It's funny how (fuel shortages)

Soldato
Its bonkers in brighton and beyond major roads are blocked everywhere by queueing traffic more than a dozen bus routes have either had to be cancelled or rerouoted as its impossible to get past the queues. Govt keeps saying its going to ease, its going to ease, we expect it to ease this week now its next week, FFS stop talking things down and get your finger out and do something about it! You talk about the army in reserve well what are you waiting for? Jesus.

They don't really need the army when there's no shortage of drivers lol

Caporegime
Love a good bandwagon me. I'm almost tempted to join one of these queues, and I own an electric car :D
I saw a Tesla in the queue last Friday night which at the time I thought rather odd, I can only assume he was wanting the tyre machine maybe or perhaps he’d intended to fill up his partners car but had taken the wrong one? :D

Permabanned
Rubbish. Of course it does due to air resistance. Simple physics.

That's not true. The optimal fuel consumption is at 90 km/h, everything below and above results in higher fuel consumption.

0 l/100km you get when you don't touch the throttle while you keep a certain gear.

Tea Drinker
Don
Ita absolutely ridiculous in the SE and London now, news outlets need to be held accountable for causing this carnage.

No police sorting things out on the roads, no signs of any tankers, not one person with half a brain in the petrol stations with a chip and pin on the forecourt. Bet most filling up still need to get their coffee and lunch.

Soldato
Ita absolutely ridiculous in the SE and London now, news outlets need to be held accountable for causing this carnage.
Same goes for the loo roll gate.

The media need to apologise to the essential retail workers who have been subjected to abuse and shouted at, when most of problems we had zero control of.

People who shout at retail staff are horrible and never worked in retail. Love to see them to work an hour on 23/12 (busiest trade day of the year) to see how they cope. They won’t! I’m looking to leave retail. Have updated CV and sent it to some companies.

If the media didn’t show photos of people buying 230 loo rolls, empty shelves, large queues at petrol stations and locks on pumps - we wouldn’t have these situations!

I had two panic attacks, hardly slept as crying and on antidepressants due to horrible customers. A few have been banned from the store due to their aggressive behaviour. Wish we could playback what customers have shouted at us to them. If they don’t respond in a way that they have regretted their actions, they are nasty people.

Soldato
No police sorting things out on the roads, no signs of any tankers, not one person with half a brain in the petrol stations with a chip and pin on the forecourt. Bet most filling up still need to get their coffee and lunch.
Maybe tuffing out the vehicles with more than a third of a tank out of the queues will help. Exceptions include those who work in directly in health, care, teaching, retail, haulage, utilities etc. Not talking admin roles in these jobs.

Caporegime
That's not true. The optimal fuel consumption is at 90 km/h, everything below and above results in higher fuel consumption.

0 l/100km you get when you don't touch the throttle while you keep a certain gear.

Again not true. It varies between cars depending on actor, rolling resistance, engine, weight and gearing. Most cars fall between 45mph and 50mph for optimal fuel economy.

For instance, a 2004 Chevrolet Impala had an optimum at 42 mph (70 km/h), and was within 15% of that from 29 to 57 mph (45 to 95 km/h). At higher speeds, wind resistance plays an increasing role in reducing energy efficiency.

Wind resistance is a big one. Stay 3m behind a truck and your fuel economy increases by up to 40%

Every car will have its own individual maximum mpg speed although it is highly unlikely to be more than 57 mph. Therefore as we are all saying, the person claiming 90mph is as fuel efficient as 50mph is just plain wrong.

Caporegime
Maybe tuffing out the vehicles with more than a third of a tank out of the queues will help. Exceptions include those who work in directly in health, care, teaching, retail, haulage, utilities etc. Not talking admin roles in these jobs.

How does that work if you are on a 300 miles journey for work and a third of a tank wont get you there?

Associate
Realised I can use my company Shell card at the local Texaco garage so popped down and the queue was not too bad but they started putting cones behind my car so I was the last one in!

A BMW driver then used the exit to drive in and nip in behind me and started filling up cans from his boot.

Back
Top Bottom