, this particular configuration has none at all.

Associate
I can advise the best test scenario for the coil whine.

Just install the Unreal Engine 5 and load free City Sample project.

My brand new system:

i9-12900K
Asus Z-690-A Gaming WiFi D4 + 128GB RAM
Asus TUF 3080 12GB
Corsair HX1000 1000 W 80+ Platinum

No coil whine anywhere (RDR2, Death Stranding etc).

Except a very loud in Unreal Engine 5 Editor.

Soldato
An old anecdote, coil whine is something you can't predict. Generally better quality components will be less susceptible to coil whine however, the combination of said components and mains supply all play a part. Back in the day a mate of mine had a power supply and HD7970 that both made a racket in his PC. He brought them to mine to test, whisper quiet...

Associate
An old anecdote, coil whine is something you can't predict. Generally better quality components will be less susceptible to coil whine however, the combination of said components and mains supply all play a part. Back in the day a mate of mine had a power supply and HD7970 that both made a racket in his PC. He brought them to mine to test, whisper quiet...
That’s true. Sadly both units from Corsair showed coil whine when paired to the 3090. Previous to them a 750 Gold from EVGA was fine, but under load the fan would start and it had a nasty noisy to it. The Seasonic is dead quiet. I guess is luck of the draw, when buying good brands PSUs and a lottery when buying a GPU. Finally I got both very quiet, under any scenario.

Associate
Jayztwocents had a video showing the same thing. It was ages ago and I can't be bothered to find it but the source of electricity does make a huge difference.

If you've got noisy input, you're far more likely to get noise.

Soldato
Maybe those special mains 'noise' cleaning PSUs that are targeted towards audiophiles for thier amplifiers do have something too them after all?

Soldato
all of these models are doomed?

No, my RM750 has no whine. well it does in certain game menu screens if the frame rate is in the thousands of frames per second. Putting a hard cap on the frame rate solves it, either in game or setting a hard limit in the driver software.

Associate
I have old RM650x, running without issues for 6 years. Never had coil whine or any sound for that matter. That's why I ordered my PSU from corsair, but they are cheap on parts now. There are numerous reports on their RM1000X and HX1000 for coil whine. I am thinking of trying be quiet! Straight Power 11 Platinum 1000w.

Associate
I fixed the coil wine on my 3080 12GB OC card by 2 "simple" steps:

1. Replaced the 1000W PSU by 1500W digital (digital is most important). The noise reduced in 80%.

2. Replaced the GPU wires. They are "premium", but has a capacitors in the middle. Which are caused the rest 20% of coil wine on GPU and PSU.

So now I have a very quiet PC :)

Associate
I have old RM650x, running without issues for 6 years. Never had coil whine or any sound for that matter. That's why I ordered my PSU from corsair, but they are cheap on parts now. There are numerous reports on their RM1000X and HX1000 for coil whine. I am thinking of trying be quiet! Straight Power 11 Platinum 1000w.

Most important part is: what GPU do you have. And what apps will you run.
I had no issue with 1000W + 2080Ti.
And even after switch to 3080 OC 12GB I had no issue in games.

But Unreal 5 caused sooooo heavy coil wine until I switched to digital PSU.

Back
Top Bottom