• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

new gpu for vr

Associate
so i neeed a new computer for vr and am starting to look at gpu first what would my min specs be in either geforce and radeon and mid range also .
also is there one type better for vr as i've a liking for radeon more but am willing to change budget would on go to £1400 ish (just gpu) so no top of range cards for me

Associate
^ Yes, £1400 would get you a 3090 FE and very good they are too ;)

This really comes down to what headset you'll be pairing it with and some are going to be much more demanding than others. E.G. my old GTX 1080 was pretty good a driving my CV1 in most things but wouldn't cut it for a Reverb G2 (next on my list).

This was the best review I found of the high end cards for VR: The Red Devil RTX 6900 XT versus the RTX 3090 (babeltechreviews.com)

Soldato
It really depends on which VR headset you plan to use.

For a Quest 2 / Rift a 3060Ti should be fine. If you are looking to drive something with a lot more pixels on max details at 120 FPS, the sky is the limit.
Facebook connect at the end of the month is expected to announce new headsets which could mix things up.

I have a 3070 and both Rift and Quest 2

GPU's are crazy price right now so I'd buy what you need and not worry about future proofing etc.

Soldato
Most modern vr headsets are too much for any graphics card on the market (depending on the game of course). Effectively dual 4k displays, running at 90hz or more. Whilst some will run on lower spec cards, you've got £1400, so that's enough to buy basically best consumer cards out there.

Soldato
3090FE with a Reverb G2 is pretty bloody good and is what I run. If I was buying now though I'd try to bag a 3080Ti FE probably - Save a bit of cash and nobody needs 24Gb Vram for gaming, even in super high res VR (though the cooler is significantly bigger and better on the 3090FE vs the 3080TiFE)

^ and regarding performance, motion reprojection on the G2 sorts out most games that can't hit 90fps in VR, which is most games I play!

Soldato
As long as you have one of the latest headsets, Quest 2, Reverb G2, Vive Pro 2 and even the Valve Index, then you should buy either the best 3080Ti you can get for your money or a 3090FE if you can find one.

Associate
Most modern vr headsets are too much for any graphics card on the market (depending on the game of course). Effectively dual 4k displays, running at 90hz or more. Whilst some will run on lower spec cards, you've got £1400, so that's enough to buy basically best consumer cards out there.
When did we get to the point where we're completely unprepared to adjust any graphics settings, even when they make minimal visual difference ? Isn't tweaking the settings to get a great result a charicteristic of PC gaming ?
I'm only on a Quest 2, which I know is a bit lower res, but the Radeon 6800 has been immense, & if it did fall short, I certainly won't mind spending 20 mins with an optimisation guide.
People really are tending to be over-dramatic lately, seems to be in the air.

Associate
3090FE with a Reverb G2 is pretty bloody good and is what I run. If I was buying now though I'd try to bag a 3080Ti FE probably - Save a bit of cash and nobody needs 24Gb Vram for gaming, even in super high res VR (though the cooler is significantly bigger and better on the 3090FE vs the 3080TiFE)

^ and regarding performance, motion reprojection on the G2 sorts out most games that can't hit 90fps in VR, which is most games I play!

3090 is really a great card for productivity, GPU rendering, Unreal Engine etc, it's wasted on gaming. That said, the prices have been so close & the availability of the 3090 has been actually fairly good throughout this thing, that I don't blame any gamer for getting one, just because of lack of other options/ lack of saving for dropping down a tier.

Soldato
When did we get to the point where we're completely unprepared to adjust any graphics settings, even when they make minimal visual difference ? Isn't tweaking the settings to get a great result a charicteristic of PC gaming ?
I'm only on a Quest 2, which I know is a bit lower res, but the Radeon 6800 has been immense, & if it did fall short, I certainly won't mind spending 20 mins with an optimisation guide.

Seconded... My 6800 powers my quest 2 just fine, even in demanding games like HL:Alyx, sure a 6900 or 3090 would be better and let me turn it up to max, but it's not necessary

Soldato

I'm on a 6700xt and happy enough, but the guy said he has £1400 to spend, which is a top of the range card. Even a quest 2 can easily outpace it though (120hz, and damn near 2x4k for full resolution). And it's far from overly dramatic to say that most the vr headsets are too much for current cards, it's the simple truth. A large library of current VR games cannot be run at max resolution and 120hz (even without being on max graphical settings).

Soldato
Try and get a 3080FE for £649 and if you don't manage to get one as they sell out fast then either the 3080ti FE or 3090FE will still be in stock for a while longer.

Associate
A large library of current VR games cannot be run at max resolution and 120hz (even without being on max graphical settings).

I've got a 3090FE and a Quest 2 and max resolution at 120hz is definitely nice to have but not doable in some games even with tweaked settings. Tends to be pick one or the other and tweak from there. For VR I'd want as much speed as you can get and a good chunk of RAM. I've seen >12GB in Alex and modded Skyrim. You can fall back on reprojection but it can be nasty on games with a HUD.

Also depends whether you're playing games designed for VR or PC games that also support VR as the second can be a lot more demanding. HL Alex is different, it scales very well and I've had a decent experience on a combination of 2 headsets, 2 pcs and 3 GPUs. Better hardware is - better.

High refresh is nice for games with quick movement and high res is nice to have in games where draw distance is a factor, it's good to be able to tell if that blob in the distance is a deer or a dragon, or a freighter or a fighter.

For a 1400 quid budget I'd get a 3090FE unless the high vram temps that they run worry you. Other than that I'd get the fastest 16gb Radeon you can find for the money. VR is plenty scaleable though, I've also got my old 4790K with a 2080ti that I got cheap in the big sell off. VR is still fun on that.

Soldato
The guy's budget is £1,400. Not £350 or £500 or £700.

For example, if somebody has £10,000 for a new kitchen, you wouldn't recommend one for £5,000 because it would do most people. If somebody has £50,000 for a new car, you wouldn't recommend one for £20,000 because it would do most people.

Yes, a 6800 is enough for most people. I'm actually trying to buy a 3060Ti myself. However, the OP has £1,400 set aside for a GPU so a 6900XT, 3090, or possibly a 3080Ti are the only three possible options.

Soldato

For example, if somebody has £10,000 for a new kitchen, you wouldn't recommend one for £5,000 because it would do most people. If somebody has £50,000 for a new car, you wouldn't recommend one for £20,000 because it would do most people.

Yes, a 6800 is enough for most people. I'm actually trying to buy a 3060Ti myself. However, the OP has £1,400 set aside for a GPU so a 6900XT, 3090, or possibly a 3080Ti are the only three possible options.

OP: "what would my min specs be in either geforce and radeon and mid range also"

Associate
I am in a similar situation. Building a living room VR gaming PC. I have a 3080 in my normal gaming PC that is going in the living room PC, and a 3070 Ti I got last week on the Nvidia drop is going in the gaming PC. I am waiting a month to see the new headsets, as the PC build itself is going to take a month or so (some modding and painting involved).

Soldato
Try and get a 3080FE for £649 and if you don't manage to get one as they sell out fast then either the 3080ti FE or 3090FE will still be in stock for a while longer.
Yeh I managed to get a 3080 Ti FE recently for £1,049.

Value isn't as good as the 3080 but was far easier to actually purchase new.
It's definitely better than getting a scalped 3080 for more than that.

Soldato

Would you pay double the price for the same car but with a 3.2ltr engine as opposed to a 3.0ltr? Just because you have the money doesn't mean you should waste it.

For OP going from an R9 290 + 4770k any of these new cards would feel absolutely massive in terms of the upgrade.

Back
Top Bottom